Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 478 - High & Low & Underground

And, hello again to our charming (and modest) hosts! Absolute nonsense this ... and it will mean nothing to anyone who hasn't seen "Line of Duty", which is exceedingly popular in the UK - not least with Lynda! I have no idea whether it has crossed the Pond. Anyway, in view of your signature, Lynda, this is dedicated to you ... Nico decided to make an unexpected appearance to sing the praises of Ted Hastings!

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

Nice one Val !!

..to add further to this theme the explanation is in the vid.......

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    Nico decided to make an unexpected appearance to sing the praises of Ted Hastings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en2aKTLHiQQ

well, what can i say? another wonderful day on this fabulous season, everyone! who needs drugs, when there's ukuleles and season 478?!
    lynda

i'm interested in one thing, and one thing only. and that's the eurovision song contest.

SOTU 478 - “In Tall Buildings” - John Hartford Banjolele cover.

Scotch & Soda - learned from The Kingston Trio. This is a much different song from anything else the Trio ever recorded; jazzy rather than folky, but perfect for Bob Shane's whiskey baritone.
    It was discovered by the Trio through the parents of the baseball player Tom Seaver, who had first heard it in a hotel piano lounge in 1932 when on their honeymoon in Phoenix, Arizona. They liked it so much that they had the piano player write it down for them so it would be "their song." One member of the trio (Dave Guard) was dating Seaver's older sister (Katie) at that time, and heard the song on a visit to the Seaver home. Although it is credited to Guard (he had it copyrighted in his name on March 30, 1959, my 15th birthday and just about when I was entering my "folky" phase.), the trio never discovered the real songwriter's name, though they searched for years.
    This is another that I've always played on guitar and am making my ukulele Scotch & Soda debut this week.

Last edited by Jim Yates; 04-15-2021 at 06:25 PM.

A collaboration with the inimitable Miss Louden

HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post

hello!

for my half of this week's challenge, i invite you to bring me...

songs by nico

songs by the velvet underground

songs by nico and the velvet underground together

if you would like to bring an original song, i'd love it if you could try to write a nico-style song!

no song limit

new vids only please, recorded for this season

season begins midnight hawaii time on saturday 10th april, and ends midnight hawaii time on sunday 18th april

HAVE FUN!

Here's my High & Low contribution - written by Paul McCartney for the Everly Brothers reunion in 1984.

www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

High Hopes (1959) by James Van Heusen and Sammy Cahn, with some synthesizer sounds via uke and effect pedal.

(I traded one of my ukes for a couple of effect pedals, and although I don't obviously know what to do with them, it's fun to experiment.)

wow! another great day on the season! what a treat to see and hear bruce with a fab nico and the velvet undergound song super songs and performances from everyone - i really am thoroughly enjoying the week, thank you all for making it such a pleasure!

here's some marc bolan for del's half of the theme... i'm always thrilled when someone brings some marc to a season, i can't guarantee it'll be quite so exciting for del!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    This is a much different song from anything else the Trio ever recorded; jazzy rather than folky, but perfect for Bob Shane's whiskey baritone.
    when i first read this, i thought whiskey baritone was a supercool kind of ukulele, and did i need to try and find and buy one, until i came to my senses!!!
    lynda

i'm interested in one thing, and one thing only. and that's the eurovision song contest.

Thread Information