Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 479 - Destination Known

I lived in the Yukon (Whitehorse) for about 10 years (1988 - 1998).
    Of the places mentioned in this song (Canol Road - Stan Rogers), I've been to all of them

Carmacks, Haines, and Carcross. Teslin and Johnson's Crossing.
    I've driven the Canol Road from Ross River to Johnson's Crossing.

I've also spent many nights in the Kopper King pub.
    I may have been on stage the band was "not hot" - LOL.
    (well that can't really be true, the song was released in 1981)

This song is pretty challenging for me. I've been working all week to write it out, transpose, and learn it as best I could.

I even got into costume for this video (the hat, which I acquired while I lived in the Yukon).
    Now that I've done the Yukon video I'll be glad to shave again!

Last edited by Gerald_G; 04-25-2021 at 06:43 AM.

Chris Isaak had an album by this name in 1993. The title track

Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

You're very good at coaxing songs out of people, Liz! Here's the one I did at the open mic last night. As I said, I was a bit hesitant to post this, because it really feels to me like it should be sung in a Scottish accent, especially given the topic of the song. It's about Scotland's long history of emigration, and wishing it wasn't that way. It's a sad song (most of my favourites are) and should perhaps be sung with a bit more anger and sadness than I'm willing to inflict on my neighbours. Anyway, I like singing it, so here it is.

My twin brother joined in for the chorus and added a few diddly-hups here and there.

I've been to a few of the places in this song. The nearest one to me is Methil, home of East Fife football club, also known as "East Fife 5 Forfar 4" (or, occasionally, East Fife Nil. Ho ho.)
    - Edwin

re: Stan Rogers.

I am grateful for this week's theme because it gave me a chance to hear more music by Stan Rogers.
    Stan is the composer of one of Canada's songs that is so popular, it is considered by many to be our second national anthem. That song is called "North West Passage" and I (as well as I believe every Canadian) know it well.
    (That along with the Hockey Night in Canada theme song, being another "second anthem".)

Because of this season, I listened to more of Stan's music, and for that I thank the UU, and this season's host.
    I still have a lot to listen to as well.

Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald_G View Post
    re: Stan Rogers.

I am grateful for this week's theme because it gave me a chance to hear more music by Stan Rogers.
    Stan is the composer of one of Canada's songs that is so popular, it is considered by many to be our second national anthem. That song is called "North West Passage" and I (as well as I believe every Canadian) know it well.
    (That along with the Hockey Night in Canada theme song, being another "second anthem".)

Because of this season, I listened to more of Stan's music, and for that I thank the UU, and this season's host.
    I still have a lot to listen to as well.

Thank You!
    A few years ago. CBC Radio had a listeners' Poll to find the symbolic Canadian song. NW Passage was a finalist, but at the top of the poll was Ian Tyson's Four Strong Winds.

Dedicated to Vermont USA, which we both have enjoyed visiting or living in over the years. Thanks again, Liz!

Last edited by good_uke_boy; 04-25-2021 at 11:39 AM.

Two weeks in a row now that I havent managed to learn the song I set out to, transposed sheet music for etc. I am sorry to miss the season, but I have listened to the playlist, good stuff there!
    Playing:
    Anuenue AMM tenor - Magic Fluke Koa Tenor - Cocobolo concert - Kamaka Tiki concert - Cort concert - Ohana LN soprano.

Another one from my album-to-be, once again set at Harvard. I never attended Harvard as a student, but I walked through the Yard and passed through Bradstreet Gate to get to the bus stop or to work.

Another homemade song... A gazillion years ago, when the world and I were young, I went on a riding holiday with a company called Northumbria Riding Holidays. My first week was Learn to Ride, or in my case, learn to just stay on, while the horse goes where he likes! Week Two was Trail Riding - I joined a group of much more experienced riders, we all stayed together at the Dale Hotel in Allendale, and rode out, in every kind of weather, for wonderful long days on the moors. The horses I rode were all delightful, and luckily knew exactly what they were doing, even if I didn't! Originally, Northumbria was a mediaeval Anglo-Saxon Kingdom, the name means "the people and land north of the Humber"... in modern times the name refers to Northumberland, County Durham, and Tyne and Wear. Blah... long story short - gorgeous part of the country. Very clever horses.

lynda

i'm interested in one thing, and one thing only. and that's the eighties.

Original song featuring the Griffs! Thanks Del and Kevin!!

Anight at a campsite near Boulder, Co.

Last edited by Martinlover; 04-25-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Thread Information