Exceptional Moore Bettah Ukulele (Produced in May 2018)

MarkJay

Reaction score
A remarkable masterpiece. Condition is Like New. Not a scratch in the lacquer.

I have had this exceptional instrument for almost 3 years but have only used it for half the time. I had an unfortunate accident last year, broke my right arm and strumming wrist, and have had trouble playing since. I thought I would fully recover, but I have realized I will not be playing much going forward, and have decided to sell my mini collection of 4 ukuleles. This is of course the crown jewel.

I posted on this site about 10 days ago asking about where would be the best place to sell this. I had some good feedback and have decided to try here first. I have not followed the market in the last few years and do not have a good feeling for what this is worth - so I have not posted a price. I am happy to speak with anyone about this and accept an offer that seems reasonable. Having said that - please do not send me any low-ball offers, and please do not ask me for a price or you will not make an offer. I'm a reasonable person, so if you are serious, with a serious offer, it should work.

There seems to be a limit of 5 images that can be uploaded. I have plenty more for those interested. The first image was Chuck's stock image of the uke. All other images are current.

The headstock on this ukulele is the quintessential Hawaiian image - a beautiful wahine, in a grass skirt, playing a ukulele !

The headstock also includes a palm tree, water feature, hibiscus flowers, and an erupting volcano in the background. So much in such a small space. The imagery and inlay work on this uke are among the most beautiful (in my opinion) that Chuck has done.

Gorgeous 5A grade Hawaiian curly Koa wood (as indicated on the certificate from Moore Bettah - the top grade), with ebony binding and ebony headstock overlay. The inlay is comprised of scrimshawed faux ivory, Honduran mahogany, recon stone, dyed woods, coconut palm, and Koa.

This instrument (#1810), is very similar to uke #1815 (ask me for photo) which must have been made around the same time and was sold on TheUkuleleSite for a staggering sum. Different wood - but similar decorative inlay work. I like this instrument even more, but as a used instrument, I dont expect to see the same result.

I dont have a sound file to post, but I can assure everyone that like all Moore Bettah tenor ukuleles, the sound is stunning. Rich and wonderful tone with incredible sustain, projection, and clarity. Believe me, the tone on this uke is remarkable and like no other uke I have ever touched. It will create a huge smile on anyone playing it.

I worked with Chuck as he was building this uke. What a gentleman, and artist. It was an experience I will always value, and I am disappointed to have to let this go. For a year now I have enjoyed looking at it - but not playing it. I know that a new owner will love it as much as I have, and truly enjoy its beauty and its extraordinary musicality. This is the kind of instrument that someone will still be enjoying 100 years from now - or it will be in a museum! Original Moore Bettah instrument descriptive papers provided with the sale.
PS: See Chuck's facebook comment on the uke (ask me for the image) ! The ukulele is sold with the most beautiful O'ahu leather case. (Black leather exterior with red stitching, and a plush red interior matching the inlay decorative work, as in the pictures.)

Note: The lacquer finish is very high gloss. It's gorgeous, but very difficult to photograph without getting some unwanted reflections somewhere on the uke. The finish is perfect. If you see a reflection and are concerned about the finish, I can send anyone a closeup picture of that area that will address any concern.

Note 2: Due to the high gloss lacquer, depending upon the lighting, the colors always look a bit different. The first photograph in this posting is the exact photo produced by Chuck to post this uke on his facebook page in May 2018. All other images were produced now to show the exact current condition.

Note 3: This uke will be reproduced and included in the forthcoming new book by Staci Blevins, to be published this June 2021. Staci is the author of the book "Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele".

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 282
  • $_57-1.jpg
    $_57-1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 359
  • $_57-2.jpg
    $_57-2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 309
  • $_57-4.jpg
    $_57-4.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 236
  • $_57-3.jpg
    $_57-3.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 208
My PMs are not working. Do you have an email address or alternate way of communicating?

Hi Tiger,
I am assuming it is ok to send private email addresses here - so you can reach me at Markny2011 @ gmail.com. FYI - I am located in Miami, Florida.
Thanks,
Mark

This is gorgeous. You can post more photos. You could have attached 5 more to your message about email. How much are you asking for this ukulele?

PS: Posting your email address in a public forum is not a good idea

Last edited:
This is gorgeous. You can post more photos. You could have attached 5 more to your message about email. How much are you asking for this ukulele?

PS: Posting your email address in a public forum is not a good idea

My email address has been on every posting of mine for probably ten years and I have never had one spam message or anything similar in all that time. I have however generated quite a few sales from that same email address.

I'm really sorry about your arm. A friend, who is a very good picker, wrecked her arm, it didn't heal well, and she has a whole room full of ukes she can't play.....bummer.
Good luck with your sales.

Thanks Nickie,
I was living in China when I broke my arm and the medical treatment I received was , to be polite, less than adequate. I realized after that incident that it was too dangerous for someone no longer 20 years old to live there. So I have moved back to the US and now working here.
Thanks for the good wishes !

Hi Cornfield,
I am working hard to come up with an asking price that is not crazy high, but also not giving this away.
Hope to have an answer to post tomorrow.
Thanks !

This might be a stupid question, but have you seen a physical therapist or doctor of some sort about your arm here, and trying to get that function back? I imagine that it's worth a shot even if you are over playing ukuleles now. If this was obvious and you already obtained some opinions without success, my apologies.

Hi Green,

Yes - of course I have seen a doctor here. It is not a black or white issue - grey as usual ! They have indicated to me that I could go through an operation (or possibly 2), where they re-break my arm (under anesthesia !) and reset it as it was not set properly in China. That would entail a cast for another 8 weeks, physical therapy, and a total of possibly 7-10 months before they could tell if I needed the second operation. I am not in any pain now, unless I stress it - and I just dont have the functionality that I should. I'm 68 years old. To be honest, I just dont want to deal with what might be a year and a half process of casts and physical therapy at this stage in my life.
Thanks for the thought and suggestion ! if I was 40 I would probably do it.

First of all, truly sorry to hear about why you are selling this beautiful instrument, MarkJay. I hope you find some resolution to your injury.

Second, your ukulele is an absolute stunner! Whoever is the next caretaker (if you indeed decide to sell it) will be one lucky person.

Hi MarkJay, I echo the thoughts about your injury. I also understand your decision.

Fabulous instrument. I'm sure the price you arrive at will be beyond my means. Best of luck with your arm and the sale. Or decision not to sell.

Wow. Just wow.

You have my sincere condolences.

Bettah ukes generally sell quickly for such high-value instruments, and yours is exceptional. Best of luck with the sale.

Curious what part of China (medical treatment)...& how long ago...
Thanks Nickie,
I was living in China when I broke my arm and the medical treatment I received was , to be polite, less than adequate. I realized after that incident that it was too dangerous for someone no longer 20 years old to live there. So I have moved back to the US and now working here.
Thanks for the good wishes !

The original poster, MarkJay, wants to report that he hasn't been able to comment further on this thread because he has been "inexplicably blacklisted" from Ukulele Underground, and he has been unable to get UU admins to respond to his questions about being blacklisted. He also wants to report for anyone interested in the ukulele that he will be posting an auction on eBay on Sunday, April 18.

Was living in Shanghai.
This was about 18 months ago. Fractured arm and wrist. First they somehow said I did not need it set. Then they changed their minds in 3 weeks. It was probably too late. Wore a cast for 8 weeks and then they said it needed to be reset again. Basically - just complete incompetence. After living in China many years, I should not have been surprised, but when you break an arm, you usually dont have a lot of time to deal with it and get second opinions, etc.

It seems my account is now working again ? Perhaps it was the post by MDS that helped. Thank you !

Looking forward to seeing the listing, Mark.

Glad you're back.

Bluesy.

I got that message a couple of times in the last three years. I logged out and restarted my browser and voila! I could post again.

I don't claim it will work every time, but it did then.

Top Bottom