Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chord Warning for Beginners

As has been stated, music is subjective.

I use Ultimate Guitar, download into my OnSong and adjust the chords to fit my tastes. It’s easier than typing the whole thing in my self.

One of my favorite songs to noodle is St Louis Blues, in the key of A, and i stylize it far different from how WC Handy wrote it. But then again, Glenn Miller completely reworked it from WC Handy’s version into a march.

My mantra is have fun.

And speaking of fun.....
    Anyone heading to Reno in September? I ain’t buying tickets, which are sold out, almost, but I might drop by if things improve.

From post #1:

[ To be clear, to me "wrong" chords are ones that don't sound like the chords used in the popular recording of the song that I remember. And, to be fair, many songs have been recorded with minor variations in the chording. So, technically, some of what I object to isn't so much wrong as it is just unfamiliar. What's "wrong" to me, may be "right" to you. That's OK. I'm just letting you beginners know that what you find online isn't necessarily gospel. You need to find the chords that make you happy with the song.

Keep on strumming! ]

I appreciate calling this situation to the attention of the newbies and beginners among us!

NOTE: in the quote above, the discussion is not about absolute rightness or wrongness,
    but relative/subjective assessment of the chords suggested in the arrangement being presented.

I've been trying to address this situation in my Facebook>Ukelandia>(SUPA 05-07) Series by
    both making the pdf of the songbook available and creating/posting a video with my rendition
    of the song sheet arrangement. I'm doing this so that those who view the videos and follow the
    pdf song sheet can both see and hear my rendition of the songs presented.

Whenever I arrange a song to share with others I'm simply trying to transcribe what I think I'm
    hearing in my head in a manner that will enhance my fellow ukulele players' enjoyment of both
    the song and their ukulele playing.

I understand that they may not remember the song the way I remember it and that my rendition
    may be based on a completely different 'cover' of the song (so they can't match in every detail).

to err is human and to cut the other guy some slack is probably a nice thing to do

Beginners, it's always OK to question the selection of the chords in a given song sheet.
    Go with your 'gut' and work it out for yourself (trial and error). You may come out with something
    great, or simply work your way back to what was there in the first place. It's the process that
    will help you to both build self-confidence and trust as you progress as an ukulele player.

just my 2 cents

keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@gmail.com )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

Originally Posted by Another Ukulele:
    Also.....
    Also.....
    In 4/4 time.....
    And if memory is correct, and the ‘entry’ measure (whatever it’s called) has a single quarter note or one beat,
    The last measure must have 3 beats.

LarryS answered:I think I know what you mean. Its called an off beat where the first bar has less than the required 4 quarter notes so you have to make it up elsewhere.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The partial measure at the beginning of a song or tune is called a "pick-up" or "pick-up notes". If you plan to repeat the song, you should be sure to accommodate by removing the same number of beats from the last measure so that the beat is not interrupted. The last time through. feel free to stretch your ending as long as you want to (as long as it sounds good).
    Last edited by Jim Yates; 04-25-2021 at 12:46 PM.

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

Those notes in front of the first full measure of music are generally called "pick up" notes. If the song repeats back to the first measure, then the missing beats are accounted for at the repeat. If not, then the song may end without the missing front end beats ever being made up. A conductor will typically provide the missing beats with silent baton or hand movements, bringing the instruments or vocals in on the pick ups.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Thread Information