I Saw the Light (Todd Rundgren)

John,

Another fun version of a Todd Rundgren hit! Good use of the background vocals, too. :music:

Bill

John,

Another fun version of a Todd Rundgren hit! Good use of the background vocals, too. :music:

Bill

Thanks, Bill! It was a fun challenge working on this! :)

One of my favorites! Great job capturing the feel of that song.

Some interesting trivia- Todd wrote that trying to do a song that was in the style of Carole King. On that tune and the first 3 sides of the Something/Anything? album Todd plays every instrument. He did not use any additional players until the last side, which included Hello It's Me.

I just recently worked up this song! Well done, excellent job with the solo in the middle. I had read too that TR was going for a Carole King thing when he did this song and I think he nailed it. Did she ever cover it?

I just recently worked up this song! Well done, excellent job with the solo in the middle. I had read too that TR was going for a Carole King thing when he did this song and I think he nailed it. Did she ever cover it?

That would be fun to hear, although she certainly has a massive enough catalogue of her own. Sometime back I was listening to Taperstry after not hearing it for a number of years and was really amazed at the level of writing and performance on that album. There is a reason it is such a legendary album that spent ages on the charts.

Last edited:
Thank you John! My favorite rendition of this song is when Live at Daryl's House went to record it at Todd's home in Hawaii.

One of my favorites! Great job capturing the feel of that song.

Some interesting trivia- Todd wrote that trying to do a song that was in the style of Carole King. On that tune and the first 3 sides of the Something/Anything? album Todd plays every instrument. He did not use any additional players until the last side, which included Hello It's Me.

Thanks, EDW. Definitely a multi-talented musician, and what a great songwriter! I read he was a producer, too, including groups like Badfinger.

Thanks, mikelz777! Have you posted your cover? I'd like to see it! I haven't seen or heard of any Carole King cover of this song, but it would be great to hear!

Thank you John! My favorite rendition of this song is when Live at Daryl's House went to record it at Todd's home in Hawaii.

Thanks, Joe! While doing "research" in preparation for doing this song, I watched this video quite a few times! At first, I thought "Wow, Darryl's house is in a beautiful location," then later I realized this was recorded at Todd Rundgren's place! I wonder if that stage was built especially for their performance??

Last edited:
Thanks, mikelz777! Have you posted your cover? I'd like to see it! I haven't seen or heard of any Carole King cover of this song, but it would be great to hear!

If I were to make a video I'm afraid it would pale in comparison to yours. It would be a no-production version with just me and my uke with no solo in the middle. If you have a tab for that solo I'd love to see it! It sounded great and it really made the song.

Last edited:
If I were to make a video I'm afraid it would pale in comparison to yours. It would be a no-production version with just me and my uke with no solo in the middle. If you have a tab for that solo I'd love to see it! It sounded great and it really made the song.

i saw the light solo tabbed.jpg

I don't have a real nice tabbed version. I usually just make a rough tablature so that I can practice. I'm including a photo of it. The top two lines are the melody and the bottom two lines comprise the harmony line, which I recorded separately. I left out the fancy part of the solo because frankly it's beyond my ability level, but I think this simplified version sounds fine. The solo part was challenging, but I really wanted to include it in my cover.

View attachment 133526

I don't have a real nice tabbed version. I usually just make a rough tablature so that I can practice. I'm including a photo of it. The top two lines are the melody and the bottom two lines comprise the harmony line, which I recorded separately. I left out the fancy part of the solo because frankly it's beyond my ability level, but I think this simplified version sounds fine. The solo part was challenging, but I really wanted to include it in my cover.

Thanks for the tab!

I “just” saw him in Albuquerque. November 2018
He was fabulous, funny, very witty and did mostly covers but left room for those golden oldies.

I “just” saw him in Albuquerque. November 2018
He was fabulous, funny, very witty and did mostly covers but left room for those golden oldies.

Thanks, Sharpshin. I hope he makes it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! :)

This was filmed at Todd's house on Kaui.
Long time fan of Todd's going back to the early 70's. I've seen him several times and he's one of my favorite musicians.

Top Bottom