NUD Anuenue UC10 Color Series Concert

Cluze

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
As I posted about in a recent thread, I have been following Anuenue USA since they launched. While I own (and adore) an Anuenue Moonbird concert, I had toyed with buying a UC10 color series concert. I really liked the aesthetics and wanted to check out their lower end line. Sadly, by the time I had decided to do so, Anuenue USA was all out of stock. So I put a pin in that and waited.

Well, they finally got them back in stock, so I ordered a UC10 concert in Quiet Shade (the grey color.) It arrived via USPS later that week (just yesterday as I write this.)

Let's get a couple of things out of the way right up front. This is a sub $200 instrument. It was on sale for ~$160 at the time I purchased it. Anuenue USA charged for shipping, but I would expect nothing less for an order this cheap coming all the way from Hawaii. I believe it was about $38 to get it USPS priority mail. Given the size of the box, and having used USPS priority mail to ship some ukes within the US, this is just fine, honestly. Shipping has value, and shipping isn't cheap, so I was happy to pay for it. Even being an inexpensive instrument (one of Anuenue's cheapest), it still came with a mess of goodies: a nice gig bag (more on that in a bit), a pair of stickers, a cleaning cloth, a tuning peg winder, a capo, a couple of picks, a clip-on chromatic tuner, a thing that I think is a fridge magnet, a sound hole strap, and a Herco humidifier. Now I have a lot of ukuleles, and I probably don't need most of this, but given that this sort of instrument is aimed at a more beginner market, they are pretty nice add-ons. I can't promise they include these with every low-end instrument, but they were in my box...

The instrument itself is extremely well made. I'm not sure it is really 100% flawless, but pretty close. The fit and finish are well above what I would expect for so little money.

The aesthetic won't be for everyone (as many of you know if you watched Baz's recent review of the UC10.) It is a laminate mahogany back and sides with a solid spruce top that has been completely painted a sort of pastel color; grey in this case. This gives it a sort of 1950's vibe to my eye. If I had to use one word to describe the look, it is “cute.” The paint (and the rest of the finish) is very solidly “matte.” If you came expecting the shiny, smooth gloss finish that some lines have, you have come to the wrong place. I like it a lot, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

The gig bag is nice, but not amazing. It is pretty well padded, and has a similar 50's sort of vibe. It has an external pocket and backpack straps. It is nicer than some of the low-end gig bags I have seen, but not the stunning Kanile'a sort of gig bag. I am perfectly happy with it for this level of instrument.

Setup direct from Anuenue USA was good, but not Mim-level amazing. It seems a touch high at the 12th, but I haven't had a chance to measure it yet. I might take the saddle down a little bit if I find the time, but it is comfortable enough to play and doesn't seem to have any major intonation problems up the neck, so I may be lazy and just leave it.

The instrument itself is very lightweight and resonant. It practically sings, honestly. It has a bright chime-y tone. I might call it “vibrant”? It has good volume and great sustain. It sounds delightful, and I suspect the tone will develop over time as the solid top opens up a bit.

Simply put, this is the nicest sub-$200 instrument I have. It's fun, it's funky, and I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone looking for a good but inexpensive instrument.

Oh, and since someone is sure to ask, yes, I did compare the sound to the Moonbird. The Moonbird wins, hands down; it has a fuller, more robust sound. At the same time, the UC10 still sounds quite good, just different. I prefer the Moonbird, and think it sounds better, but does it, considering the price, does it sound 8-times better? I can't quite answer that question…

Last edited:
Very nice, I basically agree with everything regarding the looks and value. I really like the subtle colours offered for these models. The sort of baby blue coloured one that Bazmaz reviewed is probably my least favourite but all the other colours look really nice. And the weird scratch plate thing is a nice quirky touch as well. The value seems to be excellent when considering aNueNue's quality control on even their cheaper models. I'm still thinking about getting one of these as a travel uke. I know the sound probably isn't quite to my taste as I usually prefer a slightly deeper sound but I'm still very intrigued. Maybe someday...

I didn't know it came with all those accessories. I wonder if that's just an aNueNue USA thing. Haven't seen them mentioned anywhere else aside from the gigbag obviously.

...I ordered a UC10 concert in Quiet Shade (the grey color.) It arrived via USPS later that week (just yesterday as I write this.)

Ah, nice! Objectively, Quite Shade is probably my favorite-- a good gray that keens blue (if seen in UC-10 array without the actual Blue one present, the Quiet Shade looks blue-gray to me).

Yet, "Blue" was the primary hook for me on these throughout, so I allowed myself to be reeled in thereby: Blue Arona.
Mine should be on the way to me soon.

Let's get a couple of things out of the way right up front. This is a sub $200 instrument. It was on sale for ~$160 at the time I purchased it. Anuenue USA charged for shipping, but I would expect nothing less for an order this cheap coming all the way from Hawaii. I believe it was about $38 to get it USPS priority mail.

Shipping: I've wanted an HMS/ukulelesite coffee tweed case for my AMM2. Its included gig bag is very fine as far as bags go, but requires me to put twice the effort into maintaining humidity levels through the winter (vs my hard cases). The gig bag is also black, which bores me, but it's really the humidifying issue that has pushed me to look further, keeping in mind the AMM2's wider lower bout.
[I would lurve a blue Anuenue hard case, for all reasons, but those ship with the top-line ukuleles only. I have asked, and maybe asked again.]

When it was clear the UC-10s were finally on the way (but on the Anuenue USA site only), I inquired about the possibility of shipping a ukulele purchased from Anuenue USA with a case (and some more UkeLogic strings, la) from HMS/ukulele site.

By the time I ordered, the UC-10s were on the HMS site, making this much simpler. A corollary benefit being, HMS has a more favorable (FedEx) shipping rate.

[Shipping just plain costs, and the challenges for smaller businesses are intense. With Amazon, possibly others, shipping costs are not just footed through membership fees and/or volume; there are investors who specifically fund shipping.... There's no 1:1 way for other entities to compete with, "And our free shipping isn't actually costing us anything!"]

Even being an inexpensive instrument (one of Anuenue's cheapest), it still came with a mess of goodies: a nice gig bag (more on that in a bit)...

Interestingly, my AMM2 (direct from Anuenue USA) also came with these goodies, sans the strap (I would not use a sound hole hook on the AMM2, maybe not even on others, so this was no loss). Did you also receive extra sets of strings?
I'm curious to see if I receive the same goodies with my UC-10 via HMS, or if that's a direct-site bundle only.
(No biggie if not, but I do enjoy the things that come with things I enjoy. :))

The instrument itself is extremely well made. I'm not sure it is really 100% flawless, but pretty close. The fit and finish are well above what I would expect for so little money.

The aesthetic won't be for everyone (as many of you know if you watched Baz's recent review of the UC10.) It is a laminate mahogany back and sides with a solid spruce top that has been completely painted a sort of pastel color; grey in this case. This gives it a sort of 1950's vibe to my eye.

BazMaz's review sealed the deal for me, as t'were-- I love the aesthetic, and the palette, but not more than a functional (and hopefully well-made) ukulele. I'm glad to hear your impressions as well.

The gig bag is nice, but not amazing. It is pretty well padded, and has a similar 50's sort of vibe. It has an external pocket and backpack straps. It is nicer than some of the low-end gig bags I have seen, but not the stunning Kanile'a sort of gig bag. I am perfectly happy with it for this level of instrument.

Did you receive the linen-look gig bag featured up to this point, or the gingham-gutsed blue one shown on HMS? I like the look of the original linen one better (I don't reallly need the pocket, so prefer the more neutral, streamlined original), but hey-- at least the newer one is BLUE. :D

Setup direct from Anuenue USA was good, but not Mim-level amazing. It seems a touch high at the 12th, but I haven't had a chance to measure it yet. I might take the saddle down a little bit if I find the time, but it is comfortable enough to play and doesn't seem to have any major intonation problems up the neck, so I may be lazy and just leave it.

I applied some of my shipping savings* to having the HMS folks set this one up for me; knowing that the instrument is in their hands, I knew I'd regret not giving them the chance to present it to me at its best.
*Yes, I rationalize well....

Simply put, this is the nicest sub-$200 instrument I have. It's fun, it's funky, and I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone looking for a good but inexpensive instrument.

A very good report, indeed. Thanks!

Oh, and since someone is sure to ask, yes, I did compare the sound to the Moonbird. The Moonbird wins, hands down; it has a fuller, more robust sound. At the same time, the UC10 still sounds quite good, just different. I prefer the Moonbird, and think it sounds better, but does it, considering the price, does it sound 8-times better? I can't quite answer that question…

I hope to see a Moonbird in person someday, when "in person" is a thing again. In addition to tone and feel, I'm interested in the visual presentation in person. The "Muffin deflated by a stick" first impression wasn't endearing-- and then I realized the effect is created by binding, and is not actually the shape of the top! :)

Thanks for taking the time to write out all that you have.

:cheers:

~ S.

Last edited:
Looks aren't important I suppose but I prefer to see wood grain

Very nice, I basically agree with everything regarding the looks and value. I really like the subtle colours offered for these models. The sort of baby blue coloured one that Bazmaz reviewed is probably my least favourite but all the other colours look really nice. And the weird scratch plate thing is a nice quirky touch as well. The value seems to be excellent when considering aNueNue's quality control on even their cheaper models. I'm still thinking about getting one of these as a travel uke. I know the sound probably isn't quite to my taste as I usually prefer a slightly deeper sound but I'm still very intrigued. Maybe someday...

I didn't know it came with all those accessories. I wonder if that's just an aNueNue USA thing. Haven't seen them mentioned anywhere else aside from the gigbag obviously.

I didn't know if I would really embrace the sound either, but it really is something nice. I also usually prefer a deeper tone, but while this one is bright, it isn't really "thin", if that makes sense?

Interestingly, my AMM2 (direct from Anuenue USA) also came with these goodies, sans the strap (I would not use a sound hole hook on the AMM2, maybe not even on others, so this was no loss). Did you also receive extra sets of strings?
I'm curious to see if I receive the same goodies with my UC-10 via HMS, or if that's a direct-site bundle only.
(No biggie if not, but I do enjoy the things that come with things I enjoy. :))

Did you receive the linen-look gig bag featured up to this point, or the gingham-gutsed blue one shown on HMS? I like the look of the original linen one better (I don't reallly need the pocket, so prefer the more neutral, streamlined original), but hey-- at least the newer one is BLUE. :D

~ S.

Strangely, it didn't come with an extra set of strings. I was kind of surprised by that. It isn't a big deal for me, as I have *many* sets of strings on hand, but I did notice it.

The "extras" might just be an Anuenue USA thing, not sure.

The gig bag is a more linen look. I'll try to get a picture of the case (and the goodies) with the instrument later today and post it.

I tend to prefer the natural beauty of wood grain as well, but... I suspect (but can't prove) that part of the way they can sell a solid spruce top at this price point is that they are taking the spruce that doesn't look "pretty" and using it in a model that is painted.

Still sounds nice though!

Oh, I find looks to be very important! :D
I wouldn't like these UC-10s if the entire body was painted, but the retro vibe of the contrast between the painted top and the mahogany back and sides-- set off with the binding-- really floats my boat.

My preference, far and away, is for wood grain-- but, with the world (and, er, my immediate environment) flush with lovely examples of solid wood of various species and visual appeal, this is a fun and welcome addition.

~ S.

This is in the price range of a "step up from my first uke" and appears to be an excellent entry in this $150 - $200 marketplace. The solid wood top checks some boxes here. The color choices will likely appeal to many. For those that don't like this look, they have other finished wood solid top models to choose from.

It looks to be a good fit into the marketplace. They will likely sell a lot of them, just maybe not to this crowd.

I didn't know if I would really embrace the sound either, but it really is something nice. I also usually prefer a deeper tone, but while this one is bright, it isn't really "thin", if that makes sense?

Definitely does. I've played many solid top laminate back and sides ukes that still have a nice complexity in their sound and lots of resonance in the high frequencies. No real reason to doubt that with this one.

Interesting... It looks like you removed the "strum guard" on the upper bout. Was it difficult to remove?

Ah, the 'strum guard'-- I thought you'd be on this one! :D

When I first wrote to Anuenue USA last September, I asked if it was easy to remove this piece. At that time, they said they did not recommend trying; it was unclear to me if the area underneath was possibly unfinished, or they were simply concerned about damaging the painted surface via removal.

In the months following, I became accustomed to the look of the guard in the pictures, etc., and appreciated that it matched the linen-look gig bag. So, I was good to go!

Upon arrival, two things stood out:
1) The unpleasant spongy raised thickness of the guard. It reminds me of a 50s padded plastic tablecloth. Ugh. Just, cheap-feeling icky plastic that would clearly not hold up. Had this been a smooth/harder/thinner piece of material, I may have considered allowing it to abide.

But, making it worse:

2) The guard on mine was applied poorly, possibly even recently: it wasn't flush with the edge of the upper bout, but actually protruded slightly, especially at the point of that last little 'hook' at the lower right

I simply pinched the protruding part between my thumb and forefinger and gently pulled and rolled the guard up and away, and it slowly came right up. There is zero evidence on the (pristine, painted) surface underneath that it was ever there.

My takeaway: the guard is a misstep on Anuenue's part, primarily in materials. The guard possibly stays put if 1) flush and 2) never tugged, but its adhesive is definitely on the post-it note end of the spectrum (the exposed backside barely sticks to anything now, once removed). I also foresee the edges getting ratty-tatty over time; the material is several layers, and looks like it would delaminate too easily.

Removal: all caveats of course apply: the longer a guard is on a top, the more likely one might develop tan lines, and the guard might prove more challenging to pull off cleanly. (I'm grateful this was so simple, with no heat or Goo Gone, etc. indicated).

[Sigh]

One other cosmetic note: the matte finish on the laminated back and sides had some uneven points, sharp little 'catches' here and there. I don't prefer the sound or feel of matte finishes regardless, and almost always buff them to satin with 0000 steel wool; doing so in this case left the wood with a nice 'hand,' less noise, and took care of the finish-whatevers. Ahhhh.

Over and against the above two cosmetic issues, the nut, saddle, and fretboard edges of this ukulele are all smooth, or at least, not sharp. I've encountered sharp/unfinished edges on many other entry level ukueles for sure, and sometimes on much more expensive ones... A pet peeve.

And, the grand: I love this thing! The aesthetic makes me smile, and it has such a bright, clear tone. Mine plays supremely well; I hoped it would, coming from HMS with their setup, but-- always welcome, for everything to just feel so good!

~ S.

My takeaway: the guard is a misstep on Anuenue's part, primarily in materials. The guard possibly stays put if 1) flush and 2) never tugged, but its adhesive is definitely on the post-it note end of the spectrum (the exposed backside barely sticks to anything now, once removed). I also foresee the edges getting ratty-tatty over time; the material is several layers, and looks like it would delaminate too easily.

I rather like the idea of what they were going for, although the execution isn't ideal. The asymmetric look that mimics the Bird series is neat, and a strum guard on a beginner instrument isn't a terrible idea.

But you are absolutely right, the material really does remind me of a tablecloth too. I wish it was a harder material that was more flush with the surface rather than the squishy stuff they used.

Still, all told, it is a neat instrument!

I think it looks nice minus the guard. A little attention to the finish to your liking and sounds like you like the way it plays. Very cool Uke. Nice ! :D

That’s excellent news about the pick guard. That was a showstopper for me, but now I include this model on my list of potential purchase. Choosing a color, now that’s another matter.

Last edited:
Congrats! The paint on top would be a deal-breaker, for me, I'd rather see wood-grain. But I'll bet a lot of kids would adore these ukes, and probably play the paint right off. They do sound nice!

I rather like the idea of what they were going for, although the execution isn't ideal. The asymmetric look that mimics the Bird series is neat, and a strum guard on a beginner instrument isn't a terrible idea.

With all of this, I agree. After my first query, I became fond of the retro-funky look, learning that it's shaped to evoke the Bird Series silhouette helped, and a strum guard on the *painted top* of a beginner instrument does make sense!

But you are absolutely right, the material really does remind me of a tablecloth too. I wish it was a harder material that was more flush with the surface rather than the squishy stuff they used.

Still, all told, it is a neat instrument!

:)

I think it looks nice minus the guard. A little attention to the finish to your liking and sounds like you like the way it plays. Very cool Uke. Nice ! :D

Thanks! For what it is, and its intended place in my mind and rotation, I am confident it's going to be a favorite.
[A previous Ohana solid-top/laminate back-and-sides disappointed me; this one's definitely an upgrade, at a lower price point.]

That’s excellent news about the pick guard. That was a showstopper for me, but now I include this model on my list of potential purchase. Choosing a color, now that’s another matter.

I'm glad if I could help, all caveats firmly in place. *My* strum guard was very easy to remove, but I would have had a very bad sad if I'd marred the finish trying. True to form, when in doubt I go faster to get through the stress sooner. That doesn't always work out [understatement], but this time it did. :D

Yes, it is surprisingly nice. Although, coming from aNueNue, you would expect it to be nice. I have a Coral version.

Ah, nice! I'll bet that one looks even prettier in person.

Congrats! The paint on top would be a deal-breaker, for me, I'd rather see wood-grain. But I'll bet a lot of kids would adore these ukes, and probably play the paint right off. They do sound nice!

In general, I love to see wood grain! Specifically, I would not have purchased this particular ukulele if it were brown. So, there you have it....

But yes, it will be interesting to see how the paint holds up (or not) over time, in various hands.

~ S.

Top Bottom