Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chord Warning for Beginners

Some of the tab/chord sites allow you to transpose. Ultimate Guitar.com is one that comes to mind. Some of the renditions that people post are really out there chord wise. I don't use them a whole lot. My ears are pretty good and most of the time I can figure things out on my own. If the song is tricky I'll go to my keyboard first.

Also the uke might be detuned slightly.
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert
    Brunswick BU4-B baritone
    And a whole heap of other instruments...

My Music Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post

And as you go through any resource, such as Jim Beloff's Daily 365 (Yellow Book), you'll find wrong chords here and there.

I love the yellow book. It is a great resource. My music background is nine years of primary schooling from fifty years ago.
    BUT....
    it drives me batty when I find obvious errors and the group INSISTS on playing as written.

For example, a G chord is indicated, but the music notation indicates that an F note is being played in the melody line.
    Or,
    Everyone is stumbling to get the timing correct and I point out that we are playing in 4/4 time and the notation is indicating that there are 5 quarter notes in the troublesome measure - can’t squeeze 5 beats in a 4 beat measure.

Awww, have fun and go with the flow

Also.....
    In 4/4 time.....
    And if memory is correct, and the ‘entry’ measure (whatever it’s called) has a single quarter note or one beat,
    The last measure must have 3 beats

Music is wonderful that way, it is pure math — the equation must balance

Or is my 50 year absence showing itself

Quote Originally Posted by Another Ukulele View Post
    For example, a G chord is indicated, but the music notation indicates that an F note is being played in the melody line.
    That's likely accurate and fairly common. The melody isn't limited to the notes in the harmonized chords.

5 beats in 4/4 is less likely to be intentional, but it does happen (technically it probably changes to 5/4 for the measure). Harry Connick, Jr. famously slipped a 5th beat in live to trick his audience back on track:

Music Theory is descriptive not prescriptive.
    Last edited by Arcy; 04-15-2021 at 09:06 PM.

Ultimate Guitar is one of my primary sources for songs. I regularly find songs with incorrect or missing chords. I'm always left wondering how so many people could rate such a song with 4 or 5 stars. It's like they are giving credit for getting close or presenting something that somewhat resembles the song. There's a good number of bad arrangements out there. This was never more apparent than when I was part of a group that had a leader who would just pick 4 or 5 star rated songs without playing them first assuming they were OK and when it came time for the group to play them, it was a train wreck. Another thing that drives me nuts is that multiple sites must use a common resource because I will find the same mistakes on the same song over multiple resources. Another thing that is frustrating is when the chord names are written above the lyric and the proper chord changes don't line up accordingly. That's why I'll always make up my own song sheets with the chord names buried inside the lyrics where the chord changes are supposed to be. It made me feel so good when during one of our Zoom uke group meetings one of the members asked me where I found such nice looking song sheets.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    What exactly is a "wrong" chord?
    A wrong chord is a wrong chord. It's a clunker. It's a clam. When it's played you go, "That doesn't sound right". It doesn't fit. It doesn't work. It sounds unpleasant. It doesn't serve the song.
    Last edited by mikelz777; 04-16-2021 at 04:16 AM.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    A wrong chord is a wrong chord. It's a clunker. It's a clam. When it's played you go, "That doesn't sound right". It doesn't fit. It doesn't work. It sounds unpleasant. It doesn't serve the song.
    Exactly! Sometimes I wonder if the tune was chorded by an actual human, or maybe just some software that didn't "hear" the chords right when running the tune through its algorithms. It's not necessarily subtle differences we're talking about here.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    A mantra that I go by is "If it sounds good, it is good."
    A Duke Ellington quote I learned by way of Professor Peter Schickele...

Thanks, Jim!
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    Except for some jazz compositions, where it is intentional.

Or most things written by Charles Ives.
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Thread Information