Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Brightest, Clearest Strings with the Most Sustain?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I really like Oasis strings. Worth Clears are a safe bet too.
    Thanks Nickie!

Graham Greenberg, very interesting. Love the videos. Mine is an Ohana SK-25, one down from the 35 ($200 CAD I should have clarified). But from what I can tell, and from bazmaz's reviews of both, it's exactly the same instrument as the 35 but without the "bling": binding, purfling, friction tuners. For a budget uke it sounds great, and I see George put Martin M600s on his as well!
    Last edited by Farkvam; 04-13-2021 at 04:02 AM.

I'll add a few recommendations to the list:

D'addario Titanium
    Savarez Alliance
    Guadalupe Custom Strings
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

That's great, I have a nice list going here to try :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Farkvam View Post
    That's great, I have a nice list going here to try :-)
    Is there a brand of string that was not yet mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    Is there a brand of string that was not yet mentioned?
    Ken Middleton’s Living Water Strings have not been mentioned and a lot of folk like them. I’m uncertain of costs and relative costs in Canada but as far as I can tell they’re very similar in size to Worth Clear Mediums; here (UK) a packet of Worths is pricey but to compensate each packet has two (or rather double length) string sets in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Farkvam View Post
    Mine is an Ohana SK-25, one down from the 35 ($200 CAD I should have clarified). But from what I can tell, and from bazmaz's reviews of both, it's exactly the same instrument as the 35 but without the "bling": binding, purfling, friction tuners. For a budget uke it sounds great, and I see George put Martin M600s on his as well!
    A very nice pick I think, I’d certainly be pleased to try one out, congratulations. Whilst I prefer Sopranos I also have a second hand CK35 (so the same model range), after quite a bit of playing the CK35 opened up - it’s a better instrument than I’ll ever need. The CK35 is fitted with M600’s, which made it louder, brighter and improved the (now good) sustain. Mim has a nice comparison video in which a new SK25 is shown ... sounded good to me and it will probably sound even better after much use. Enjoy .
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 04-14-2021 at 01:59 AM.

I'll second the Worth Clears and Oasis Brights, but Living Water strings are my favorite. Maybe not as bright as Worth or Oasis strings, but they're very resonant, and they're easy on my fingertips. Plus, Living Waters settle in quickly, stay in tune nicely, and they last a long time!
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

Thanks Graham! :-)

Steedy and Graham, I've wondered about the Living Waters strings and was on Ken's website. Good to know they're a bit easier on the hands too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steedy View Post
    ?.. but Living Water strings are my favorite. Maybe not as bright as Worth or Oasis strings, but they're very resonant, and they're easy on my fingertips. Plus, Living Waters settle in quickly, stay in tune nicely, and they last a long time!
    This has been my experience too. Very comfortable to play.
    KoAloha KCM-00
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele
    Kala KA-SLNG
    Flight TUS35

Thread Information