Sell me the idea of a radiused fingerboard

bennyhana22

Reaction score
Hi guys

I understand the concept of radiused fingerboards, but what are the genuine differences/advantages/disadvantages over their flat counterparts?

Is it 'just' a case of barring being easier due to the fingerboard reflecting your natural finger curvature, or are there other significant benefits when playing?

Does it make any difference fretting four finger non-barre chords? Is fingerpicking different?

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Romero Grand Tenor, but note that it doesn't have a radiused fingerboard - I've never had one on a uke. Should that be an issue in my decision to/not to buy...?

All thoughts gratefully received!

Ben
:)

If you've never had one, you probably wouldn't miss it if it doesn't have a radius, I'd say. I would check what the string spacing and the nut width are like. If those measurements are narrower than you like, I would reconsider. The narrow width would make a radius more appealing to me in that case.

Both my tenors and my baritone have 38mm nuts and flat fingerboards. The Enya Nova Concert has a much narrower nut and string spacing, and a slight radius. It felt okay to play, and my fingers adapted quite quickly.

Thanks, Ms Bean. Yeah, the nut on the Romero is purposefully well sized at 38mm, so it's good to know that that isn't an issue. Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Ben

I have one uke that has a radiused fretboard. What I noticed playing it compared to the others with a flat fretboard is that indeed barre chords are a bit easier to manage on it. Sometimes if I'm sloppy with barre chords some of the strings might buzz when strumming/picking because I'm not pushing the strings down thoroughly enough but with the radiused fretboard I don't have to be quite as mindful of my fretting hand when doing barre chords. It's a subtle difference but I do notice it. Makes no difference with four finger non-barre chords, at least to me. The only disadvantage I noticed was with certain kinds of strumming. For example, if I want to strum really fast I have to concentrate on the movement of my strumming hand more than normally because the strings are at slightly different heights. But I need to emphasize that that is a very specific disadvantage, and 99% of the time it has no negative effects. No disadvantages when fingerpicking or doing basic strumming.

That being said, I wouldn't consider a radiused fretboard a must-have feature. The advantage is fairly negligible, and you're limiting yourself to very few models/brands if you insist on it.

I would agree that it probably should not be a deciding factor on a uke purchase. It does make barre chords a bit easier, which of course is why electric guitars have them. But if you don't have an issue with the occasional barre chord now, I wouldn't worry about it. Personally I would prefer a slight radius to the fretboard, but none of my ukes came with it, and after awhile I don't even notice.

Long time guitar player:
My electric guitars have a 12" radius.
My acoustic guitars have more like a 16" radius (i.e., less curved).
The electrics are easier to play, but they also have lighter strings.
2 of my 3 ukes (Blackbird Farallon and KoAloha KTM-25) have no radius.
My Godin MultiUke has a 24" radius (even less curved) but its nut is narrower so it seems to help.
I have no idea if my plectrum banjo has a radius - I don't think so, but I'll have to check.
Bottom line: I agree with besley.

I love this forum - all responses very helpful - thanks so much.

I'll gladly take any other opinions/experiences.

Ben
:)

My baritone has a radiused fretboard and it's not something I'd pay extra for. I can't really tell the difference when playing. I can see the benefits on a guitar, especially one with wide string spacing (classical or 1-7/8" acoustic ones), but not on ukuleles or banjos. But as with everything it's preference and may also depend a bit on your hand size. :)

To echo everyone here: don't limit yourself by insisting on one. If you don't know you need one - you probably don't!

It was pointed out to me that they can be helpful for folks with hand problems/arthritis, but if that's not you, I don't see a real advantage to it.

Thanks so much, everyone. What your hugely helpful replies have done is to remove any concern I might have had of getting a new, upper-end tenor without a radiused fingerboard. Amazing, you guys.

Ben

Of my 4 ukes only one has a radius. It is very slight. I honestly cannot tell the difference-unlike on a guitar with a 1.75" nut or something. String tension on an ukulele is nothing. What ever. Some will say it makes a huge difference. Sorry - not me.

Buy the Romero. You will like it. I just got a Romero Creations S-K (the oversized soprano in koa) and a mango Tiny Tenor. Very nice instruments, both of them.

I wouldn't let a non radius fretboard keep me from buying an ukulele I really liked in all other aspects. If I was ordering a custom ukulele to be built I would have it made with a radius fretboard. Just one of my 4 ukes has a radius fretboard. I like it. I've played a few other with radius fretboard and I liked them as well. I don't think the other 3 ukes I have are anything less because they lack a radius fretboard. They are all different and I like them all pretty well. The feature can be a plus but it's not a necessity.

On nylon stringed instruments like Ukulele I do NOT like having a radius fretboard.

I think of ukulele to be "like a classical guitar" in the sense that they both use the same kind of strings and the same kind of technique.

Radius fretboards are a thing of steel string guitars, specifically to assist with certain chords due to the increased tension of steel.

On a nylon string instrument like Ukulele, not only do I find it unhelpful for any purpose but it's actually a detriment to my preferred setup and play style.
I like my Ukulele saddle to be like a classical guitar saddle - nearly straight, slightly higher at the 4th (G) side.

Radius fretboards mess with your action since the slope causes the 4th and 1st to be unnaturally higher than the middle strings. Also, they come with radiused saddles which go against the setup I mentioned in the last paragraph.

When I end up with an ukulele with a radius fretboard, I replace the saddle with a straighter one. It's not an ideal match to the radiused fretboard, but it allows me to actually play it.

I did some research on radius fingerboard and asked the similar question some else where.

The others opinions I learned:
The difference between radius and flat fingerboard is small. You won't notice the radius unless you know it has it.
When you switch between radius and flat fingerboard, you won't feel uncomfortable.
Radius fingerboard makes barring a little easier, just a little.

My opinion:
I won't buy radius fingerboard unless I have to. Seems most Ukuleles don't have radius fingerboard, it's safer to stay in the major crowd.
Barring is not that difficult on flat fingerboard, if it is, just practice more.
I read a very good argument somewhere (most likely on this forum), if the radius fingerboard is that useful, Classical Guitar should have already adopted it because it needs it more.
But if you get radius fingerboard, it's not bad too.

Be aware that a radius on the fretboard can possibly throw off your playing technique. I understand that James Hill requires a flat fretboard on his custom ukes. I have both types of fretboards. And honestly I dont consciously notice a difference when I play. I have been told by a well respected and knowledgeable luthier that there are good sonic reasons for a uke to have a flat fretboard rather than a radiused one.

One of my 3 tenors has a radius fret board. I don't have large hands and thought it would make barring easier. I've found that I have an easier time barring on my other tenors. I tend to roll my barring finger a bit toward the body of the uke. That doesn't work as well on the radius. I have to consciously tell myself to not roll on the radius fretboard. I tend to use my middle finger to bar 7th chords and use the index for major 7th chords.

Top Bottom