String recs for Silvertone Baritone

Kimosabe

Reaction score
A very good friend just got a very nice deal on a Silvertone baritone that is in very nice condition. He wants to keep it low D. Does anyone have experience with what set from what brand would work well. Currently it has a wound nickel and a wound brass he says. The B string was actually in tune when he bought it. I don’t think it had been touched in years.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Had a Silvertone baritone a few years back. Thought it sounded nice and warm using Aquila Nylguts with 2 wound bass strings.

Silvertone has a narrow neck. I agree, they sound good with nylgut Aquilla's but the playability is better with a higher tension set. I'd go with the Uke Logic flourocarbons and high tension wounds. I would never use an all nylon set on any Harmony built baritone...too floppy

Martin M630 have 2 wounds and a nice bright sound. D’Addario Titanium have 2 wounds and are warmer sounding. I have had good luck with both those sets and they are readily available.

Much obliged to all the above. I have encouraged my buddy to look here for info.

Wow Cat - really good info. Thanks for sharing your journey. I have a Harmony Bari - a guess a cousin to the Silvertone. I've tried a bunch of strings on it - but I've found Aquila Nylguts to be the best bet for the B and E strings. Still playing around with the D and G strings.

Top Bottom