Season 478 - High & Low & Underground

Nico's "60/40" for banjo ukulele with singing, with baritone ukulele "drums", Ashbory Ubass, and stylophone-controlled synthesizer.
Nico sings this very low; I sing it uncomfortably high.

cheers Del and Lynda!

Morning!

Cheers for the co-hostiness!

I've been gifted a day off (on the same day that pubs re-open!? What were the chances...) so I've taken the opportunity to play probably my favourite VU song for Lynda's half of the season.
Del, I'll think of something suitable for you over a couple of pints later...

Cheers!

This is a good one that I never realized was so very easy to play!

From Blondie.

Ahoy all - hope this account works...
Here is a song that fits the criteria, I believe.

I did a high song, so here's a low one. I promise I'll try to do an underground one for Lynda too later this week! This was written by Ralph McTell for a friend who was in an emotionally low place, reminding us that perhaps our problems aren't so bad after all.

I've been wanting to try this one for a while. Ever since I saw an interview with Ralph McTell where he explained the background, then said there were a thousand covers on youtube, all of them awful. Well, sorry Ralph, that just made me want to make it a thousand and one! And I still think it's a great song, even if all of us amateurs are ruining it...

I've been moving my gadgets around again and fiddling about with settings, in the hope that technology can make these videos sound better. If it doesn't, I'll have to resort to practising more, but, pfft, who has time for that...

Bonsoir, Lynda and Del! This is a song for Del's half of the week as it is concerned with looking up into the sky, which is where rainbows are generally found ... I also thought the general tone was optimistic, which also fitted with the "up" theme. Actually, I have to confess, I'd never heard it before yesterday - for some reason, we never got into "The Muppets" - but it is really sweet!

Hello, Del and Lynda! Thanks for hosting and for the great themes! Here is one that mentions high and low especially for you. I really love the Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell version of this song.

Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson

Last edited:
Hi Del and Lynda!

I’ll get a high one in here eventually, but here’s a JJ Cale low one. Just your basic three-chord shuffle ...

Here was my first thought for Del's part of the theme. Apart from the obvious metaphors in the title and lyrics, the main appeal of this song is the duelling solos between Flea and Dave Navarro at the end, which I've tried to replicate here.

Another great day on the season, really wonderful songs, everything's been such a pleasure to listen to, thank you to everyone bringing all this good stuff! Lovely Del is looking after the playlist for the both of us which is really kind of him. If you don't see a comment from me on your video as the week goes on, please give me a shout via PM, I don't want to miss anything!

One for Lynda's portion.

I wish I could more consistently get the timing right (to me) on the 2nd fret of the A string during the twiddly G bit. When it lands right there is a really nice sort of double note effect.

Thanks for hosting Del and Lynda. I have a couple songs that have been waiting in the wings that I think fit pretty well.

Well I've gone high and low, so I'll finish (probably) for the week by going underground. This is the opening track from the 1970 Velvet Underground album, Loaded:

On a tenor ukulele, with a baritone joining in for the second verse.

Rebonjour, Lynda and Del ... I am still up high! If I seem to have a bit of an obsession with mountains, then it is probably because I grew up at sea level, literally ... in "Sunny Seaweed on Sea," so it still comes as a bit of a surprise to look out of the bedroom window on a clear day and see the mountains on the horizon. The photo I used in the video is of the sun rising over Le Puy de Sancy ... about an hour-and-a-half's drive away from us and the highest point in the Massif Central at a height of 1,886 metres (6,188 feet.)

Since a most ridiculous copyright claim has been made on the video - basically that it is another song altogether (is my singing REALLY that bad?) - I think I have nowhere else to go now but underground ... I'll see you there later! (P.S. I have now disputed the claim, which will probably result in my being chucked off YouTube!)

Last edited:
::::Substance induced - for example highs and lows induced by alcohol, drugs, sugar etc.:::

If the performer intentionally set out to record something while they themselves we high as a kite, would that count?

NOt that I would do such a thing.

::::Substance induced - for example highs and lows induced by alcohol, drugs, sugar etc.:::

If the performer intentionally set out to record something while they themselves we high as a kite, would that count?

NOt that I would do such a thing.
Bring it on! :D

Quick note. YouTube is having problems registering likes. It would appear from my experience that you can click like and the little blue thumb thingy shows up and you think everything's good, but actually other people can't see what you've done. so if you're thinking we don't like what you're doing, that's a youtube lie! We're loving everything this week! unfortunately there isn't even a button for I really really really really love this. Mind you, if there was, it probably wouldn't work!

another homemade-y for del's theme

"higher than the sun (odin sent me)"

several mentions of flying unfeasibly high

and photos and video footage of crows masquerading as ravens

Top Bottom