Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Martin ukuleles...

I would like to find the documentation I used initially to determine the age, that stated they used t-frets in 1935.

I realize a lot of people consider that book the bible of Martin ukuleles, but there are also indiscrepancies in the bible.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe

This thread peaked my curiosity and I had to learn more about bar frets. It seems to be well documented that bar frets were phased out for Martin guitars in 1934. Luthier discussions suggest that bar frets are a lot more difficult to install than T frets, so it is unlikely that a switch back to this can be implemented easily in a mass production environment. Also, bar frets seem to stabilize the neck and when they switched the steel string guitars over to T frets this went along with inserting steel truss rods into the necks. But this is not necessary for ukes, so if most sources point to 1947 as the year for ukes then I would not doubt that. This does not exclude the possibility that they were experimenting and creating prototypes and small pre-production batches.

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    Gladly...and, as Buzz said, mine looks like it's from the 30's...
    Attachment 133542 Attachment 133543
    Well , the hex nut and black knobs make the tuners look like Waverly's no.2014 , they started in 1948 on styles 1,2,3 ( according to the book )
    A pic of the tuner from the side might help.
    They may be replacement tuners too , making it harder to date.
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

I don't want to sound like a jerk but , . . . take a good look at your frets , The early Martin T frets are very small and can be mistaken for bar frets.
    Last edited by Pukulele Pete; 04-16-2021 at 05:27 AM.
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

Very occasionally I use the ‘way back machine’, what a fantastic device it is. I’m curious as to whether the OP might be able to access his missing data (link) via that route ... it’s just a thought and I claim no expertise in the WBM’s use.

Dating them can be a puzzle. Even if you assume that tuners are original, there are a variety of factors to consider- frets, stamps, decal, headstock shape, fretboard shape, etc. There are a number of subtle differences to consider

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    Very occasionally I use the ‘way back machine’, what a fantastic device it is. I’m curious as to whether the OP might be able to access his missing data (link) via that route ... it’s just a thought and I claim no expertise in the WBM’s use.
    Not familiar with the WBM, this is the link I had...

www.geocities.com!?!?!?martin.html

I removed part of that link, because googling it, got me into some kind of virus where mcafee popups keep coming up and running windows defender doesn't clear it out. If you ignore they go away, don't click on strange popups.
    Last edited by UkerDanno; 04-16-2021 at 12:43 PM.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    Not familiar with the WBM, this is the link I had...

www.geocities.com/~ukulele/martin.html
    I’m not sure that this will work for you but try:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20090829...le/martin.html

If you google wayback machine then you’ll find a few alternatives.

I hope that that helps and frets are mentioned towards the end of the article:

“There are several ways to date your Martin ukulele. Martin put a stamp on the back of the peghead until 1933 and peghead decals first appeared in 1932, so occasionally you will find a ukulele with both the stamp and decal. Bar frets were generally used until 1934, afterwhich they used T-frets. There is a stamp on the inside of the body that, before 1962, reads "C.F. Martin & Co., Nazareth, PA". In 1962, Martin added "Made in USA" to this stamp. Other ways to date them are the inlays on the fingerboard, with early fancy models having diamond shaped inlays and the newer models having small round dots.”
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 04-16-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    I’m not sure that this will work for you but try:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20090829...le/martin.html

If you google wayback machine then you’ll find a few alternatives.

I hope that that helps and frets are mentioned towards the end of the article:

“There are several ways to date your Martin ukulele. Martin put a stamp on the back of the peghead until 1933 and peghead decals first appeared in 1932, so occasionally you will find a ukulele with both the stamp and decal. Bar frets were generally used until 1934, afterwhich they used T-frets. There is a stamp on the inside of the body that, before 1962, reads "C.F. Martin & Co., Nazareth, PA". In 1962, Martin added "Made in USA" to this stamp. Other ways to date them are the inlays on the fingerboard, with early fancy models having diamond shaped inlays and the newer models having small round dots.”
    Graham, that's it, way to go! Thanks...
    Just Play

Pics of my frets and tuners, which have been replaced with Gotoh UPTs...

tunerss.jpg frets.jpg
    Just Play

Thread Information