Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tin Ear - Wisconsin U.S.A.

Default Tin Ear - Wisconsin U.S.A.

New member. Beginner and just getting started. Have been checking out some of the beginner threads here for a bit and decided I might as well register in case I need to ask some questions.

Also have been reading a bunch on Baz's gotauke site.

I was torn between a couple choices for Ukes. Bought a Kala Ziricote Tenor. A couple days later I caved in to my self and also bought a Kala Bamboo in Concert size. Ha Ha

Got them this week. Have been just doing a little strumming and tuning them as the strings stretch. Fingering the frets and so forth. Just getting acquainted with them. Like each Uke, but find I really like the Tenor the best so far.

Might be unusual to start off buying two - but I suppose it has happened before. I see that people who get into this wind up owning more than one anyway, so I just have a head start. LOL

It's a bit like Pinball. I have a pretty healthy pinball collection and play pinball quite a bit. I have a good number of pinball machines. Hopefully I can develop a little restraint when it comes to owning Ukes.

Welcome Tin Ear!

Welcome to the UU Forum TinEar! It looks like you are off to a great start.

When things settle down, you might want to check out the uke clubs in your area. It's a lot more fun when you play with others.

I live up near La Crosse. Enjoy your new ukes.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Check out this WI site - lots of free songbooks and sheet music.

http://www.cheezlandukeband.com/

From "just south of the border."

-Wiggy
    Last edited by Wiggy; 04-11-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Hi Tin Ear - welcome to the site. I did the same thing - went with a soprano and a concert as my first two. Ended up primarily playing soprano, but glad I have the concert, tenor, and baritone options in my uke arsenal. There is a time for each size.

BTW, just received my Kala bamboo soprano. Fun little thing.
    - Laura

Martin, KoAloha, Brueko, Mele, Mainland, Outdoor, Kala, Enya, Harmony, Tempo, Globe, Shima, Vega, Silvertone, Kay, Luna, Vorson, Drewek, Zither Heaven, First Act

Welcome to the group!
    Black Bear Sopranino Spruce/Koa~ Living Water
    Ohana TPK-70 G Pineapple Sopranino~ Martin
    Blue Frog Sopranino Maple/Spruce~ Worth Clear
    Ohana Soprano SK-38 Mahogany~ Martin

Thanks for the nice welcomes.

Had a couple friends over to play pinball last night. ( some fully vaccinated friends - it's been a year since I have had folks over to play pinball ) Here comes the Ukulele part. My friend Rob who is the youth Minister for our church plays acoustic guitar a lot. He picked up the Bamboo Uke and started playing it in minutes when he figured out how to translate guitar chords to Uke. He really enjoyed it. I asked him how he liked it. He thought it was very nice. I then asked him if he'd like to take it home and play it awhile. " Oh yeah" - I told him to take it home with him AND Keep It - he really appreciated it and I know that Concert will get a bunch of use. So I'll get to work learning with the Tenor which I think fits me a bit better. I showed my friend the Tenor too and he thought it was nice too, but as he took to that bamboo Uke the way he did I knew it was a perfect for him and a great way for me to give a friend a nice gift that he will appreciate. Pretty neat first week in the Ukulele world...

Welcome to UU, Tin Ear!

Thanks for spreading the uke love. The bug is highly contagious.

Welcome Tin Ear and hello from Chicago, your neighbor to the South.

Thread Information