Don't Be Like Me! (Relearning the Uke)

Ukettante

Reaction score
Here I am, returning to playing and the forum after close to two years of not touching my ukes or guitars. In those two years, I got into fitness, working out, and got sidetracked. I kept telling myself, I can get back into playing ANYTIME, and everything would just come back to me, just like in the movies. Well, guess what? It ain't like that! I had to print out a uke chord chart and relearn all the chords! The fretboard, once so familiar to me, is a mystery again. The only thing that's stuck with me is theory.

What finally brought me back to the ukulele was serendipity. Last Thursday, I was hanging from a pull-up bar at the gym, just stretching. Then, over the sound system, drifted "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, and tears started streaming down my face . . .

Incidentally, on my fitness journey, I realized that my shoulders, especially my left shoulder, were internally rotated. I suspect it's from fretting and being too tense, too hunched forward. Took me a while to rehabilitate, so I would advise everyone to be mindful of their form when playing. But hey, maybe it was just me.

Anyway, good to be back!

I keep meaning to restart with my ukes too, I've been away about the same amount of time, but my reasons were, & still are, other instruments. :)

My harmonicas, whistles, flutes, & fifes, just seem easier....... :cheers::music::uhoh:

I wouldn't mind being like you and getting back into fitness! ;)

I still pick up my ukes every few days, but the banjo is the instrument that gets daily playing time. It's still fairly new to me, though, so that's expected. The banjo combines quite a few things I like, though it's not without downsides (frets are very far apart, feels like a rock hanging on my shoulder when playing standing with a strap). Ukes are very accessible, easy to pick up, neighbor-friendly, and super portable.

Welcome back! For me, it just takes days for me to forget stuff. Chords I knew so well, I have to think about because I spent a couple of weeks trying to get my fingers to pick and fret notes instead of strumming.

I know what you mean. I stopped playing any string instruments for a good while, swayed by recorders, flute, clarinet etc. But uke always puts a smile on my face. They really are boxes of joy!

Top Bottom