Thread: Been too long

Default Been too long

Hi everyone, I've been away from here for far too long. I only took up the uke as a way to add another dimension to my guitar playing, but my word did it take over. I did the usual thing of treating myself to a few NUDs and was having a ball. But after being made redundant from my job, I took the time to improve my skills on the guitar and feel I've made good steps in that direction. Then recently I saw a pic of a ukulele and the old heart strings were tugged. Anyway, the long and short of it is I've ordered a Flight Fireball that should be in my grubby little fingers next Tuesday.i can't wait. So I thought I'd look up on you all once again. Looking back on the post I've started or commented on, I'm struck by what a friendly place this is to be and I'm very happy to be back here. It's nice to see some old friends are still haunting the place.
    I'm looking forward to catching up on life in the 4 lane.
    There's many a slip twixt a cup and a lip !

Yeah, they're cute little instruments, & I keep meaning to get back to my ukes too, but I still poke my nose in here, just to keep up with how things are getting on without me, (very well, & I'm not missed at all, it seems ).

Enjoy your new tenor.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Welcome back y'all.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Welcome back, Jools1050.
    I've noticed the addictive nature of the ukuleles too. It's somewhat early but I wish you a Happy NUD!

Quote Originally Posted by Jools1050 View Post
    Hi everyone, I've been away from here for far too long. I only took up the uke as a way to add another dimension to my guitar playing, but my word did it take over. I did the usual thing of treating myself to a few NUDs and was having a ball. But after being made redundant from my job, I took the time to improve my skills on the guitar and feel I've made good steps in that direction. Then recently I saw a pic of a ukulele and the old heart strings were tugged. Anyway, the long and short of it is I've ordered a Flight Fireball that should be in my grubby little fingers next Tuesday.i can't wait. So I thought I'd look up on you all once again. Looking back on the post I've started or commented on, I'm struck by what a friendly place this is to be and I'm very happy to be back here. It's nice to see some old friends are still haunting the place.
    I'm looking forward to catching up on life in the 4 lane.
    Welcome back. And condolences on the job loss. I was "made redundant" from my first career in 2004, and took 2 1/2 years to find another job - so I know your pain.

What part of Yorkshire? I went to uni at The University of York back in the 70s and loved it. Beautiful part of the country.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Ah I had to google Flight Fireball. Its certainly a looker.
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert
    Brunswick BU4-B baritone
    And a whole heap of other instruments...

My Music Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Yeah, they're cute little instruments, & I keep meaning to get back to my ukes too, but I still poke my nose in here, just to keep up with how things are getting on without me, (very well, & I'm not missed at all, it seems ).

Enjoy your new tenor.
    Of course you are missed, Croaky Keith!! I think we all cycle in and out on our participation level on the Forum. In my case, if I'm away for awhile, I may not actually notice that someone else had been absent for a spell. And Jools, I go through the same thing that you described-- the uke was my very first stringed instrument (back in 1966), then I got into guitar and thrived on that for many years, and then re-discovered the uke about 8 years ago, and realized what a special instrument it is (and NOT just a little guitar minus the two lowest strings)! So, nowadays I can't seem to make up my mind as between the two, so I've just decided to keep a couple of both around, and let the spirit move me as it may; it doesn't have to be exclusively one or the other. For instance, lately I've been working on a "duo" project with a longtime friend, in which we sing and play our acoustic guitars, and I love doing that. But also, today I'm expecting (in the mail) a set of Fremont Blackline medium tension strings to try out on my Martin S-0, and I can't wait to get them installed and see how they sound!

P.S. The Fremont Blackline mediums are working out really well so far. I have them tuned upward a step to my preferred "a D F# B" tuning, and they sound really punchy. Also, the intonation is very accurate. One thing I like in particular about them is that the 3rd (normally C) string isn't gauged quite as "fat" as with my usual "go-to" strings (Martin M600's), so that 3rd string behaves a little better than I'm accustomed to. Otherwise the Fremonts are very similar (gauge-wise) to the Martin M600's.
    Last edited by Bill Sheehan; 04-09-2021 at 07:05 AM.

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

Enjoy! That Flight Fireball is look mighty good. If I was looking for a mango uke the Fireball would certainly have to be considered.

Hi Besley, I'm in Doncaster , South Yorkshire
    There's many a slip twixt a cup and a lip !

Thread Information