The Sceptre is back!

Contrails

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just saw a video from SUS. Looks like the sceptre is back! The bridge is absolutely gorgeous. I love the layered headstock too. They sound really bright!

https://youtu.be/izWFi0L4kdQ

Unfortunately I don’t think I can afford them! So I will just look from afar.

Absolutely lovely! Thanks for sharing this. I love to see Pop's work.

I own a Pop's Pineapple Sunday (as well as a concert Thai Pi) and while I would love to add a Sceptre to the collection, I don't think the budget can take that sort of hit right now...

I think the concept of it being acceptable to have nicks/dings from manufacture and other quirks (like inaccurate string spacing) is an interesting one when it comes to individually handcrafted instruments.

For a factory instrument, such imperfections would be frowned upon as poor quality control and craftsmanship.
But in this context (historically significant individual maker), it almost seems celebrated and evidence that you are getting a unique, handmade instrument.

Judging by the Youtube comments, it seems some view it as a positive but some view it as a negative (For that money I'd expect better quality standards, consistency, etc).

From my viewpoint, I think I'd be extremely lucky to have a Sceptre handbuilt by the founder of Koaloha himself.

Just an update-- Pops is now making the Sceptre in the standard size, also. Previously, he only made concert and tenor sizes. I now work with Pops taking the orders and handling the website at ukesahawaii.com. If there is an imperfection that is significant, Pops will always discount the ukulele and sell as a factory second. Occasionally there will be a small imperfection or ding that gets by unnoticed as Pops is the only person making these ukes for UkeSA Hawaii. He does not do the spraying but leaves that to KoAloha staff, but all other parts of the build are strictly Pops. I say this because there are not a lot of eyes for the uke to pass through to pick up a small ding, also, having gotten to know Pops very well, he is most concerned about the sound and tonal qualities of his ukulele. A small ding may get by but he will never allow a tonal imperfection to go out to a purchaser. I saw posted on here a sale in the marketplace for one of our "AO" models. The purchaser commented that they purchased it from us at a significant discount due to a small discoloration in the grain-- it was not a defect but natural, and the purchaser expressed surprise that we even discounted it. In all cases, Pops tries to make these ukes perfect, but when it is only one person making the uke and you figure in the time it takes to make it, it is better to offer it with the small imperfection than to start over again every time something isn't perfect. I have been pleased to see the very positive posts from all of our customers. Something else to consider is that except for the ukes sent to SUS, when you get an uke from UkeSA Hawaii, these are not ukes that have been previously made and are sitting on a shelf. Each one is carefully handcrafted by Pops specifically for you and most of our orders come with some degree of customization, often at no extra cost. Having been doing this with Pops for over a year now, I can say that just about everyone who ordered an ukulele from us takes possession of an ukulele that is one of a kind and sure to be a collector's piece in the future. I have not seen two ukes the same since I started here with Pops. It has been a tremendously fun experience working with the buyer and Pops in creating each ukulele. I get excited for each build almost as if the uke being made was my own. Pictured here are some recent builds from Pops.
186534350_4461624713847539_7645680121891286751_n.jpgIMG_0118.jpgIMG_0117.jpgIMG_1419.jpgIMG_1426.jpg

Last edited:
Hi efiscella do you think Pops Has plans to make the scepter in an opio version just like the Thai Pi? Unfortunately not a lot of people can afford one of his hand made ones. And some who do don’t play as well to justify spending so much on 1 uke.

Hi efiscella do you think Pops Has plans to make the scepter in an opio version just like the Thai Pi? Unfortunately not a lot of people can afford one of his hand made ones. And some who do don’t play as well to justify spending so much on 1 uke.

you never know what Pops will do as he is always trying to bring his ukes to people at decent prices but I would not hold my breath for the Sceptre to be made in Thailand at the lower price anytime soon. We are getting some more Thailand Pineapple Sundays in as there are no more available and new ones need to be made, but for Pops to train the Thailand crew to make the sceptre seems like a longshot, mostly due to time. Pops has been incredibly busy making Pineapple Sundays and Sceptres and the orders keep coming in. We don't even have a sceptre yet on our website because they go out as soon as they are built, even before we can photograph them adequately. I know that one of the projects on Pop's bucket list is to put out a PIneapple Sunday Kit. These kits are unbelievable deals because all of the materials are of the same quality. the difference is that 1) it is not assembled by Pops and 2) they are unfinished and you need to finish them yourself- hence the savings. I can suggest to Pops that since he is ordering more Thailand Pineapple Sundays (Thai Pi), that he consider using the sceptre design for his upcoming kits.

you never know what Pops will do as he is always trying to bring his ukes to people at decent prices but I would not hold my breath for the Sceptre to be made in Thailand at the lower price anytime soon. We are getting some more Thailand Pineapple Sundays in as there are no more available and new ones need to be made, but for Pops to train the Thailand crew to make the sceptre seems like a longshot, mostly due to time. Pops has been incredibly busy making Pineapple Sundays and Sceptres and the orders keep coming in. We don't even have a sceptre yet on our website because they go out as soon as they are built, even before we can photograph them adequately. I know that one of the projects on Pop's bucket list is to put out a PIneapple Sunday Kit. These kits are unbelievable deals because all of the materials are of the same quality. the difference is that 1) it is not assembled by Pops and 2) they are unfinished and you need to finish them yourself- hence the savings. I can suggest to Pops that since he is ordering more Thailand Pineapple Sundays (Thai Pi), that he consider using the sceptre design for his upcoming kits.

Thanks for the info. I Guess I will wait patiently for that day to happen. A kit pineapple Sunday sounds interesting. I might get another in a different scale length.

I somehow missed this thread Ed. Great to see all the cool stuff Pop's is working on!

Thank you for the pictures of the Pineapple and of Pop Efiscella. Big fan of them both. :cool:

Top Bottom