The Brightest, Clearest Strings with the Most Sustain?

Just an update in case anyone searches this thread looking for the same thing: I restrung my mahogany soprano with the Martin M600 fluorocarbons and it's noticeably brighter, clearer and has added a touch more sustain. Success! Things were sounding too warm and muddy with the Aquilas.

That doesn't mean I won't continue to experiment with all the other great suggestions though. I think Living Waters will be the next to try.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Just an update in case anyone searches this thread looking for the same thing: I restrung my mahogany soprano with Martin M600s and it's noticeably brighter, clearer and has added a touch more sustain. Success! Things were sounding too warm and muddy with the Aquilas.

That doesn't mean I won't continue to experiment with all the other great suggestions though. I think Living Waters will be the next to try.

Thanks again!

Thank you for giving the feedback, that kind of thing supports the UU community.

Justin case you read this in 2031, the M600 product is a moving feast. Back in 2007 it was a packet of crystal nylon strings. Now in 2021 it is a set of fluorocarbon strings.

I’m not quite sure when the M600’s changed to fluorocarbon but it was maybe a decade ago and their latest string offering (a form of Nylgut) has a different identifier (M605). So no recent changes to a winning combination and as M600’s sell well I’d be surprised if they stopped being available.

However, it’s a fair point to register that occasionally manufacturers do change their products. Occasionally they (misleadingly) keep the old identifier and occasionally they resurrect a once popular line but change it in some way whilst using the same identifier. IMHO such disappoints are rare.

Last edited:
I don't play sopranos, so I can't comment about the ideal stings for them. But I can makes a couple of general comments.

If you are looking for the ideal Hawaiian sound, then Nylon or Nylon+ strings are the way to go. They have the bark and that abrupt drop off that is typical.

If you are looking for a more "guitar" sound with longer sustain then fluorocarbon or monofilament are probably what you seek.

A nice in-between sounding string is the Aquila Sugar strings. I think it sounds like a combination of Nylon & Fluoro would sound. They are thick like Nylons.

If you want a good string to use for hand & arm problems, Worth makes low tension & I think the Fremont Black Line Mediums are more "bendy" than other fluoros. I like Living Waters on many of my tenors. I get them from UkeRepublic.com. Much faster than from the UK. Two other good sources for strings if you can't find them locally are: Stringsbymail.com and Stringsandbeyond.com You can get overwhelmed by so many choices. Start with popular strings and then the more "exotic." Give each one a couple of weeks to stretch properly and settle in before you pass judgement. I've had some that I hated at first, but after they settled, I liked them very much.

I started to get tendonitis in my fretting arm and found that I was pressing the strings too hard. You only have to press as hard ans you need to get a clean sounding note/chord. You do not need to press all the way to the fretboard. Plus my wrist was bent incorrectly. Also, a low action setup with lower strings will help a lot. It makes it much easier to play, requiring less pressure. But you do sacrifice some volume. Caveat: Too low and you can affect the intonation or get some string buzz. A good repair shop or luthier can advise what will be ideal for you.

Most of all have fun with your explorations.

Last edited:
That's a very helpful post Kenn2018, thank you! I'll certainly be referencing this during my explorations :)
The issue is with my tendons as well, so that's helpful info.

I would strongly recommend adding UKE LOGIC (soft tension) to your list of contenders. A tad pricey but give them a try if you can.

Thanks MitchC, that's new to me!

Top Bottom