Learning about electro-acoustic ukuleles

AnonymousLou

Reaction score
Hi, guys,
I currently play an acoustic aklot concert ukulele but as I go to open mic nights a lot, would like a ukulele I can plug into the sound system and would like one I can record into DAW's directly with MIDI rather than having to sit the ukulele next to the mic. Thing is, I don't know much about the tech of this, which wires I need for these things and which products would be the best for this so would like some advice on the best products to buy for this.
Thanks,
Lou xx

Meh, my experience on the subject is different to others, yet. I'm an experienced player at open mic nights and other such events and I always use an acoustic instrument with an external microphone by choice because the quality of the sound is MUCH better.
Cheap pickup systems in acoustic instruments (piezo pickups) sound dreadful as far as I'm concerned and if you spend a LOT of money on a high quality pickup system you will end up with something better than the dreadful cheap systems but still not as good as a microphone in front of the instrument.

So how much money are you prepared to spend in order to sound worse?

Yeah yeah. Lots of players, even good ones use pickup systems for convenience sake, but I don't like the sound of them.
I listen to some really great players at concerts and wonder to myself, how great would this player be with just a ukulele/guitar and a microphone?

I am no expert with electric or acoustic/electric. But I have tenors that I plug in and play for open mic nights.

Two are electric: Risa Solid Stick and a Godin Multiuke

Some are acoustic with added pickups: Martin 1T IZ with Baggs 5.0 Active Pickup; MyaMoe w/ K&K Twin Spot active; Cocobolo w/ Misi Rechargeable; Pono w/ Pono Passive Under-Saddle Piezo. There are other pickup systems that use microphones or microphone/Piezo combinations of pickups. And, of course there are also less expensive options.

All of these are $100 USD plus to buy and additional to have them installed in a uke.

All use a 1/4" Plug to connect to an amp or a PA. My amp and foot switch include a USB jack that are used to connect to a computer.

I don't know what kind of output is required to connect MIDI.

Most built-in pickup/electronics in inexpensive ukuleles are not the best quality. Some are junk. Some produce decent sound.

Gotaukulele.com has some very good, basic information about pickups and switch boxes and effects. HMS Ukuleles.com has two very good YouTube videos about the pickups they sell.

Many Bluegrass groups stand around a single microphone used for both instruments and voice.

I completely understand using a pickup instead of a mic. I've had preamp and under saddle piezo pickups added to a few of my ukes, the same ones that come with many ukes already installed. I don't find the sound bad, but maybe I'm not as discriminating as Anthony. In reality, I haven't had to amplify my uke in a long time, and like Kenn, I have a Godin Multiuke, which has a very good quality preamp/pickup system, so if I do need to amplify, I'll use this one.

Godin Multiuke sunburst mine 843.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
You might want to consider this
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigacousticstage/

I don't have this model. I have the earlier "non-stage" version which I've made to work for my home studio and would not recommend for live use, but the Stage is made for that and has a USB interface for connecting to a DAW.

It won't be the best for every situation certainly, but it gives you a lot of options and might help you figure out what you need next to go "further".

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, I think you're confusing things with the "MIDI" term here. MIDI would be for playing synths, and there are "guitar to MIDI" systems out there, but that's a completely different animal.

I would agree with Jim's suggestion for the iRig Acoustic Stage.
I have used it live and find it much better than most under saddle piezos.
Maybe not as good as a mic, but more freedom of movement.
Also easily swapped between instruments.

Vintage

You might want to consider this
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigacousticstage/

I don't have this model. I have the earlier "non-stage" version which I've made to work for my home studio and would not recommend for live use, but the Stage is made for that and has a USB interface for connecting to a DAW.

It won't be the best for every situation certainly, but it gives you a lot of options and might help you figure out what you need next to go "further".

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, I think you're confusing things with the "MIDI" term here. MIDI would be for playing synths, and there are "guitar to MIDI" systems out there, but that's a completely different animal.

Do you get any feedback from a vocal mike when you use this?

I'll have to check this out. I have several friends that want to be able to plug in but don't want to add pickups to their guitars or ukes. Might be a great solution of them.

I've never had vocal mic feedback related to using the iRig.
I have occasionally had feedback, but that was due to poor mic / speaker placement.

Vintage

Meh, my experience on the subject is different to others, yet. I'm an experienced player at open mic nights and other such events and I always use an acoustic instrument with an external microphone by choice because the quality of the sound is MUCH better.
Cheap pickup systems in acoustic instruments (piezo pickups) sound dreadful as far as I'm concerned and if you spend a LOT of money on a high quality pickup system you will end up with something better than the dreadful cheap systems but still not as good as a microphone in front of the instrument.

So how much money are you prepared to spend in order to sound worse?

Yeah yeah. Lots of players, even good ones use pickup systems for convenience sake, but I don't like the sound of them.
I listen to some really great players at concerts and wonder to myself, how great would this player be with just a ukulele/guitar and a microphone?

I must agree that you will never get a pickup that sounds as acoustic as a mic. I always resisted pickups and had sound techs saying, "Why don't you have a pickup on your guitar?" While I played in a bluegrass or acoustic group or solo, I used a mic (Not a real expensive one; usually an SM57or a Beta 57, both quite affordable and almost indestructible) and was happy with the results.
About the turn of the century, when the folks I played with started plugging in, I finally had pickups installed out of self defense. I don't used them playing solo or with other acoustic players.
I have seen Doc Watson play a number of times and recall the first time I saw him play plugged in. It was at the Renfrew Bluegrass Festival and Doc was the only act that was plugged. His sound was terrible. It was not just me. There was a lot of talk in the audience about how bad it sounded. I heard him after that a few times, still plugged in, but he sounded more like the old acoustic Doc. Either he had gotten a better pickup or the sound techs knew how to work with a pickup.
There are still pros who will not use pickups. John Hammond Jr., David Rawlings, Gillian Welch, Country Joe MacDonald still play unplugged. Tony Rice once said to an interviewer, "Anyone who asks me what kind of pickup I use, has obviously never been to one of my shows."
I never saw an MTV Unplugged show where the act was unplugged.

Sorry. . .I know this doesn't help the original poster. I realise that someone who dances around while they play or plays in a loud band or especially someone who wants to use effects pedals will need a pickup. I have both Baggs and Fishman pickups in my guitars and have no real preference. I have two ukes with pickups that came with the ukes. I'm not sure of the make.

Top Bottom