Tin Ear - Wisconsin U.S.A.

Tin Ear

Reaction score
New member. Beginner and just getting started. Have been checking out some of the beginner threads here for a bit and decided I might as well register in case I need to ask some questions.

Also have been reading a bunch on Baz's gotauke site.

I was torn between a couple choices for Ukes. Bought a Kala Ziricote Tenor. A couple days later I caved in to my self and also bought a Kala Bamboo in Concert size. Ha Ha

Got them this week. Have been just doing a little strumming and tuning them as the strings stretch. Fingering the frets and so forth. Just getting acquainted with them. Like each Uke, but find I really like the Tenor the best so far.

Might be unusual to start off buying two - but I suppose it has happened before. I see that people who get into this wind up owning more than one anyway, so I just have a head start. LOL

It's a bit like Pinball. I have a pretty healthy pinball collection and play pinball quite a bit. I have a good number of pinball machines. Hopefully I can develop a little restraint when it comes to owning Ukes.

Welcome to the UU Forum TinEar! It looks like you are off to a great start.

When things settle down, you might want to check out the uke clubs in your area. It's a lot more fun when you play with others.

I live up near La Crosse. Enjoy your new ukes.

Hi Tin Ear - welcome to the site. I did the same thing - went with a soprano and a concert as my first two. Ended up primarily playing soprano, but glad I have the concert, tenor, and baritone options in my uke arsenal. There is a time for each size.

BTW, just received my Kala bamboo soprano. Fun little thing.

Welcome to the group!

Had a couple friends over to play pinball last night. ( some fully vaccinated friends - it's been a year since I have had folks over to play pinball ) Here comes the Ukulele part. My friend Rob who is the youth Minister for our church plays acoustic guitar a lot. He picked up the Bamboo Uke and started playing it in minutes when he figured out how to translate guitar chords to Uke. He really enjoyed it. I asked him how he liked it. He thought it was very nice. I then asked him if he'd like to take it home and play it awhile. " Oh yeah" - I told him to take it home with him AND Keep It - he really appreciated it and I know that Concert will get a bunch of use. So I'll get to work learning with the Tenor which I think fits me a bit better. I showed my friend the Tenor too and he thought it was nice too, but as he took to that bamboo Uke the way he did I knew it was a perfect for him and a great way for me to give a friend a nice gift that he will appreciate. Pretty neat first week in the Ukulele world...

Welcome to UU, Tin Ear!

Thanks for spreading the uke love. The bug is highly contagious.

Welcome Tin Ear and hello from Chicago, your neighbor to the South.

I have a very good collection of Modern Stern's and also like the pins that American Pinball has made. Hot Wheels is a blast to play, has a classic feel to it and fun to play.

My Stern's do include some music themed pins including the Beatles, Aerosmith and Iron Maiden. Don't know of any pinball machines that have Ukulele tied into the theme so the aforementioned music pins will be as close as we get from the topic road. My pinball journey started out with 1960's and 1970's electromechanical pinball machines ( the old ones with score reels and tons of mechanical switches ) but 4-5 years ago I bought my first modern game and I wound up eventually selling off the old games and started buying the new games. We actually have a local pinball league in my area. Myself and some others have enough machines to host the league. It's been over a year since that has taken place but with some luck maybe in fall we will get back to regular league. The other night was the first time I have had friends over to play in over a year. A few friends that are fully vaccinated came over and it was very nice to play some pinball with others.

It was really neat to do that and of course I had to show my friend Rob my recent purchase of Ukes and I was happy to send one home with him. Known him for years and he is as active as can be with the Youth Group from our Church. I know that Uke will get used there too - so maybe it will spark some younger people to consider giving it a go with a Uke some time.

There will be a delivery man or two showing up with another Uke or two at my house soon anyway. ;)

Top Bottom