Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 479 - Destination Known

It's funny how the universe sends you a song. Friday last week during a conversation with a client at work at some point it was brought up that 1996 was 25 years ago. That's the year my family moved to San Diego and it seemed a profound realisation , as these things often do to me. A little bit later I was putting together a video for my artist page on facebook (please follow it! Link in sig) of me switching the desk in my living room from work mode to home studio mode as I've got a week off and planned to do some serious work on my album (managed to get three tracks laid down in addition to my seasons vids so time well spent).

Anyway, I soundtracked that video with a little improv but there were some parts that I really liked although I didn't think they'd ever end up as a song because normally I need to write lyrics first. Then comes Liz with this theme about places from your past, and her encouragement to keep doing videos. So I figured let's write one about San Diego. On top of that my eldest has recently become obsessed with riding his scooter and I'm getting a nostalgia hit because the street we live on is on a slope similar to the one that me, my brother and all the other kids in our street used to take ownership on every afternoon having scooter races and bad as it sounds it got me thinking that that age, probably 7 or 8, just a bit older than my son is now, was probably the last time I was properly happy and anxiety free, but then maybe we all are at that age before adolescence and cataclysmic changes to your life hit you.

Anyway, I've managed to compress all that into a three minute song that I've contorted around some riffs I made up on friday.

Last edited by RAB11; 04-22-2021 at 06:19 AM.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Facebook

YouTube

I have been to all these places, too. Lived in LA for the better part of a decade!

The site truncates my signature so I can't tell you

Sydney has a beautiful harbour

paoriginal
    Last edited by pabrizzer; 04-22-2021 at 11:03 PM.

This song is one of the first that I ever learned to play by ear, on guitar, back when I was in Junior High School.

I used to sing it with Susan Marinucci and Ken Bascue - I wonder where they are now?

Little did I know at the time that I would spend 1975-1979 in Salem and Clarksburg, WV going to college and working as a Top-40 DJ.
    (But I got better, and became a firefighter/paramedic)

So without further adieu, from the archives of Henry John Deutchensdorf, Jr - a.k.a John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads.
    (In my little green-screened Zoom classroom, without a fake background...)

Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    This song is one of the first that I ever learned to play by ear, on guitar, back when I was in Junior High School.

I used to sing it with Susan Marinucci and Ken Bascue - I wonder where they are now?

Little did I know at the time that I would spend 1975-1979 in Salem and Clarksburg, WV going to college and working as a Top-40 DJ.
    (But I got better, and became a firefighter/paramedic)

So without further adieu, from the archives of Henry John Deutchensdorf, Jr - a.k.a John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads.
    (In my little green-screened Zoom classroom, without a fake background...)

Hi Kurt! I am unable to view your video... Liz
    Liz

Quote Originally Posted by lizbrinker View Post
    Hi Kurt! I am unable to view your video... Liz
    Liz
    All set now.
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

I have been to both Scotland and Hawaii - Technically I was in Scotland twice, having flown into Paisley, meandering down to Wolverhampton, over through Wales, up through Cambria, and back to Glasgow. But it was a single trip, so only once, I guess, in the grand scheme of things.

Hawaii, three times : Once to plan a Science Fiction Convention, once to help put on the science fiction convention, and once for a wedding. So Hawai'i, Maui, and O'ahu.

One of these days, I'll go back...

A couple of instrumentals - a very brief "Scotland the Brave" and what I originally learned as "Hawaiian War Chant"... until aHula Dancer I met told me that it had nothing to do with war, and that her mother would spank all the kids for singing "that dirty song".

According to Wikipedia, ""Hawaiian War Chant" is an American popular song whose original melody and lyrics were written in the 1860s by Prince Leleiohoku. The original title of the song was Kāua I Ka Huahuaʻi or "We Two in the Spray." It was not written as a chant, and the Hawaiian lyrics describe a clandestine meeting between two lovers, not a battle. The English title therefore has nothing to do with the song as it was originally written and performed in Hawaii."

I like that explanation a lot better - and I never did hear it played in Hawaii on any of my trips there... I never heard it played when I was in Scotland, either!

To the best of my knowledge, both of these songs are in the Public Domain.

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Ok, folks, we've passed the halfway point, and we are up to 38 submissions for the season! Today I received 8! Lucky me! Six covers about every far-flung place and 2 wonderful originals. Here is a short recap: PaBrizzer, Mark C, Rob, Stanley, Rick, and Kurt sang me songs about Canada prairie towns, Spain and it's romantic vibe, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Los Angeles/San Francisco/Montana in ONE SONG, and beautiful West Virginia, respectively. The originals today were from Ryan and Pa and were about growing up, with all that that entails, in a town in California called Temecula on a street called Corte Carmello (findable on Google Maps, trust me) and about Sydney Harbor. Spoiler Alert: YOU GET TO SEE SYDNEY HARBOR!!! Needless to say, I am one happy chappy, even though I'm not really a chappy at all. Where shall we go tomorrow???

After a lengthy break from most social media and online stuff, I really wanted to get something posted for Liz's first week as a host. This song mentions Lake Poncartrain which is an estuary that connects with the Gulf of Mexico in Louisiana. I've been through there and across that bridge many a time Being from the South, there is a lot of language in this song that describes what the weather is like down here. Thanks for taking a turn as host Liz ~

Talk less, play more . . . .

Ah, Chicago on a nice summer day in 2007... didn't expect to get into an argument with my ukulele.

Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

Thread Information