Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing with a Group - In Person!

Default Playing with a Group - In Person!

Yesterday, nine of us met in a church parking lot and played for over an hour. We were distanced and wore masks, but the singers sang. (I'm not a singer.) All of us had both our Covid shots.

Two things were funny: as people arrived, we weren't sure who they were, and they didn't recognize us. I haven't cut my hair in over a year, and I haven't shaved in a couple of months, so even without a mask, some people don't recognize me. Also, we had difficulty talking to each other and being understood. It's surprising how much we rely on seeing lip movement to understand what people are saying.

It was windy, and that was a problem. I'll have to give that some thought. Using my Kindle didn't work in the bright sun, but we all had our yellow and blue Beloff books.

It was definitely invigorating playing with the group again. I was energized for the rest of the day.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Our local group has been meeting outside in people's green belt areas for a couple months. I went to a couple, it was great to see some people in person I haven't seen in a year. The first time, I played bass and had a good time. The second time, I was playing my uke out in the "audience" and really couldn't hear the leader over my uke! I've gotten so used to zoom jams, it's so easy, you don't have to leave the house! I am looking forward to getting back to "normal" whatever that's going to be. It may be soon in my area, the Rec Centers may open up next month!? Our music room is really big. Outside is not going to work after this week, it's getting a little too hot in AZ. Other groups, it may be a while, one group meets in a restaurant and it's pretty tight.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

I'm suffering from the double whammy when it comes to group playing. We moved just when Covid got going around here. So, I don't really know any local players yet. I'm going to have to wait until the big groups start getting together before I'll have the chance to play with anyone else. I envy you guys!
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

A gentle reminder: Just over half of the adult population has had one shot of the vaccine. Only 30% have had their second.

The vaccines are 95 - 97% effective to prevent being infected by the Covid-19 virus. They are, so far, 100% effective for preventing serious complications and dying.
    The effectiveness is much less for infection from the variant strains of the virus. Protection from serious complications is less with the variants, but exact numbers are not known.

So, wear your mask, practice safe distancing, play outside if possible, and have fun.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    A gentle reminder: Just over half of the adult population has had one shot of the vaccine. Only 30% have had their second.

The vaccines are 95 - 97% effective to prevent being infected by the Covid-19 virus. They are, so far, 100% effective for preventing serious complications and dying.
    The effectiveness is much less for infection from the variant strains of the virus. Protection from serious complications is less with the variants, but exact numbers are not known.

So, wear your mask, practice safe distancing, play outside if possible, and have fun.
    Thanks for the reminder. I'm just now recovering from the side effects of vaccination #2 which packed quite a punch, but I've lost track of how many people I know or have been in contact with via work who have had COVID, and one friend died, so I'll take that short lived feeling of knocked down & miserable over that.

There have been people who have been fully vaccinated who have died from COVID, so it hasn't been 100% effective at preventing deaths or hospitalizations, but fortunately, so far, still impressively effective.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...eople-n1264186

Jerry, I had the realization last week that there are people at work who I wouldn't recognize *without* a mask. Kind of the opposite of your problem. I've never seen their faces. A strange thought!

Glad that people are able to start playing outdoors, (still seems like winter here!), and interacting with others, even if from a distance and while masked.

I'm not brave enough yet for that, (worried I could pass along COVID, for one thing, since in the last few weeks, I know of 3 people I've been exposed to during that asymptomatic period before they got sick & tested positive), but it's reassuring that there are signs of life returning to normal out there. We'll get there!
    Last edited by Joyful Uke; 04-21-2021 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. I'm just now recovering from the side effects of vaccination #2 which packed quite a punch, but I've lost track of how many people I know or have been in contact with via work who have had COVID, and one friend died, so I'll take that short lived feeling of knocked down & miserable over that.

There have been people who have been fully vaccinated who have died from COVID, so it hasn't been 100% effective at preventing deaths or hospitalizations, but fortunately, so far, still impressively effective.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...eople-n1264186

Jerry, I had the realization last week that there are people at work who I wouldn't recognize *without* a mask. Kind of the opposite of your problem. I've never seen their faces. A strange thought!

Glad that people are able to start playing outdoors, (still seems like winter here!), and interacting with others, even if from a distance and while masked.

I'm not brave enough yet for that, (worried I could pass along COVID, for one thing, since in the last few weeks, I know of 3 people I've been exposed to during that asymptomatic period before they got sick & tested positive), but it's reassuring that there are signs of life returning to normal out there. We'll get there!
    I think I might go to every other weekly session. One woman didn't seem to be able to find her nose with her mask.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I'm definitely looking forward to this! Just got my second shot (just now! I'm in the 15 minute waiting area). Even with that it's going to be a slow roll back into anything resembling normal, but I'll get together with a few carefully selected friends once we're all set and the weather cooperates. Lovely out now -- good porch pickin weather -- but expected to get wet before the two weeks to full effect kicks in.

I run the San Francisco Ukulele Rebellion, which used to meet twice a month in indoor public spaces (the seating area at a supermarket and a local cafe) and would meet outside from time to time during warm weather months. We've been meeting on Zoom since last April. I'm now contemplating scheduling an outdoor in-person meeting for May or June with the requirements that attendees have received their second shot more than two weeks prior (proof of vaccination required), attendees wear masks at all times, and attendees practice social distancing. That may be a little over the top, but I take the responsibility of providing an opportunity for people to meet in person during a pandemic seriously. Nobody is getting sick on my watch.

Singers masks are available. They make the people who wear them look like ducks, but they provide your mouth with space to inhale deeply and exhale heartily while singing without the mask getting in the way. Friends who have them highly recommend them.

One of the side effects of my two vaccination shots (Pfizer) was an urge to return to my pre-quarantine look. (I was hoping that this look would be from the 1990s, but I'll settle for immediately pre-pandemic.) It's the people I met on Zoom last summer during Zoom jams who don't recognize pre-pandemic me.

Also, I've had hearing issues for a long time and the pandemic mask-wearing has made me aware of how much I rely on informal lip-reading to actually hear what people are saying. Talking to people with masks has been frustrating not only because masks muffle voices but also becauseI can't see people's mouths moving.

You folks down south are lucky to be so far ahead with your vaccinations and even starting to get together in person to play. I’m just a little bit jealous!
    I’m still waiting for my first shot and the second will be four months or so down the road from the first. So still lots of time for working on my fingerstyle lessons solo safely isolated at home and zoom meetups will continue for us for the foreseeable future.
    Klos Tenor (carbon fibre)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)
    Maui Music Tenor (koa)
    Lone Tree Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)
    Kamaka Long Neck Soprano Pineapple (koa)

My jam is outdoors and we started back up in the fall and have been meeting weekly ever since. We kept our distance and those who felt the need wore masks. Most of us have been vaccinated quite a while ago but we still stay further apart than we did before Covid. I look forward to when we all get back normal. We play and sound better when we are close together.

Several bluegrass jams here have been meeting regularly. One neighborhood uke group started back a few months ago. It’s indoors but folks sit apart and a few wear masks. There are a few groups still out on break but most have been coming back. Again, most nearly everyone is vaccinated.

Thread Information