La Pacifica ukulele

Steve K.

Reaction score
Local Craig's List has a beat up La Pacifica uke listed. No tuners and no bridge saddle. Decorated with white figures dancing. Looks like art deco style.

I cannot find anything online about La Pacifica ukuleles, although there is a lot about banjoleles from that company.

I know enough to put it in playable condition, but not whether it is worth bothering to buy and do so. Can anyone give me any information on the brand and whether it will be an acceptable instrument for playing?

I like to tinker with stringed instruments, but I play what I fix, and I don't want to waste my time.

Thanks

Steve K.

Do you mean perhaps 'La Pacific' without a final a at the end?

According to Lardy, they were a brand made by the Globe Music Co. in St. Charles near Chicago, Il.

https://sites.google.com/site/ukulelemakers/ghij/globe-musical-instrument-co

Thanks for answering, ukulelekarsci. I went back and looked at the posting. The poster did use the "A" at the end, but there is nothing in the photo to confirm or deny what the text says. I will do a bit of research for La Pacific. If Instill cannot find it, I will post a link to the ad. Perhaps someone will recognize the photo.

My search for La Pacific ukuleles not only turned up information, it turned up the very ukulele I was interested in!
The Craigs List post had been preceded by one on ebay, with a starting bid of $250 and some clearer pictures, showing the La Pacific label on the headstock! Evidently the uke got no bids on ebay. So, back to my original question, with a one letter difference; will this "La Pacific" ukulele be worth my while to bring back to playable condition?

Here is a link to the CL post: https://rochester.craigslist.org/msg/d/rochester-vintage-la-pacifica-ukelele/7312263816.html

My name's Karl (Karcsi is the Hungarian variant) and you're welcome!

The tuners are missing, but that's only a few dollars to replace them. The body doesn't seem cracked, but I suspect it's either laminated or birch. If it's light, it could be quite resounding. My concerns would be the braces (the sticks glued on the inside; if they're loose it's quite some effort to glue them back) and the fact that the neck seems loose and askew.

It is very rare, but I would ask some questions on its condition before buying, and it certainly will take some work to bring it up to moderate to good playability. There's no prewar Martin in it, but it could be much better than new sopranos at that price range.

Thanks for the assessment, Karl!
I like to pick up rare instruments and put them in playing condition. I bought a Chris adjustomatic guitar that was only made in the '50-'60s era. It has an adjustable neck to change the action angle, but was all messed up. I was able to fix it up and shim up the neck pocket to hold it straight. I repaired a dilruba with a broken off headstock and put on stratocaster tuners to replace the broken guitar tuners that were on it.

Neither is worth much, I'm sure, but both sound pretty good now that I fixed them up. I've worked on other stringed instruments, so I believe I can tackle the uke. The guy wanted $30 for it after I offered $20 a couple weeks ago, so it isn't going to be a huge cash outlay, in any case.

I was kind of taken with the dancing figures on the body. I may just clear coat over them to protect them, if I buy.
I am starting to wonder if La Pacifica and La Pacific are different iterations of the same company. La Pacific seemed to specialize in banjoleles, just like La Pacifica.

Thank you again for your assistance, Karl. Whatever I decide to do, I will have the benefit of your expertise to help me!

Steve

Top Bottom