Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Desert Ironwood Fretboard

Quote Originally Posted by resoman View Post
    This thread got me thinking about some ironwood I have here. I probably haven't seen it in 30 years or more. somebody gave it to me I used it on the first instrument I ever build which was an F5. I didn't know any better and I still have the mandolin. I made the neck out of it and I still have the mando. I also remember cutting the stuff

Attachment 133593
    Must have been a heavy neck, but probably lots of sustain? I grew up in the midwest calling "Ostrya virginiana" ironwood. Not nearly as pretty as the desert variety, although it is considered an ornamental tree, apparently.
    https://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plan...tions/ironwood
    Also called hophornbeam: https://www.wood-database.com/hophornbeam/
    Last edited by Matt Clara; 04-19-2021 at 10:47 AM.

For a mandolin it does have petty good sustain. I quit playing it when I lost the end of my index finger, fretting hand.
    My Real name is Terry Harris

Quote Originally Posted by jupiteruke View Post
    Australian Pine (in Florida) or "ironwood" in Hawaii is Casuarina, of which there are three species in Florida. I think that the two most common Florida species are in Hawaii. Considered an invasive species in Florida. Casuarina equisetifolia grows as single trees, C. glauca makes dense casuarina-only stands because it grows from root sprouts. Glauca is the really invasive casuarina in Florida. Both a very hard wood, with few pores. Makes great fingerboards and back & sides, much like ebony. Not commercially available because it has a reputation for twisting and checking when drying, but I have found that quarter-sawn billets behave rather well. Bring your carbide-tipped bandsaw however.

All three of these have casuarina fingerboards and the middle one has casuarina back & sides,
    Wow! Beautiful. Can't really imagine using that for the soundboard, though. How does that one sound?

Also, thanks for clarifying the different ironwoods here in Florida and in Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsme View Post
    Wow! Beautiful. Can't really imagine using that for the soundboard, though. How does that one sound?

Also, thanks for clarifying the different ironwoods here in Florida and in Hawaii.
    I only use casuarina for back and sides. Way too heavy and stiff for a top. I make softwood tops. The top (on this one) is redwood.

Thread Information