Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 478 - High & Low & Underground

Default Season 478 - High & Low & Underground

Welcome to Season 478 of the Ukulele! I am co-hosting this week with my friend and musical collaborator, Lynda - aka BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke.

And it’s a theme of two halves. My half is ‘High & Low’ - Lynda will post separately about her half.

So - I’m basically after songs that explore the extremes of high and/or low in all/any sense of the words. These could be:

Physical altitude - for example up a mountain, in an aeroplane, down in a valley... you get the idea;
    Emotional state - for example emotionally high on love or adrenaline or as a result of physical activity, or low because of rejection, depression, failure, loss or for another reason;
    Substance induced - for example highs and lows induced by alcohol, drugs, sugar etc.
    Vocal range - a song that pushes you up to, and even beyond, the highest and lowest notes you thought you were capable of singing;
    Uke related - okay, so we’re all very comfortable at the low end of our ukulele’s fretboard, but how often do we visit the dusty end? (For me the answer is almost, but not quite, never!) So see if you can venture higher up the fretboard than you usually would at some point this week?

If you can think of any other interpretation of high and low I will accept your song. But I would like all entries, even the obvious ones, to point out in the text of their forum post how their song conforms to the theme please.

Usual rules apply - originals, collabs and multitracking very welcome as long as a uke is audible. No song limit, and the season will run from 12.01am Sunday 11th April to 11.59pm Sunday 18th April Hawaiian time.

There will be prizes - 3 awarded by me and 3 awarded by Lynda - details here:

Most of all... have fun!!!

PLAYLIST
    Last edited by DelGriff; 04-10-2021 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Playlist added
    My YouTube channel
    My 'Yazuke' collaborations with bird's eye view of my ukulele
    My 'Griffs' collaborations with Mezcalero
    My collaborations with Liz Brinker

hello!

for my half of this week's challenge, i invite you to bring me...

songs by nico

songs by the velvet underground

songs by nico and the velvet underground together

if you would like to bring an original song, i'd love it if you could try to write a nico-style song!

no song limit

new vids only please, recorded for this season

season begins midnight hawaii time on saturday 10th april, and ends midnight hawaii time on sunday 18th april

HAVE FUN!
    lynda

i'm interested in one thing, and one thing only. and that's the eurovision song contest.

Right on, you two! Thanks for posting early in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by UkeFoote View Post
    Right on, you two! Thanks for posting early in the day.
    you're very welcome! this way we get a good chance to see if there are any questions that need answering, before we away to our beds on saturday night/sunday morning/whenever it is this insomniac midnight-uker goes to bed!!!
    lynda

i'm interested in one thing, and one thing only. and that's the eurovision song contest.

Golly gosh ... you ARE early!!! How about "Climb Every Mountain" in the style of Nico????
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    Golly gosh ... you ARE early!!! How about "Climb Every Mountain" in the style of Nico????
    That sounds like a dream come true! Lol!
    lynda

Ooh - and don’t forget that Jon’s excellent ‘You Or Someone You Love’ season still has over 24 hours to go, so plenty of time to show him some love with a song or two!
    My YouTube channel
    My 'Yazuke' collaborations with bird's eye view of my ukulele
    My 'Griffs' collaborations with Mezcalero
    My collaborations with Liz Brinker

So, new Season, Sunday morning - there's really only one song to do - side 1 track 1 on that Velvet Underground album with the banana on the cover. (Youtube informs me that the copyright holder may place adverts before this video - sorry about that)

Last edited by YorkSteve; 04-11-2021 at 01:33 AM.
    www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

Serendipitous thread! I was learning this song yesterday. Almost as if it was written for Del's theme. Contains " It may be high, it may be low" mountains, underwater depths etc...also has action on the 15th fret. Guitarlele plugged in with tuning GDGCDG. That's guitarlele version of guitar DADGAD. From Luka Blooms's The Acoustic Motorbike album. Irish Singer songwriter...worth a listen. Will try and do a Nico too Lynda.

i'll go High & Low for this week's offering, it's all in the title ... it's an old song but i only know it from about ten years ago when it was performed by one of my favourite bands ever to come out of Liverpool, The Flamin' Mamies ...

just out of interest, as they do have a couple of ukulele players here's a link to The Flamin' Mamies' version ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQkMKzNIMok

Thread Information