Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: The Sceptre is back!

  1. #1

    Default The Sceptre is back!

    Hi everyone,

    I just saw a video from SUS. Looks like the sceptre is back! The bridge is absolutely gorgeous. I love the layered headstock too. They sound really bright!

    https://youtu.be/izWFi0L4kdQ

    Unfortunately I don’t think I can afford them! So I will just look from afar.
    Pono Acacia Tenor
    Pono Mahogany Concert
    Pono Mahogany Soprano
    Anuenue Concert Banjolele
    Kolaoha Opio Concert Longneck
    UkeSA Pineapple Sunday Concert
    Cocobolo Concert
    Romero Creations Baritone B6

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Absolutely lovely! Thanks for sharing this. I love to see Pop's work.

    I own a Pop's Pineapple Sunday (as well as a concert Thai Pi) and while I would love to add a Sceptre to the collection, I don't think the budget can take that sort of hit right now...
    Mainly a concert player.

    Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano | Rebel Double Cream mango concert
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2 (special) | Kanile'a K-1 C | Bruko #6
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

  3. #3

    Default

    I think the concept of it being acceptable to have nicks/dings from manufacture and other quirks (like inaccurate string spacing) is an interesting one when it comes to individually handcrafted instruments.

    For a factory instrument, such imperfections would be frowned upon as poor quality control and craftsmanship.
    But in this context (historically significant individual maker), it almost seems celebrated and evidence that you are getting a unique, handmade instrument.

    Judging by the Youtube comments, it seems some view it as a positive but some view it as a negative (For that money I'd expect better quality standards, consistency, etc).

    From my viewpoint, I think I'd be extremely lucky to have a Sceptre handbuilt by the founder of Koaloha himself.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sewell, NJ (suburb of Philadelphia, Pa)
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Just an update-- Pops is now making the Sceptre in the standard size, also. Previously, he only made concert and tenor sizes. I now work with Pops taking the orders and handling the website at ukesahawaii.com. If there is an imperfection that is significant, Pops will always discount the ukulele and sell as a factory second. Occasionally there will be a small imperfection or ding that gets by unnoticed as Pops is the only person making these ukes for UkeSA Hawaii. He does not do the spraying but leaves that to KoAloha staff, but all other parts of the build are strictly Pops. I say this because there are not a lot of eyes for the uke to pass through to pick up a small ding, also, having gotten to know Pops very well, he is most concerned about the sound and tonal qualities of his ukulele. A small ding may get by but he will never allow a tonal imperfection to go out to a purchaser. I saw posted on here a sale in the marketplace for one of our "AO" models. The purchaser commented that they purchased it from us at a significant discount due to a small discoloration in the grain-- it was not a defect but natural, and the purchaser expressed surprise that we even discounted it. In all cases, Pops tries to make these ukes perfect, but when it is only one person making the uke and you figure in the time it takes to make it, it is better to offer it with the small imperfection than to start over again every time something isn't perfect. I have been pleased to see the very positive posts from all of our customers. Something else to consider is that except for the ukes sent to SUS, when you get an uke from UkeSA Hawaii, these are not ukes that have been previously made and are sitting on a shelf. Each one is carefully handcrafted by Pops specifically for you and most of our orders come with some degree of customization, often at no extra cost. Having been doing this with Pops for over a year now, I can say that just about everyone who ordered an ukulele from us takes possession of an ukulele that is one of a kind and sure to be a collector's piece in the future. I have not seen two ukes the same since I started here with Pops. It has been a tremendously fun experience working with the buyer and Pops in creating each ukulele. I get excited for each build almost as if the uke being made was my own. Pictured here are some recent builds from Pops.
    186534350_4461624713847539_7645680121891286751_n.jpgIMG_0118.jpgIMG_0117.jpgIMG_1419.jpgIMG_1426.jpg
    Last edited by efiscella; 06-03-2021 at 03:33 AM. Reason: add photos

  5. #5

    Default

    Hi efiscella do you think Pops Has plans to make the scepter in an opio version just like the Thai Pi? Unfortunately not a lot of people can afford one of his hand made ones. And some who do don’t play as well to justify spending so much on 1 uke.
    Pono Acacia Tenor
    Pono Mahogany Concert
    Pono Mahogany Soprano
    Anuenue Concert Banjolele
    Kolaoha Opio Concert Longneck
    UkeSA Pineapple Sunday Concert
    Cocobolo Concert
    Romero Creations Baritone B6

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sewell, NJ (suburb of Philadelphia, Pa)
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Contrails View Post
    Hi efiscella do you think Pops Has plans to make the scepter in an opio version just like the Thai Pi? Unfortunately not a lot of people can afford one of his hand made ones. And some who do don’t play as well to justify spending so much on 1 uke.
    you never know what Pops will do as he is always trying to bring his ukes to people at decent prices but I would not hold my breath for the Sceptre to be made in Thailand at the lower price anytime soon. We are getting some more Thailand Pineapple Sundays in as there are no more available and new ones need to be made, but for Pops to train the Thailand crew to make the sceptre seems like a longshot, mostly due to time. Pops has been incredibly busy making Pineapple Sundays and Sceptres and the orders keep coming in. We don't even have a sceptre yet on our website because they go out as soon as they are built, even before we can photograph them adequately. I know that one of the projects on Pop's bucket list is to put out a PIneapple Sunday Kit. These kits are unbelievable deals because all of the materials are of the same quality. the difference is that 1) it is not assembled by Pops and 2) they are unfinished and you need to finish them yourself- hence the savings. I can suggest to Pops that since he is ordering more Thailand Pineapple Sundays (Thai Pi), that he consider using the sceptre design for his upcoming kits.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sewell, NJ (suburb of Philadelphia, Pa)
    Posts
    683

    Default

    [QUOTE=Contrails;2280492]Hi efiscella do you think Pops Has plans to make the scepter in an opio version just like the Thai Pi? Unfortunately not a lot of people can afford one of his hand made ones. And some who do don

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by efiscella View Post
    you never know what Pops will do as he is always trying to bring his ukes to people at decent prices but I would not hold my breath for the Sceptre to be made in Thailand at the lower price anytime soon. We are getting some more Thailand Pineapple Sundays in as there are no more available and new ones need to be made, but for Pops to train the Thailand crew to make the sceptre seems like a longshot, mostly due to time. Pops has been incredibly busy making Pineapple Sundays and Sceptres and the orders keep coming in. We don't even have a sceptre yet on our website because they go out as soon as they are built, even before we can photograph them adequately. I know that one of the projects on Pop's bucket list is to put out a PIneapple Sunday Kit. These kits are unbelievable deals because all of the materials are of the same quality. the difference is that 1) it is not assembled by Pops and 2) they are unfinished and you need to finish them yourself- hence the savings. I can suggest to Pops that since he is ordering more Thailand Pineapple Sundays (Thai Pi), that he consider using the sceptre design for his upcoming kits.
    Thanks for the info. I Guess I will wait patiently for that day to happen. A kit pineapple Sunday sounds interesting. I might get another in a different scale length.
    Pono Acacia Tenor
    Pono Mahogany Concert
    Pono Mahogany Soprano
    Anuenue Concert Banjolele
    Kolaoha Opio Concert Longneck
    UkeSA Pineapple Sunday Concert
    Cocobolo Concert
    Romero Creations Baritone B6

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sewell, NJ (suburb of Philadelphia, Pa)
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Contrails View Post
    Thanks for the info. I Guess I will wait patiently for that day to happen. A kit pineapple Sunday sounds interesting. I might get another in a different scale length.
    I suggested the kit to POPS and he like the idea very much.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Somewhere just outside of Philly
    Posts
    567

    Default

    I somehow missed this thread Ed. Great to see all the cool stuff Pop's is working on!
    Pohaku "Yellow Label" Mahogany Soprano
    Weymann Model 10 Mahogany Soprano (c. 1918)
    Uke.S.A. Hawaii (by "Pops KoAloha") Bearclaw AO Soprano

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •