Martin Tenor Uke Unhappy

Towser

Reaction score
Hello,
I am relatively new to Ukuleles but have been playing guitars for many years. I have a Martin style O soprano from the 1920’s, Martin C1K, and now a recently purchased Martin T1K. I love both the Style O and the C1K (low G), I thought based on all the positive reviews I would love the T1K but it still hasn’t grown on me. Both the style o and the C1K are super resonant and warm. The T1K is anemic. The string tension on It, is ridiculous to where it’s actually dampening the sustain and tone. I have it in standard tuning GCEA. The C1K is more full bodied even when I had a high G on it. Is there a set of strings I can put on with less tension? There is no resonance to this Uke. Thanks

Last edited:
One other option to consider is tuning the tenor down a half or full step (B or Bb tuning). That can really improve the feel and resonance of many tenors

I am surprised that there is such difference between c1k and t1k. If the sound is weak and anemic that points more to a need for higher tension. Have you thought about upgrading to the new Martin premium strings or Aquila reds?

I had the opportunity of playing both, C1K and T1K, side by side once. I was going to purchase once of them, their prices are not too different. I really wanted to buy the tenor but the more I played them, the more the C1K outshined the T1K. I, of course, bought the concert size.

So, it's not just you, the C1K is better than the T1K. IMO.

Eugenio

I had the opportunity of playing both, C1K and T1K, side by side once. I was going to purchase once of them, their prices are not too different. I really wanted to buy the tenor but the more I played them, the more the C1K outshined the T1K. I, of course, bought the concert size.

So, it's not just you, the C1K is better than the T1K. IMO.

Eugenio

Yes Eugenio,
My C1K outshines the T1K in every way too! Even when I had the C1K strung with a high G it still sounded fuller than the T1K. Maybe they are overbuilding the T1K’s?

Last edited:
I am surprised that there is such difference between c1k and t1k. If the sound is weak and anemic that points more to a need for higher tension. Have you thought about upgrading to the new Martin premium strings or Aquila reds?

I think I’ll also try changing out the strings.

Contrary to that logic, I find that sometimes tenors benefit from slightly less tension.
Hear me out.

When the tension is too much, the strings are taut and don't vibrate for as long. Also, it may not be easy to fingerpick effectively.

My preferred go-to string for tenors is actually a Concert set of D'addario Pro Arte (or just use the 4th-1st from a normal tension classical guitar set).
You still have some tension; but not as hard as a tenor set.

Using the stock Martin strings, try tuning it down to d-G-B-E (high d) and see what you think. That costs nothing. It gets more in the range of your guitars, but it's interesting...and the tension is low. Even if you don't stick with it, it can be fun to try. I've done it several times with tenors. I don't have a tenor now though. I also play guitar.

Using the stock Martin strings, try tuning it down to d-G-B-E (high d) and see what you think. That costs nothing. It gets more in the range of your guitars, but it's interesting...and the tension is low. Even if you don't stick with it, it can be fun to try. I've done it several times with tenors. I don't have a tenor now though. I also play guitar.

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

Last edited:
If the strings you are using are designed for C, tuning it down for G might be a little flabby, so you have to see what works for your instrument and your tastes.

I wasn't happy with the sound of my TK1 until another player showed me his strung with Freemont Blacks, low G. Much improved!

For that price I'd expect a uke to be perfect. Possibly even play itself!

I had a T1K that was extremely hard to fret due to a high setup. Had to lower the strings at the nut and the saddle to make it playable.

Try Living Water low G's...

I have a friend who got a T1K a little over a year ago and it has a loud, full sound with stock strings.

Last edited:
Hello UkerDanno,
I noticed you have a Tenor as well as a Concert. I think what I’m hearing is the higher tension on the tenor and equating it to higher pitch (Even though I know its the same pitch). It’s like the higher tension on the strings is canceling out the uke of its low end, midrange and resonance. I’ve tried tuning down, different strings and switching out to a low-g. And, due to my concert’s shorter scale and has a low-g it resonates more and has more midrange low end. What do you notice between your concert and tenor? Which one do you play more often? Thanks.

Try Living Water low G's...

I have a friend who got a T1K a little over a year ago and it has a loud, full sound with stock strings.

Last edited:
I tried putting on Worth Brown’s as well. Sounds definitely better and even better with the low g. However, I am finding that I’m just not a tenor scale guy. Unfortunately, I asked the music store where I bought it if I could return it when it was less than 24 hours that I purchased it and was told “No” as they do not accept returns anymore due to the pandemic. I could only return it, if it was defective. So, I’m out $530 plus the taxes. I’ll probably put this on the forum for $400+ free shipping in the Cont US. I’ll have to take a loss, I don’t know what else I can do. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Am I the only one that noticed you're comparing a 1920's Martin built in America concert uke a century ago to a recently built in Mexico tenor? Likely different woods, different glues, etc.?

I bought a T1K early this year as my first uke. I've played violin, viola, steel string guitar, mandolin (and mandola, octave mandolin and mandocello) for the past 47 years. I've owned cheapie instrument-shaped objects and fine custom builds that cost thousands. The Martin T1K is a well built, very good intermediate to professional level instrument. Mine has very good tone, resonance and sustain. I did switch to Curt Mangan strings over the OEM Martins which to my ears sound better.

I find the T1K to have low string tension compared to my mandolins. Those have dual course strings at much higher tension than any guitar or fiddle. The higher tension does not reduce the volume or sustain at all.

Either your T1K is a dud (sometimes happens) needs a setup (almost always the case) or you have bad technique (very frequently the case).

If the sound is super lousy, then it is defective (at least to you). You should pressure the shop again with more emphasis on the fact that your expensive instrument does not work the way you understood it would.

It sounds like the uke is just simply not for you. It happens. At least you gave it a good try.

As to some of the above comments: It's not the sellers fault that the uke isn't liked. Sound is a very personal thing. I had one of the early Martin T1K ukes and it had incredible wood grain...I haven't seen one quite like it since then. The build was the same as they are doing now, as far as I know. I thought it was a good sounding uke. The action on the factory Martins is a bit higher than I like, in my experience...but playable. Setup is a personal thing too of course.
I personally wouldn't buy from a place that didn't have a good return policy, but that's something we have to check going in as a customer.

i'm sure there's someone out there who would enjoy this uke...and can put some money back in your pocket. All the best.

Top Bottom