NUD: aNueNue AMM3 - long

Cadia

Reaction score
I admit I've spoiled myself lately. I've gotten 4 really nice new ukes within the last couple of months, and all of them are worthy of a NUD. But this is the first NUD that I've actually posted on here, because I'm just blown away by the Anuenue AMM3 that arrived today. Some background info on this purchase first - I had been wanting a mahogany Tiny Tenor and/or a Romero Creations SM (oversized mahogany soprano) for quite some time, as I don't have a mahogany uke and I do love the way mahogany sounds. I had been perusing the Ukulele Site for months, waiting for the right Tiny Tenor to pop up, or the aNueNues, which were also on my wish-list. The RC oversized soprano finally showed up, but in koa. One was REALLY attractive, so I decided to buy it with the plan that I would get the Tiny Tenor in the mahogany I wanted. Shortly thereafter some mahogany Tiny Tenors were listed, but none of them had that deep rich color I preferred. While I debated, they of course got sold. But then some really striking mango ones were listed - 3 of them I thought were gorgeous, and I couldn't decide which one to choose just based on looks. I made a choice, and after some email exchanges with Mika at the shop he confirmed the sound qualities for me. And so I had two very nice ukes that would be coming. But then they got the aNueNues in. The Moonbird has been on my want list, but I couldn't justify spending that much more on another uke having just bought 2. However, when I saw the AMM3 mahogany tenors, which are so reasonably priced, I remembered some the of good recommendations on here and decided to give it a try. I chose a nice deep, rich colored one that makes the abalone rosette stand out nicely. The headstock is slotted, with an attractive ebony headplate that the pretty mother of pearl aNueNue logo stands out against like a hologram. Sometimes slotted headstocks provide too much string tension for me as I have some arthritis in my finger joints, so I tend to avoid them. But the action is easy and comfortable on this AMM3. The tone of this uke is as beautiful as its looks. The African mahogany is resonant and warm. It has excellent clarity and really good sustain. And it is surprisingly loud. I was concerned that it might be a little on the quiet side, but no worries there! The fretboard has a slight radius which is not really noticeable, but barre chords seem to be clear. In fact, I usually avoid barre chords, and I can play them on this uke. Wow. The neck is slightly flattened at the back, which makes the gloss neck nicer to play. It seems to be about 36mm wide at the nut, but still feels roomy enough. All in all this is a beautifully made, wonderful sounding uke for a midrange price of $599, with case. It sounds and feels like a uke double that price. ANueNue, I am impressed!

Editing to add pics in the first post - anuenue_amm3 front.jpg anuenue_amm3_12568-1.jpg

Last edited:
I love my Mahogany Tiny Tenor. If I didn't have a substantial custom build ($$$) coming due at the end of this year, I'd be seriously considering an AMM3. Congratulations!

Congratulations on the purchase. You picked up a great one.

Very good review. From your description it seems that aNueNue has another winner with the AMM3. Congratulations. I'm glad you were able to get one in the dark rich color you prefer.

Congrats on the AMM3, Cadia. I enjoyed reading your story about how you came to own a number of great ukes in such a short time. As it happens, I had my eye on that very same attractive koa RC soprano on the Ukulele Site. While I was trying to decide if it was more than my budget could afford, someone bought it. Now I know who that someone is. :)

Congrats on your uke!

I remember getting mine after browsing the interwebz for a higher end ukulele and listening to sound samples. After listening to the moon bird sound samples, I saw a video with a sound sample for this one. And listening I discovered that the sound of this suited my particular taste better. And even though I was looking for a concert uke, I bought a tenor like this. A gorgeous uke indeed!

Congrats on the new uke! I had the concert AMM2 for a while myself. They are fantastic ukes and in my opinion the best value for money at that price range, easily. I love how the AMM models look and feel traditional yet modern at the same time. I think these are really classy looking ukes. I didn't really fancy the fairly chunky slotted headstock on the concert but I've no doubt it suits the tenor perfectly. The African mahogany they use indeed gives these ukes a surprising amount of clarity while still having some warmth to the sound. Fantastic ukes, fantastic brand.

Very good review. From your description it seems that aNueNue has another winner with the AMM3. Congratulations. I'm glad you were able to get one in the dark rich color you prefer.

Thanks, Kenn2018. It is indeed a winner!

Congrats on the AMM3, Cadia. I enjoyed reading your story about how you came to own a number of great ukes in such a short time. As it happens, I had my eye on that very same attractive koa RC soprano on the Ukulele Site. While I was trying to decide if it was more than my budget could afford, someone bought it. Now I know who that someone is. :)

Lmao! The SK has a good home, I promise. Nice size for travel, too, and big on sound for a soprano. I like these!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new uke! I had the concert AMM2 for a while myself. They are fantastic ukes and in my opinion the best value for money at that price range, easily. I love how the AMM models look and feel traditional yet modern at the same time. I think these are really classy looking ukes. I didn't really fancy the fairly chunky slotted headstock on the concert but I've no doubt it suits the tenor perfectly. The African mahogany they use indeed gives these ukes a surprising amount of clarity while still having some warmth to the sound. Fantastic ukes, fantastic brand.
I agree with your assessment. So glad I got this! I'm not a fan of slotted headstocks, but it is fine on this uke.

Cadia, I also purchased an AMM3 very recently. I believe that they are from the same litter. I really enjoy the "punch" that a mahogany instrument provides. With my cranky left hand the radiused fretboard is a Godsend. Happy Strumming

Man you people around here have gotten all soft....nobody said......”no pictures it didn’t happen” :p

I am sure it is as beautiful as you say and congratulations but please share that beauty with us.

Just wanted to add my praise for the AMM3. Mine just delivered yesterday and I can't imagine getting a better uke for $599. Got mine from AnuenueUSA. Took only 3 days to travel from Hawaii to eastern USA ($50 shipping). Sounds great. Gonna be a tough time deciding whether or not to pick up my KTM-00 ($1200) or my AMM3 ($600) when it comes playing time. If you're looking for a high end ($1K+) uke but don't have the money, strongly consider the AMM3. If I hadn't known anything about it and you told me it was a $1K uke, I would've said "sounds about right."

Note: it comes with some basic high G fluorocarbon stings. I didn't care for them. It didn't really start to "sing" until I put some low G strings on it (Thomastik wound G&C, Worth clears for E&A).

Last edited:
Sounds like a great pick up Cadia. Been eyeballing that uke for quite some time. The sound samples online sound great and especially the ones with low G (which is my preference). Congrats!!

Congrats on your new babies!
I hope you'll show us some pics when you have time.

Congrats on your new babies!
I hope you'll show us some pics when you have time.
Here's the front, from HMS's site. It's a deep rich, glossy mahogany, very pretty with the tone to match its good looks. Very light build -
anuenue_amm3 front.jpg anuenue_amm3_12568-1.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to add my praise for the AMM3. Mine just delivered yesterday and I can't imagine getting a better uke for $599. Got mine from AnuenueUSA. Took only 3 days to travel from Hawaii to eastern USA ($50 shipping). Sounds great. Gonna be a tough time deciding whether or not to pick up my KTM-00 ($1200) or my AMM3 ($600) when it comes playing time. If you're looking for a high end ($1K+) uke but don't have the money, strongly consider the AMM3. If I hadn't known anything about it and you told me it was a $1K uke, I would've said "sounds about right."

Note: it comes with some basic high G fluorocarbon stings. I didn't care for them. It didn't really start to "sing" until I put some low G strings on it (Thomastik wound G&C, Worth clears for E&A).
I strongly agree with your assessment! Mine came set up with low g, though, from the Ukulele Site. Low g suits this uke very well!

@Cadia,
Congratulations, and thanks for the great write-up!

I have the AMM2, the smaller sibling. Speaking of which...

Congrats on the new uke! I had the concert AMM2 for a while myself. They are fantastic ukes and in my opinion the best value for money at that price range, easily. I love how the AMM models look and feel traditional yet modern at the same time. I think these are really classy looking ukes. I didn't really fancy the fairly chunky slotted headstock on the concert but I've no doubt it suits the tenor perfectly.

This is interesting to me, because for the most part I still don't know quite what to think of my own AMM2.

It's different than what I expected, but I've yet to be able to articulate how. Now that I have an Anuenue UC-10 with which to compare (same body size), I'm able to isolate some features-- I believe the frets are taller (or squarer?) than those on my other ukuleles, and the neck + headstock are bulkier/heavier. I believe it's the frets that might lend the AMM2 a 'crunchier' feel than others of the same scale length and fret spacing...? the playing experience feels tight, somehow.

My approach has been to play the AMM2 almost exclusively for a while, to find out what it is, and in doing so have become increasingly fond of it. It's a terrific instrument, and I'm determined to make the most of it. (That this requires purpose/effort baffles me, hence my musings.)

Cadia, in your signature you reference a Rebel Tenor as your BFF (this makes me smile). I love my own Rebel Concert, no lernign curve or meta-appreciation required.
If you go back and forth between your Rebel and the AMM3, what do you notice?

~ S.

Spieler, I love them both. They both have the sound and easy playability that I look for in a uke. They are both light, resonant builds. My AMM3 doesn't have tall frets like you speak of, and I find the string spacing ideal for me. In all honesty, my Rebel has taken a back seat as the KoAloha KTM, the Tiny Tenor, a custom, and now the AMM3 have come in. So I haven't directly compared the two. When I get a chance I will do so, and see if I can notice differences - besides the radius fretboard on the aNueNue, of course.

Top Bottom