Dating a Harmony Ukulele

Rapidi

Reaction score
I just picked up an old Harmony soprano ukulele. I’m trying to date it. It has a double ring around the soundhole. It has no label on the headstock, but it does have one inside the soundhole. The label is plain, rectangular, with “Harmony” in the typical company cursive in the middle and “Est 1892” centered underneath. (See the attachment.) No other markings. I’ve seen websites that discuss and illustrate Harmony’s various headstock labels over the years, but no soundhole labels are mentioned. I’ve seen online one other Harmony with the same sound hole label, but it has no information about its date. Thanks for whatever info you can provide.

Attachments

• F708F0D4-A7FB-4072-BE40-87477A525A02.jpg
    F708F0D4-A7FB-4072-BE40-87477A525A02.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 53
My opinion is that this is a later Harmony, and not a Chicago built one. Could you show more of it, including the tuners?

That is interesting. It is amazing to learn more about this.

Most likely from the 70s

Definitely newer, and definitely not Chicago built. So could be from any time in the last 50 years - someone is still using the Harmony name on Chinese built instruments.

You are apparently correct. Another couple of people, including here, have said it is not truly a Harmony, but one under the Harmony name. Sears owned Harmony from 1916 and when Harmony stopped its Chicago operations in 1975 kept the name. It was likely built in Japan or Taiwan in the 70s.

As an aside, after posting this question I noticed, by straightening out a crumpled corner of a document that came with it, a zip code from a warranty company. Zips began in 1963. So it was made and sold sometime after that date, which, of course, would include the 70s.

Top Bottom