Review: Noah pineapple soprano

a green field

Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I'd try my own review as a way to contribute to the community. Back in March I reached out to Matt at Noah ukuleles in Britain, following one of Baz's reviews for the same ukulele. I was in the mood for a soprano ukulele to primarily strum and fiddle with aimlessly, as I have primarily tenors and of course they generally sound different. Matt graciously worked out some shipping to the US (45 pounds on top of the base price), and the ukulele came within about a week. For other US residents just reach out for a quote, I think his larger instruments would cost more to ship.

I've copied over the specs here:

Body: Solid Mahogany body, back and sides, and Spruce top
Neck: Solid Maple neck
Nut/Saddle: Bone
Tuners: Available with either friction or geared tuners
Strings: Set up with Aquila strings
Nut width: 36mm
It also comes with a nicegig bag.

According to the website, this has a spruce top and mahogany back. Both of them look nice, although the back could perhaps have been matched a little better. However, for the price (especially in Britain) you have to be reasonable. It came with a small dent of some sort on the spruce top.

The binding and abalone rosette are tasteful, although a bit sloppy with some leeching of the black color into the top wood in a number of places throughout the instrument and around the rosette. It is noticeable but you'd have to be looking closely. Looking from a foot away I think it blends in and isn't too bothersome.

There are a couple other awkward finishing spots; there's some tiny space under the fretboard on the top side where it meets the body. I checked with Matt to see if this might be anything besides some gloss/finish gap and something structural, and he reassured me it was just finishing. There are also a couple thumbtack sized holes on the fretboard, and the fretmarkers on the top and side of the instrument are also a bit unevenly placed.

The final nitpicky thing to mention before I go to the sound of the instrument - the friction tuners are pretty finicky. Hard to tune the instrument. I imagine this is going to open up with time. I asked Matt if I ought to apply some graphite, and he said yes but give it some time to open up.

The instrument was set up well. Action is reasonable, very little buzzing to note on the C and E strings first few fret but I'll tinker with that. It may well just be weather as I didn't hear it a couple weeks ago.

Now to the sound - very punchy, as one would expect from the size and instrument. I don't think it's super bright, there's an element of warmth to it which may be because of the deeper pineapple body. It has been fun to idly strum in front of my computer or on my couch and just try out some new chords and progressions. I am going to switch the strings eventually as I am not a fan of Aquilas so open to suggestions.

Couple sound samples
Random strumming: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yh1bbg16uii1ocn/Random strumming.m4a?dl=0

Playing "The Ash Grove"
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4ec6t6126w9ru0/soprano Ash Grove.m4a?dl=0

Bottom line - I enjoy this instrument. I wish it was a bit neater, but I knew going in that the construction might be messy. I am mainly pointing out the flaws in the finishing to assist others who may care more about having flawless instruments. I think it's probably a better deal for UK folks or those with good exchange rates with the UK, but still a fun, punchy solid wood and luthier made instrument.

Bazmaz's review: https://www.gotaukulele.com/2020/03/noah-pineapple-soprano-ukulele-review.html
Buy at:
https://www.noahukuleles.com/product/noah-pineapple-soprano/

PS - I am not sure how to rotate the pictures so welcome input on that.
IMG_3795.jpgIMG_3796.jpgIMG_3798.jpgIMG_3799.jpgIMG_3800.jpg

Thank you for sharing, a green field. I've been interested in Noah ukes for a few months but with the shipping and duty fees I calculated, the soprano I wanted would work out to $500 Canadian. I'm not sure if I would be better off spending that $500 (eventually) on another uke.

I think $500 can probably buy you more from a Pono or that tier of instrument, but I am not sure about the Canadian exchange rate.

I like Noah ukes a lot and the guy behind them is a top bloke. I know they sometimes have flaws, but this is where personal service and back support comes in. He will bend over backwards to sort issues. That kind of guy.

I think $500 can probably buy you more from a Pono or that tier of instrument, but I am not sure about the Canadian exchange rate.

Is the pound that high or import duties so excessive? Maybe I’ve not understood but I thought that this instrument was circa 240 pound including shipping to the USA?

As I understand it Canada does have import duties, a lower value dollar (than the USA) and shipping charges can be higher. Even a Pono import from the USA is going to have some cost increase issues.

Last edited:
Is the pound that high or import duties so excessive? Maybe I’ve not understood but I thought that this instrument was circa 240 pound including shipping to the USA?

As I understand it Canada does have import duties, a lower value dollar (than the USA) and shipping charges can be higher. Even a Pono import from the USA is going to have some cost increase issues.

I was mostly thinking that it might be a bit too dear after the pound>Canadian dollar than the US>Canadian, all other things held equal.

I was mostly thinking that it might be a bit too dear after the pound>Canadian dollar than the US>Canadian, all other things held equal.

Shipping and customs duties impact a lot of things: by way of example a Bruko No6 is (IMHO) pricy in Canada but a real bargain if you live in Germany (where they are made).

Here in the U.K. a basic Pono Soprano would retail at circa 330 pounds, that’s well over the Noah’s price for a much less ‘fancy’ instrument. The Pono isn’t cheap but shipping charges from the USA and local taxes are significant so that price is sill locally ‘competitive’. If I was in the market for a Soprano then, compared to the Pono, the Noah would be the more obvious choice here in the U.K.
https://theukeroom.com/product/pono-ms-solid-mahogany-soprano/
https://www.noahukuleles.com/product-category/soprano-ukuleles/

In the USA a Pono Soprano would be circa 359 USD so when shipping, currency exchange and Canadian taxes are are added it’s going to be pricey. So circa 450 Canadian plus shipping plus Canadian Taxes ... heading towards 600 Canadian Dollars?
https://alohacityukes.com/collectio...o-ukulele-solid-mahogany-pono-soprano-ukulele

It would be for the customer to reach out to suppliers for their best costings, but I’d have thought the Noah to be relatively good value.

Last edited:
Shipping and customs duties impact a lot of things: by way of example a Bruko No6 is (IMHO) pricy in Canada but a real bargain if you live in Germany (where they are made).

Here in the U.K. a basic Pono Soprano would retail at circa 330 pounds, that’s well over the Noah’s price for a much less ‘fancy’ instrument. The Pono isn’t cheap but shipping charges from the USA and local taxes are significant so that price is sill locally ‘competitive’. If I was in the market for a Soprano then, compared to the Pono, the Noah would be the more obvious choice here in the U.K.
https://theukeroom.com/product/pono-ms-solid-mahogany-soprano/
https://www.noahukuleles.com/product-category/soprano-ukuleles/

In the USA a Pono Soprano would be circa 359 USD so when shipping, currency exchange and Canadian taxes are are added it’s going to be pricey. So circa 450 Canadian plus shipping plus Canadian Taxes ... heading towards 600 Canadian Dollars?
https://alohacityukes.com/collectio...o-ukulele-solid-mahogany-pono-soprano-ukulele

It would be for the customer to reach out to suppliers for their best costings, but I’d have thought the Noah to be relatively good value.

I think when you put out the math like that, I agree. I think that the examples I've seen/heard sound great, but you may get a ukulele with some/significant blemishes.

I was interested in Noah and the mahogany soprano. I emailed Matt and he does indeed seem like a great guy. He quoted 189 pounds for the instrument, 40 pounds for shipping, and i had duties calculated at approximately $100 Canadian. With exchange rate of that instrument, shipping, and the Canadian duty, it came to $500. Just FYI.

I'm not saying it's not worth it though, or that I won't consider it for a future instrument. I've been following bazmaz's Noah reviews and still like the idea of them.

Thanks - I've just bought a Noah pineapple, spruce top and mahogany body, with sunburst finish. It's a little bit messy, but I knew that going in (I saw a photo), and nothing that affects my enjoyment. The Aquila strings didn't really bring out anything special, so I've just tried some D'Addario Titaniums. Definitely more tone coming out, though I'm not sure these are my final choice of string. Still, I'm happy with it. It's not quite love at first sight, but it's comfortable and pretty and I'm looking forward to playing it some more.

To be honest, when I first looked at the photos, I thought I was looking at a Ohana Pineapple.

Thank you for sharing, a green field. I've been interested in Noah ukes for a few months but with the shipping and duty fees I calculated, the soprano I wanted would work out to $500 Canadian. I'm not sure if I would be better off spending that $500 (eventually) on another uke.

Yes! Those add-ons can be a killer.

Further update - another string change to Martin fluorocarbons. Now I’m in love!

To be honest, when I first looked at the photos, I thought I was looking at a Ohana Pineapple.

Whilst there are lots of 'overlap' ukes (made in same factories and just rebadged) - having met the guy and seen prototypes - these are categorically not re-badges - hand made in Vietnam. Matt who runs Noah (a Brit) used to live there and built a relationship with the luthier. He started with Saigon guitars which he also runs - same workshop.

Very nice. Remember what happened to the price of Timms ukes after Baz reviewed them? :D

I've felt uneasy about that since I wrote the review - it even backfired on me - I had to sell my Timms as our boiler died and it was a case of 'fund that or not have hot water'. When I came to replace it they were twice the price.

Saying all that - I stand by what I said - and certainly think he had them underpriced before. I mean.. he was selling them for the price of some Ohana sopranos..nuts..

Top Bottom