Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for high tension low G fluorocarbon strings to drop tune to DGBE?

Default Recommendations for high tension low G fluorocarbon strings to drop tune to DGBE?

Aloha UU. I use Martin Fluorocarbons (gCEA) for my tenors and because they are high tension, they work pretty well for drop tuning to dGBE.

Anybody have any suggestions for high tension low G fluorocarbons that can be dropped to DGBE? I was thinking maybe I could use the wound D string from Martin bari fluorocarbon strings for low G. I think a shorter scale length would have less tension so a D string for a bari should tune up ok to G on a tenor and then be good for DGBE? I have put an entite set of Martin bari strings on a tenor before and it sounded fine to me. Any thoughts on this?

Would a single wound string sound good for DGBE? Anybody know of all unwound high tension low G fluorocarbon strings?

Mahalo in advance for your input.

I answered in my other thread too. To summarize, use a wound 5th string from a classical set and any normal tension low G tenor set you like. You may or may not want a wound G as well

Here are some other threads:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=teno...nderground.com
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Southern Cross concert GCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    I answered in my other thread too. To summarize, use a wound 5th string from a classical set and any normal tension low G tenor set you like. You may or may not want a wound G as well

Here are some other threads:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=teno...nderground.com
    This will be good to tune down from GCEA to DGBE?

I'm trying to get my head around what you're asking.

Are you asking for string recommendations for tuning a TENOR ukulele to DGBE like a baritone?

In that case, don't use a GCEA set at all. Obviously the tension will be too low.

Get a classical guitar set of strings (eg: D'addario Pro Arte normal tension), and use the middle 4 strings (ADGB) of the set.
    These should tune up to DGBE on the tenor ukulele scale just fine.

I've done it many times before.
    The results aren't usually spectacular, because the small tenor body isn't the best for handling a tuning that low.

If you want a re-entrant high D tuning there are commercial sets available, eg: Living Water, Aquila.. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by roastbeast View Post
    This will be good to tune down from GCEA to DGBE?
    Not tune down - use the low G as your 3rd string, the "C" as your end string (ok, this is tuned down a half step), and the E as your first string. You won't use the A string at all.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Southern Cross concert GCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

...Or you could just do it. Take your low-G string set and tune to DGBE. You're not going to have that traditional Tiny Tim timbre that resembles strumming a guitar between the bridge and the tail-piece; it is going to be warmer, but that's okay--especially if you're in a desultory mood and wish to play something a bit more heartfelt than "Popcorn."

Hi. Yes! Have you tried the D'Addario EJ99TLG for low G tuning? These fluorocarbon set are bright and modern if that's your thing? I swear by them. I've literally tried around 6 different packs but the sound was too boggy and dull for me...Ernie B, Martin & Aquila. I found DAdds are def worth a try that's for sure . https://authorityguitar.com/beginner...ulele-strings/

Quote Originally Posted by kissing View Post
    I'm trying to get my head around what you're asking.

Are you asking for string recommendations for tuning a TENOR ukulele to DGBE like a baritone?

In that case, don't use a GCEA set at all. Obviously the tension will be too low.

Get a classical guitar set of strings (eg: D'addario Pro Arte normal tension), and use the middle 4 strings (ADGB) of the set.
    These should tune up to DGBE on the tenor ukulele scale just fine.

I've done it many times before.
    The results aren't usually spectacular, because the small tenor body isn't the best for handling a tuning that low.

If you want a re-entrant high D tuning there are commercial sets available, eg: Living Water, Aquila.. etc.
    Aloha kissing, in my quest to max out my uke fam, I've decided to consolidate my baritones to just one. But I would like the option of having more than one linear baritone tuned instrument to play with, without the need to restring. I'm primarily a tenor player and have been able to tune my gCEA tenors to dGBE using Martin Fluorocarbons because they are high tension and still work decent enough when tuned down. I'm wondering if there's a similar low G, unwound being first preference, set that I can tune down, without a lot of flop, to DGBE.

At the moment I'm thinking the wound D string on Martin's baritone set can be tuned up to low G and then be fine for DGBE tuning. Will experiment but I'm wondering of there's a recommended high tension low G set out here where I don't need to combine two sets to get desired tuning flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Not tune down - use the low G as your 3rd string, the "C" as your end string (ok, this is tuned down a half step), and the E as your first string. You won't use the A string at all.
    I already do this with my Martin re-entrant gCEA strings.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt197733 View Post
    Hi. Yes! Have you tried the D'Addario EJ99TLG for low G tuning? These fluorocarbon set are bright and modern if that's your thing? I swear by them. I've literally tried around 6 different packs but the sound was too boggy and dull for me...Ernie B, Martin & Aquila. I found DAdds are def worth a try that's for sure . https://authorityguitar.com/beginner...ulele-strings/
    Not yet! Can they be tuned down to DGBE as well?

Thread Information