Season 478 - High & Low & Underground

How low can you go? "I've been down, but not like this before." This is a Little Feat song.

Celtic Legend has it. If a Scottish Soldier dies in a foreign land then his Spirit takes the Low Road Home.

I played a VU and Nico song specifically for Lynda's part, and I played a "High" song for Del's part. Here's one with a foot in both camps... From Nico's album Chelsea Girl, so check there. Written somewhat famously by a 16 year old Jackson Browne. How low do you have to be at 16 to write this timeless classic? So check there (I think).

Also, I want to say thank you to Ryan - a few seasons ago you played a terrific version of song that you said had always given you trouble but that you hadn't revisited in a while. I had had the same experience with "These Days". When I read your intro to that video I thought, "Hey, I haven't tried to play These Days for a while. Maybe I should give it another go." And for whatever reason this version just sort of fell into place. Not the most difficult song I've ever learned, but an elusive one for sure. Anyway, thanks for the reminder to keep taking a crack at something left alone for a while as "Too Difficult".

The chaos surrounding me has abated somewhat this week, but this thing is far from over. Even though I've had to record away from the windows in fear of stray bullets, this community has always been and will continue to be a steadying influence for me personally, especially the people here. Was able to collaborate this week with a very lovely and talented one... Thanks, Elizabeth!

Hi. When pondering this week's "High & Low" theme, this tune kept coming to mind. It's an instrumental version of the main theme from the HBO miniseries based on WWII, "Band of Brothers." Thanks.

another one for del's half of the theme... starting the song as low as i possibly could, to allow for how high it would take my struggling voice by the end, and obviously it's about psychedelic drug highs and lows...

"white rabbit" by jefferson airplane

I was sure I had posted this last night! D'oh! In 2013, alt-rockers Juliana Hatfield and Matthew Caws (of Nada Surf) put out a great album under the name Minor Alps. This is a song from that album.

Edit: Ah, there's the problem. Like a fool, I posted it on the open mic thread instead of here.

Last edited:
An original for the High and Low theme. Fingers started cramping up in the middle, hence the smile as I internally acknowledged I will never sing a perfect take. Now I can relax, get some popcorn and start listening to everyone else's songs.

Here is the song I performed at yesterday’s Zoom session. I asked Liz to join me on this one and once again I’m very glad and grateful that she did - thank you Liz!
Although high and low are represented in the form of top and bottom, the song concentrates on the middle ground. As co-host, would I have accepted it if somebody else had done it for this week? Yes I would - so on those grounds I’m letting it in! :)
Kermit’s nephew Robin, who makes a guest appearance in the vid, did this originally, and the words are from an old A.A.Milne poem. :)

Oh no.....I realise that I have made a huge booboo.... I thought in my delight at Del and Liz's version of Robin's "Halfway Up the Stairs" was for Liz's season and i thought that'll fit del and Birdseye's season and I done this instantly and now realise that I have made yet another Faux Pas. Oh well, it is what it is. Inspired and delighted by Liz and Del I bring you another "Halfway" .

Wow... It has been 10 months since I've posted a video! And for 5 of them, I was unemployed and unmotivated!

I still don't have a lot of time, but today... I had a chance to do 3 "One and Done Videos. (Had to - I don't remember how to use the software!)

I was really tempted to try "Timothy" by the Buoys as the "Underground" portion, but that would have meant finding the lyrics and figuring our how to play it...

So I've got Three, all done today, in a single section.

I've got them divided by "Attitude", "Amplitude", and "Elevation". I'll let you figure out which is which. Enjoy!

Willie Nelson

The New Riders of the Purple Sage

Red River Dave McEnery

More great songs and vids! Nearing the end of this wonderful season now... Here's another little homemade-y for del, inspired by the upliftingly gorgeous weather we've had this weekend here in the UK...

Desert Pavement did a wonderful version of this one already. This one's got a different style, at least.

As Andy noted, this one's got a highway in the lyrics, explores truly low feelings, and it was originally performed by Nico.

Thank you all, for being there through so many highs and lows all these years we've made music together!

ms. bean, what a great way to end the season, with the highest possible high, and the lowest possible low!

speaking of the highest possible high - what a great week!!! :rock: i've had the best time, and thoroughly enjoyed all the songs for both themes. thanks to everyone for taking part! i am away now to ruminate, cogitate, and no doubt procrastinate, to determine the winners for my half of the theme - see you soon!

Thank you all - an immense week of highs and lows, in which the lows were every bit as good as the highs!
Lynda and I will pick 3 winners each from our own halves of the theme, and announce them in separate posts. This is gonna be tough!!! :)

So... here’s my half of the wrap! Thank you all for a fab week - really enjoyed it! Will my 3 winners please PM or email me with the address to which they’d like me to send their prize. Lynda’s wrap to follow, with more winners! So stay tuned! :)

A huge thank you to everyone who bought Nico and the Velvet Underground this week!

We got off to the perfect start with a beautifully brought "Sunday Morning", on Sunday morning, thanks to York Steve! And my half of the theme ended with two gorgeous covers of the very lovely "These Days" from Andy and Ralf, to close These wonderful Days of celebration of Nico and the Velvet Underground. In between were more jewels of songs from Wim, Brian Fergus, Bob King, Val, JT Steam, and Bruce Rutherford - how lovely to have Bruce with us again this week. Every performance was a delight to listen to - these song sounds so good on uke! Everyone deserves a prize, but I have three to give, so I must pick...

1. Val. it was as if Nico was in the room! Not only that, but an image of the delectable Ted, and his words of wisdom immortalized forever in song...

2. Bruce Rutherford brought "All Tomorrow's Parties" and made it completely his own. Wonderful stuff. Thank you so much for this, Bruce...

3. Andy brought me two gorgeous covers - "These Days" and "I'll Be Your Mirror" which totally caught the feel of these beautiful songs, and, for me, perfectly captured the whole Nico and the Velvet Underground vibe...

if my winners can PM me their addresses, I will send your prizes on their journey to you asap.

Big thanks to my lovely co-host Del, and to everyone who took part this week, the whole playlist and both themes were a delight to listen to. I've had such a lovely time co-hosting. Thank you all!

:music: :rock:

Last edited:
Top Bottom