Recommendations for high tension low G fluorocarbon strings to drop tune to DGBE?

roastbeast

Reaction score
Aloha UU. I use Martin Fluorocarbons (gCEA) for my tenors and because they are high tension, they work pretty well for drop tuning to dGBE.

Anybody have any suggestions for high tension low G fluorocarbons that can be dropped to DGBE? I was thinking maybe I could use the wound D string from Martin bari fluorocarbon strings for low G. I think a shorter scale length would have less tension so a D string for a bari should tune up ok to G on a tenor and then be good for DGBE? I have put an entite set of Martin bari strings on a tenor before and it sounded fine to me. Any thoughts on this?

Would a single wound string sound good for DGBE? Anybody know of all unwound high tension low G fluorocarbon strings?

Mahalo in advance for your input.

I'm trying to get my head around what you're asking.

Are you asking for string recommendations for tuning a TENOR ukulele to DGBE like a baritone?

In that case, don't use a GCEA set at all. Obviously the tension will be too low.

Get a classical guitar set of strings (eg: D'addario Pro Arte normal tension), and use the middle 4 strings (ADGB) of the set.
These should tune up to DGBE on the tenor ukulele scale just fine.

I've done it many times before.
The results aren't usually spectacular, because the small tenor body isn't the best for handling a tuning that low.

If you want a re-entrant high D tuning there are commercial sets available, eg: Living Water, Aquila.. etc.

...Or you could just do it. Take your low-G string set and tune to DGBE. You're not going to have that traditional Tiny Tim timbre that resembles strumming a guitar between the bridge and the tail-piece; it is going to be warmer, but that's okay--especially if you're in a desultory mood and wish to play something a bit more heartfelt than "Popcorn."

I'm trying to get my head around what you're asking.

Are you asking for string recommendations for tuning a TENOR ukulele to DGBE like a baritone?

In that case, don't use a GCEA set at all. Obviously the tension will be too low.

Get a classical guitar set of strings (eg: D'addario Pro Arte normal tension), and use the middle 4 strings (ADGB) of the set.
These should tune up to DGBE on the tenor ukulele scale just fine.

I've done it many times before.
The results aren't usually spectacular, because the small tenor body isn't the best for handling a tuning that low.

If you want a re-entrant high D tuning there are commercial sets available, eg: Living Water, Aquila.. etc.

Aloha kissing, in my quest to max out my uke fam, I've decided to consolidate my baritones to just one. But I would like the option of having more than one linear baritone tuned instrument to play with, without the need to restring. I'm primarily a tenor player and have been able to tune my gCEA tenors to dGBE using Martin Fluorocarbons because they are high tension and still work decent enough when tuned down. I'm wondering if there's a similar low G, unwound being first preference, set that I can tune down, without a lot of flop, to DGBE.

At the moment I'm thinking the wound D string on Martin's baritone set can be tuned up to low G and then be fine for DGBE tuning. Will experiment but I'm wondering of there's a recommended high tension low G set out here where I don't need to combine two sets to get desired tuning flexibility.

Maybe I'm confused about what you're trying to accomplish. You want a linear DGBE tuning for tenor scale, yes? How about starting with this
https://www.stringsbymail.com/pepe-romero-strings-ubb-baby-baritone-ukulele-set-24589.html

Then if there's something you don't like about that, we can go from there

I'd like suggestions for a high tension, low G tenor set of fluorocarbons (preferrably unwound) that I can drop tune from GCEA to DGBE. I can do this on my tenors using Martin Fluorocarbons - gCEA drop tuned to dGBE - with relative success.

So... my uke's primary tuning would be linear GCEA with the option of tuning down to DGBE with strings that won't get too floppy.

Last edited:
So... my uke's primary tuning would be linear GCEA with the option of tuning down to DGBE with strings that won't get too floppy.
Hmm, I strongly suspect that such a set does not exist. That's a big range to ask from a single set. I suppose your best chance would be these:
https://theukulelesite.com/ukelogic-hard.html

do note the notice about the big low G string possibly not fitting your uke without nut adjustment

In my experience, DGBE on a tenor just doesn't work. The GBE part is not a problem. The problem is, a guitar pitch D requires a longer scale.

However, I love dGBE (reentrant) on a tenor.

-W

Last edited:
I'd like suggestions for a high tension, low G tenor set of fluorocarbons (preferrably unwound) that I can drop tune from GCEA to DGBE. I can do this on my tenors using Martin Fluorocarbons - gCEA drop tuned to dGBE - with relative success.

That sounds to me like a recipe of getting the worst of both worlds.

You will have a tenor G that's uncomfortably high tension, and a baritone D that is too floppy.

How about having a tenor or baritone tuned to DGBE and using a decent capo at the 5th fret when you miss GCEA?

Top Bottom