Fit a Baritone ukulele with tenor strings

oldden

Reaction score
A friend has been given a baritone ukulele , is it ok to just to change the strings to make it play like a tenor one instead of a baritone ?
Oldden

It's somewhat common, especially for those with larger hands, to tune a baritone to GCEA. However, you need to use much thinner—lower tension—strings to be playable, and even then the tension may be uncomfortable to many ukulele players. Those used to steel string acoustic guitars won't give the extra tension a second thought! I've setup a few baritones thus (roll my own fluorocarbon strings):

1 = Seaguar Pink Label 40 LB, .022"
2 = Seaguar Pink Label 50 LB, 0.026”
3 = Seaguar Pink Label 80 LB, 0.032”
4 = D'Addario Pro Arte silver wound .028"

Yes to the above. To be clear, there are special baritone string sets made for g,C,E,A tuning and you would buy those special sets rather than a tenor string set if you didn't want to go to the trouble of making up your own custom set.

To add the conversion a thinner string is necessary to lessen tension. I have used concert gauge strings with good results. But because of the extra length needed you will have to go with Worth strings which are double length. That does make it more expensive

Thanks for the reply’s, only having played a tenor ukulele myself I was a bit stuck. I will pass the info on to him.
Oldden

Yes you can but why would you?

Answer to reply, .... why would you....
My question was not to help me.. A friend was given a ukulele for Christmas, but it was a baritone, which I don’t think is the ideal one to learn on, it was a present so he does not want to change it, so the best idea seems to change the strings for now.

Top Bottom