Thread: Seems like Flight are getting in on the high-end market

Default Seems like Flight are getting in on the high-end market

A couple of weeks ago I noticed these quite nice looking tenors listed on Flight's website

https://flightmusic.com/ukuleles/?orderby=price-desc

Then I saw Bazmaz hint at a review of a couple of these, and finally today I noticed that SUS had listed one of these for sale:
    https://www.southernukulelestore.co....rsary-model-1/

I've had a couple of different Flight ukes in the past and have played several others, and I think they usually punch above their price point. It's nice to see them going for the really high-end stuff for the first time. According to the SUS listing, they partnered with some Chinese luthier to make these. Sounds to me like a similar venture to aNueNue, and if these are anything close to that quality they should fly (pun intended) off the shelves.

Luckily, these are all tenors which I don't play so I don't have any temptation to get one myself.

I'm curious to know how you would define 'really high-end'?
    Kamaka HF-3DC - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Kanile'a SUS B DLX - Kanile'a K-1B - Pono MGTP5-PC

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    Maybe it's all relative to the OP....if he's used to playing "entry level" ukuleles, then a $Grand could be a lot to pay for one. What is high end to me, might be mid priced to you....someone had posted the price ranges that were considered low, mid, high end once, of course, I forgot them, I don't shop by price, but I do back off if I see a tag of over 1500.00
    Also, he may not have delved very far into the site, they sell soprano and concert scale too.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I’ve got a Flight Phantom. A wonderful instrument and is the the one I pick up first for my daily practice. I just wish they would settle on one or two standard headstock designs. They just seem to be unsure of themselves when it comes to this one aspect of the ukulele. Then again, maybe that’s part of their brand identity - the ever changing headstock design!

Mim sells Flight and so does UkeRepublic. I think Mim took on Flight to replace Kala, which she dropped. Looks like "really high end" Flights are $400-$500...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Maybe it's all relative to the OP....if he's used to playing "entry level" ukuleles, then a $Grand could be a lot to pay for one. What is high end to me, might be mid priced to you....someone had posted the price ranges that were considered low, mid, high end once, of course, I forgot them, I don't shop by price, but I do back off if I see a tag of over 1500.00
    Also, he may not have delved very far into the site, they sell soprano and concert scale too.
    I don't really know why I wrote it quite like that. I basically meant that it's nice to see a properly high-end uke from Flight that's over a grand instead of those really nice mid-tier ukes around $500-600 like the Fireball. I wouldn't dwell on my definition, it was just an off the cuff comment.

That being said, these ukes are apparently been made by a single luthier instead of in a factory like some high-end models around that $1000 price point, however good those factories actually are. Everything I've seen and heard indicates that the build quality is right up there and justifies the price. Not sure about sound quality yet so interested in seeing Bazmaz's review on one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    It would be much more impressive if Slovenian based Flight found a local "master luthier" to construct the ten year model and could proudly stamp: "Made in Slovenia" or "Isdelano v Sloveniji (translation?)" on the instrument and sold it for $1000+. It might even keep a re-sale value if they did that.
    To be honest, when I heard they were doing luthier built stuff I assumed they were contributing with a local luthier to them. I would've liked to see that as well. Then again, Slovenia is a really small country so I don't know what the uke scene over there is, let alone if they even have local builders that do ukuleles.

From the website: "solid wood ukuleles individually crafted by a master luthier" for their 10th anniversary.

There are four tenor models to select from. It is likely they are testing the waters to see if they should enter this $1k market. They appear to already have a good reputation for price/value in the low and middle range ukes.

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

Hum .... I don't have any experience with the brand. Never held one. I went to the link above and looked at them. I am shocked at how many models they have. The fact they have so many to choose from worries me. How could they pay enough attention to any one model to make sure it's really good?
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
    Hum .... I don't have any experience with the brand. Never held one. I went to the link above and looked at them. I am shocked at how many models they have. The fact they have so many to choose from worries me. How could they pay enough attention to any one model to make sure it's really good?
    Most of those different models are just colour variants of a single design. If you take that into account I don't think they have that many different models compared to Kala or Ohana. Obviously the cheaper ones are made in a Chinese factory so attention to detail is never going to be that high but every model I've tried is at least comparable to any Kala or Ohana I've seen. The slightly more expensive ones - starting maybe at around $250 - already start to punch above their price in my opinion.

Thread Information