1.5" nut Baritones

graphics1988

Reaction score
I recently got a fantastic MyaMoe baritone and I am thinking of either adding another (except 1.5" nut) OR trading someone for similar quality bari in the wider nut.
The Kanile'a baritones are the 38mm, so those are a possibility...any other higher end brands that nut width - or is that hit n miss?

Brian Griffin of Griffin Ukuleles make his baritones for any width nut the person wants.His usual builds now are 1.5" unless the owner wants a different width.

He started Stu Fuchs baritone just a few days ago.

Most baritones have 1.5" nuts. But the string spacing varies quite a bit, from 27mm (same as with most standard nuts) to 30mm (my preference). To me, this is the more critical metric, but it can be hard to get accurate (and consistently measured) info on string spacing from vendors. You should also check the spacing at the saddle, since this has even more effect on string spacing as you move up the neck.

Hawaiian Music Supply lists the nut width in their specs--and is a good place to buy from.

Thanks - yeah I have a digital micrometer guage - the Mya is 1.39" at the nut...string spacing is 5/16"....the Oscar Schmidt i have is 1.53 and spacing 25/64"...im sure i can reduce that measurement down to a lower fraction - but i had a 14 hour work day...so....nope. hahaha... thanks for the info as well...from you both. Have a great night :)

Most baritones have 1.5" nuts.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. I was able to find so many baritones with a 35mm nut width. Pono, Uluru, the new Snail S60B to name a few. I think the majority will still have a wider nut width but it's probably closer to 50/50 than something like 90/10.

Kamaka baritones certainly have a 38mm nut width. I'd definitely look at those if you're after a high-end baritone. Not sure about the string spacing though.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. I was able to find so many baritones with a 35mm nut width. Pono, Uluru, the new Snail S60B to name a few. I think the majority will still have a wider nut width but it's probably closer to 50/50 than something like 90/10.

Pono's 35mm nut is super comfortable for me. String spacing is 28mm. I think 38mm would be a little wide for me and make my technique sloppier. Agonized a lot over this when I commissioned a custom banjo (where nut widths range from 29 to 35mm) - eventually I settled for 34mm based on my experience with the Pono baritone (steel strings are thinner), even though I do fine with the 32mm of my current banjo.

What's the attraction of very wide nuts like 38mm (1.5")? Even classical guitars have comparatively narrower nut widths (52mm at the most, but six strings).

Pono's 35mm nut is super comfortable for me. String spacing is 28mm. I think 38mm would be a little wide for me and make my technique sloppier. Agonized a lot over this when I commissioned a custom banjo (where nut widths range from 29 to 35mm) - eventually I settled for 34mm based on my experience with the Pono baritone (steel strings are thinner), even though I do fine with the 32mm of my current banjo.

What's the attraction of very wide nuts like 38mm (1.5")? Even classical guitars have comparatively narrower nut widths (52mm at the most, but six strings).

My 'technique' is sloppy to begin with! LOL...I am a 10yr bass player dabbling with Bari ukes - so wider nut width and scale length DEF has no impact on me...most of my basses are 1.5" to 1.75" with a scale length of 34"....so these are miniature basses in my eyes lol....this also makes me wonder if a Ubass can be strung as a baritone? - i have to research the scale length etc - prob some nut and bridge work would need to be done to accomodate the thin strings. hmmm

Definitely makes sense to stick to what you're used to in terms of measurements. Makes it easier. :)

I agree, the problem with stringing a bass like a baritone would be the nut slots (way bigger on a ukulele bass to accommodate the beefy strings) and possibly the bridge. The tuners are different, too.

Definitely makes sense to stick to what you're used to in terms of measurements. Makes it easier. :)

I agree, the problem with stringing a bass like a baritone would be the nut slots (way bigger on a ukulele bass to accommodate the beefy strings) and possibly the bridge. The tuners are different, too.

yeah...darn, i figured that unfortunately. Thanks for the confirmation of going down a rabbit-hole of research (and money) lol...

That Mya Moe 1.39" nut width would translate to 35 mm. Can you measure the string spread from outside the 2 outer strings? 5/16" between strings sounds rather small.

Ok - from outside to outside strings .... 28mm, or 1.10", or 1 7/64" ....and i don't have overly large hands, but i think my fingers are on the long side. So the 1.5" suits me a bit better - i have a good fret spread from playing bass - so it must be just my personal pref. (or amateur skills) hahaha Cheers

My Kinnard baritone has a 1.5 inch width at the nut and is really easy / comfortable to fret.

One of my favorite ukuleles is my Briar Road baritone. Very smooth playing and a 1.5 inch nut.

Yeah i just saw a comment to a Mya video on Youtube by Gord/Char and they said the standard Mya nut is 1.375". They obv have a huge following for a reason - so who am i to judge lol. I love this uke - and I hope the next one i get sounds JUST like it - this one is REALLY loud, and bright but not harsh bright - just loud and clear. Dave (who owned it prior) put his special strings on it - so that likely helps a LOT too. I shall keep my eye open for my next one and offer a trade or buy it outright. Thanks all.

Thanks - I played it for 3 hours yesterday - I am finding it much easier to do barre chords on the 1.375" radius nut, so this little powerhouse will be staying unless someone entices me otherwise. lol Thanks again guys.

Thanks - I played it for 3 hours yesterday - I am finding it much easier to do barre chords on the 1.375" radius nut, so this little powerhouse will be staying unless someone entices me otherwise. lol Thanks again guys.

Hey Scott, I was going to suggest just that, play it exclusively. If I am switching between different nut widths it can cause sloppy playing. If I stick to one size it smooths out. About 95% of my instruments are 1-3/8” with a radius fretboard.

take a look at the Kelali baritone ukes on ebay...occasionally here on markerplace. they have a true 1 1/2" nut...very good price and solid woods, made in USA

Thanks - appreciate it. I have my eye on something - but getting so used to the 1.375, that i may just not bother. This Mya is an absolute bombshell...so...gunna take a real special one to make me decide. Thanks again :)

Top Bottom