Anyone put a sound port on a Tiny Tenor?

cyber3d

Reaction score
I have a beautiful solid mahogany Tiny Tenor and am thinking of asking a luthier to add a side port to it. But, wondering if anyone has done this before.

A sound port would make it unique, I think. Are they offered with sound ports? I cut one into the side of a Fluke - and shaped it like a fluke (the fish). Of course, that has a composite body, rather than wood. I'm sure a skilled luthier could do that. It should have a strip of support wood around the inside of the hole.

Sound ports confuse me. If they were universally beneficial, then all makers would use them, right? So, when are they useful, and when are they detrimental? Does the port make the Uke sound better to the player, or the audience, or both? Does it effect the volume of the Uke? Just exactly, what does a port do? Has anyone experimented with these things, taken measurements, etc. Inquiring minds want to know! :confused:

Sound ports confuse me. If they were universally beneficial, then all makers would use them, right? So, when are they useful, and when are they detrimental? Does the port make the Uke sound better to the player, or the audience, or both? Does it effect the volume of the Uke? Just exactly, what does a port do? Has anyone experimented with these things, taken measurements, etc. Inquiring minds want to know! :confused:

Their purpose eludes me too. It seems to be a fad that along with "bevelled edges" has emerged in the last couple of years for guitars to justify increasing prices. I am sure they will work well for collecting dust and lint.

The purpose of a side sound port is to benefit the player by directing the sound more towards them. However, it's clearly a luxury feature, and at least in my opinion not a necessary one at all. I've had two ukes with side sound ports. On one it's just a nice-to-have feature and on the other I couldn't notice it at all, would've made zero difference if it wasn't there at all. Theoretically, a side sound port can affect the sound similarly to making the primary sound hole larger, i.e., a larger sound hole will emphasize the higher frequencies of the sound. Whether a small side sound port will really affect the sound in any noticeable way, I don't know.

Same goes for those beveled edges / arm rests, mostly a deluxe feature. If the sides of a uke are nicely rounded anyway I see no reason for those arm rests.

The purpose of a side sound port is to benefit the player by directing the sound more towards them. However, it's clearly a luxury feature, and at least in my opinion not a necessary one at all. I've had two ukes with side sound ports. On one it's just a nice-to-have feature and on the other I couldn't notice it at all, would've made zero difference if it wasn't there at all. Theoretically, a side sound port can affect the sound similarly to making the primary sound hole larger, i.e., a larger sound hole will emphasize the higher frequencies of the sound. Whether a small side sound port will really affect the sound in any noticeable way, I don't know.

Same goes for those beveled edges / arm rests, mostly a deluxe feature. If the sides of a uke are nicely rounded anyway I see no reason for those arm rests.

This is an interesting idea. In times before covid I used to participate in regular acoustic jams with fiddles, banjos and mandolins and I sure had a hard time hearing myself in the beginning and often had no clue if what I was playing even fit in with the song. But with time I learned to play harder and gained more confidence so now I don't feel this is an issue any more. But outside of performing in such noisy environments this would not be an issue and most people would probably prefer to use amplification where you have more control over what the player and others can hear. But I am curious that if you have a sound port that takes out some of the sound waves laterally, if the pressure available to drive the soundboard and be directed forward would not be reduced by the same amount?

I was skeptical until I got my first tenor with a side sound hole. It does make a difference to what I hear as a player. I have done the cover the sound hole vs. uncovered and the difference is clear. I am told it makes no noticeable difference to the sound from the front.

Some sound holes are too large. And can be deafening if they are aimed at my right ear and I am strumming hard.

My Pono MTSH-C-MS has the smallest sound hole 1-1/2" x 3/4". My LFdM has the largest at roughly 2-1/4" x 1-1/4". (Ovals on a curved surface.) Both work very well with the Pono being a little softer in volume.

I like them, but it's not a deal killer if a tenor doesn't have one.

Last edited:
Alan Carruth and Tim McKnight have both researched this topic to varying degrees. You can find their respective results at Side Ports and Sound Ports.

A long time ago, back in B.C. (Before Covid) I played in a group where most players seemed to SLAM their strings with gusto.
I would strain to hear my playing, relying on intuition and the vibration of my instrument to discern if my playing was acceptable.

A sound port would definitely be a worthwhile addition. However, I’m rethinking my participation in some of the groups of that era.
Every Monday night
Every other Tuesday night
Every Saturday afternoon
Every Sunday afternoon for six weeks, then a break
One Sunday afternoon each month

Time to be less committed.

Alan Carruth and Tim McKnight have both researched this topic to varying degrees. You can find their respective results at Side Ports and Sound Ports.

Whoa. The side ports on those McKnights are very interesting. I may consider getting out the Dremel tool and doing this myself. Although . . . not being a luthier . . . and this is a $600 uke. Tempting. But, It'll be a WAG as to what it does to the harmonics et al.
I think my biggest concern is how a side port will affect the Tiny Tenor sustain. It is a very light weight all solid mahogany.

Last edited:

Very interesting. Thanks for posting the links.

Rebel has a high end tenor that had a variable sound port. It has an inner sliding cover that you can open to your desired amount. Yet it is located on the lower bout! You wouldn't be able to point it towards your ear. So I imagine the raison d'etre is to control the air flow. A bit gimmicky but intriguing nonetheless.

http://therebelguitars.com/project/no-6/

Last edited:
I saw Pepe's custom Tiny Tenor with a side port on his FB page (koa). He indicated it was a special order shipping to HMS. So Pepe thinks it okay on that design. It was expensive...

129096905_3398136376951508_1700541844806023822_n.jpg

Last edited:
I saw Pepe's custom Tiny Tenor with a side port on his FB page (koa). He indicated it was a special order shipping to HMS. So Pepe thinks it okay on that design. It was expensive...

129096905_3398136376951508_1700541844806023822_n.jpg

That is very interesting because there appears to be no extra internal bracing for the port. That tells me I might be able to add a port to my Tiny Tenor myself!

I also don't have uke with a sound port so will sacrifice one of my cheapies to test it out. I do find it interesting that Magic Fluke offer an option of a sound port which they just laser cut into their bodies - not like it's designed specifically for it.

Ok. So, this is what I plan to do to my Tiny Tenor.

I think I can manage to do this with a Dremel tool if I am careful. If I screw up a bit I can always make it an oval port. Now, I just have to get up the nerve to do it.

20210414_201914.jpg20210414_201905.jpg20210414_201853.jpg

Could be cool. Going to be difficult and keep the finish intact.

Did you hold the uke to make sure that the port will be unobstructed?

I also don't have uke with a sound port so will sacrifice one of my cheapies to test it out.

To me that’s a logical way forward. I suppose it’s dependent on personal circumstances, but I wouldn’t want to trash the value of an expensive instrument. If someone needs a sound port for use whilst playing in a noisy group then, politely, I see no point in having a particularly expensive and fine sounding instrument for that setting. If you’re playing at home and want the sound to be directed to the player rather than audience then a more expensive instrument might be worthwhile.

I don’t have a Uke with a side port but some Ukes are made that way. I’d have thought it wisest to listen to and buy something that already has a sound port designed (well hopefully designed and tested too) into its construction.

The OP will do as he chooses and I do wish him well, but for other folk there are alternatives.

Last edited:
If one was willing to sacrifice a cheap uke to try this then a hole saw drill bit should do the job quickly. But how would you prevent the sawdust from falling into the uke?

So here we go - my cheap Kmise Amazon special that's laminate and junky and was sitting in a corner gathering dust
51117571294_5c2d723928_c.jpg

I used a 1.5" forstner bit but this is not recommended (you'll find out why)
51117256092_af6263988a_c.jpg

I taped up the hole location with masking tape and went at it. This was clearly a rush job - if I was to do it again, I would have made a clamping system and used the drill press. The bit wandered a little and didn't cut cleanly - and the laminate isn't very good so there was tear-out on the top layer. Yes, lots of junk into the body of the uke also.
51117733208_44c08d72b9_c.jpg

The final product:
51117256127_092058cf74_c.jpg

I thought about hitting the edges with a roundover bit in the router but then thought that will probably cause more damage than anything. I will hit the unclean bits with a file and sand paper to try and neaten up the hole. Once it's cleaned up, I'll have to find some matte varnish to finish it (currently all I have is gloss). If attempting this again, I would likely score the top layer with a knife before drilling to provide a cleaner hole finish. I would also drill a smaller hole and open it up with files or a dremel. The forstner was a bit too violent.

Now in terms of sound, there is barely any difference. This highs are a little clearer and more pronounced with the side port open but I don't notice any great increase (or decrease) in volume.

Top Bottom