Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NUD: A Naupaka hat trick

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Very cool. It's great that your wife plays as well.
    Yeah, she’s much better than me, but I get to blame her for my UAS.
    I primarily play a KoAloha KTM-25 (low G) and an aNueNue Lion (high g), but UAS means there are about two dozen other ukes in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrails View Post
    Wow! Sweet! I bet it’s hard to stop buying ukes with the amount of UAS at home when your spouse plays too. Each would be encouraging the other! Lol. Nice trilogy there!
    Absolutely no control. She had two nice ukes, then I started playing and now we’re up to...well, let’s call it a lot more.
    I primarily play a KoAloha KTM-25 (low G) and an aNueNue Lion (high g), but UAS means there are about two dozen other ukes in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas99 View Post
    Like other KoAloha the sound is big with good sustain, but it sounds more balanced compared to my KTM-25.

After a while of having both, do you you still feel this way? I've got the Naupaka concert and I love it, but wondering if I'm missing something and should scoop up one of the few remaining 25th anniversary ukes before they're all gone.

Quote Originally Posted by necessaryrooster View Post
    After a while of having both, do you you still feel this way? I've got the Naupaka concert and I love it, but wondering if I'm missing something and should scoop up one of the few remaining 25th anniversary ukes before they're all gone.
    I haven’t played my wife’s Naupaka tenor much since my initial impressions. Out of the three Naupakas I mostly play my concert, but it is high g so trying to compare it to my KTM-25 with a low G is really apple to oranges. Let me see if I can put up some sound samples comparing the two tenors either today or tomorrow.

I'm not sure I did a great job of capturing the differences, but after playing both back to back I stand by my original statement that the Naupaka sounds slightly better.

Here is a link to some sound samples of the two tenors. https://soundcloud.com/user-382147524-59788259/tracks

Please excuse the inconsistencies in my playing and the volume. On the latter, I forgot that I had recently deleted Audacity and had to use the Win10 recorder that didn't seem to allow for easy control of the mic volume.

To avoid bias, I labeled the samples Tenor 1 and Tenor 2. I tried to put which tenor is which in white font at the bottom of this post but it got marked as spam. I'll update the post with the answer key tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas99 View Post
    I'm not sure I did a great job of capturing the differences, but after playing both back to back I stand by my original statement that the Naupaka sounds slightly better.

Here is a link to some sound samples of the two tenors. https://soundcloud.com/user-382147524-59788259/tracks

Please excuse the inconsistencies in my playing and the volume. On the latter, I forgot that I had recently deleted Audacity and had to use the Win10 recorder that didn't seem to allow for easy control of the mic volume.

To avoid bias, I labeled the samples Tenor 1 and Tenor 2. I tried to put which tenor is which in white font at the bottom of this post but it got marked as spam. I'll update the post with the answer key tomorrow.
    Thanks for taking the time to do this! In my opinion Tenor 2 sounds a bit fuller while Tenor 1 sounds a little more bright, although the differences are slight to my mostly untrained ear. Curious to see what other, better players think! I think I prefer Tenor 2.

Thanks for taking the time to do this! In my opinion Tenor 2 sounds a bit fuller while Tenor 1 sounds a little more bright, although the differences are slight to my mostly untrained ear. Curious to see what other, better players think! I think I prefer Tenor 2.
    Your mostly untrained ear may have saved you money, Tenor 2 was the Naupaka.
    Last edited by Veritas99; 07-27-2021 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Cutoff

Thread Information