NUD Eddy Finn PNUT

don_b

Reaction score
PXL_20210422_005625428.jpg
PXL_20210422_005636706.jpg
PXL_20210422_012719366.jpg

https://www.eddyfinn.com/mahogany-peanut-ukulelepeanut-ukulele.html

I received this Uke as a gift from my wife and daughters for my birthday. It came shipped from Uke Republic. Action set at 2.5mm at fret 12. It has a really weird sound, like playing from an old mono radio or something. Easier to hold than it looks. It's just a bit longer than a soprano, I have included a photo to show the scale next to a soprano.

I like it and it's an interesting piece to talk about and share. My only real critique is the lack of fret markers along the side of the neck. I rely pretty heavily on those when playing, and I'm honestly not really convinced there's ever a benefit to excluding them from a design. It renders the instrument less useful to me than my others.

But for me this is more of a decorative, "hey check out how crazy this one looks and sounds" piece than it is a workhorse in my arsenal. So that's OK. For anyone who would want this to be their primary uke, I would not recommend it. First because of the lack of the fret markers along the side of the neck, and second because of the odd tone and low volume. Even when I slam the s** out of this thing, it's not very loud compared to my other Ukes of any size. For me, this piece is a fun curiosity. It is not worthless as an instrument. But it is the oddest sounding, most quiet, least user-friendly uke I own. I still like it a lot for what it is though and I'm glad to have it.

Thanks for the info, been thinking about one of those for a beater/travel/novelty uke. I have heard a similar description of the sound, like an am radio. Didn't realize it was actually longer than a "real" soprano. As I'm sure you are aware, side dots can be added (nail polish, stickers, "real deal" plastic rod).

As I'm sure you are aware, side dots can be added (nail polish, stickers, "real deal" plastic rod).

Yeah, I should have added that I plan to put them on myself. Really was just making a general comment about the decision to exclude them from the design. I feel like there really is no benefit to leaving them out. Maybe from an aesthetic perspective, but on this particular uke I'd have trouble accepting that argument.

These were real trendy a couple of years ago. A lot of people bought them as travel ukes. I think Baz may have reviewed one.

Cool little ukes. Have fun with it.

I ended up getting one of these, only because of price (~$50) and free returns. Nut width is fine, about 35 mm. Neck thickness fine too, def thinner than my Pono, prob similar to a Kala, slightly thicker than Ohana. Action ok, about 2.5-2.75 mm at 12, but just about every fret is sharp on both sides (but fixable). Tuners are not that great (but replaceable). Bland looking bridge and sound hole are slightly off center. The kicker is that the sound is not nearly as horrible as I was expecting. Has a bit of that AM radio sound, perhaps similar to an O'nino but way better than those. Overall not horrible, just kinda meh all around, not digging it enough to keep so far, so it will probably go back.

Thanks for the quickie review of the "peanut." It's much like I thought it would be.

Slight swerve: I'm still baffled why dots are on the front of fretboards.

Attachments

• SAM_0478.JPG
    SAM_0478.JPG
    721.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thanks for the quickie review of the "peanut." It's much like I thought it would be.

Slight swerve: I'm still baffled why dots are on the front of fretboards.
Haha I feel like i could do ok without the front dots as long as I had the side dots. If this is your uke, you're just a wreckless maniac.

View attachment 133685
View attachment 133686
View attachment 133687

https://www.eddyfinn.com/mahogany-peanut-ukulelepeanut-ukulele.html

I received this Uke as a gift from my wife and daughters for my birthday. It came shipped from Uke Republic. Action set at 2.5mm at fret 12. It has a really weird sound, like playing from an old mono radio or something. Easier to hold than it looks. It's just a bit longer than a soprano, I have included a photo to show the scale next to a soprano.

I like it and it's an interesting piece to talk about and share. My only real critique is the lack of fret markers along the side of the neck. I rely pretty heavily on those when playing, and I'm honestly not really convinced there's ever a benefit to excluding them from a design. It renders the instrument less useful to me than my others.

But for me this is more of a decorative, "hey check out how crazy this one looks and sounds" piece than it is a workhorse in my arsenal. So that's OK. For anyone who would want this to be their primary uke, I would not recommend it. First because of the lack of the fret markers along the side of the neck, and second because of the odd tone and low volume. Even when I slam the s** out of this thing, it's not very loud compared to my other Ukes of any size. For me, this piece is a fun curiosity. It is not worthless as an instrument. But it is the oddest sounding, most quiet, least user-friendly uke I own. I still like it a lot for what it is though and I'm glad to have it.

Yes, that is a cute little uke. A couple of people in my group, including myself, got one of them for $45 when they were an IndiGoGo project. Apparently, Eddy Finn absorbed it into their lineup. Although it is small and strange, it is usable. It as called the Peanut.

I don't find myself using the dots on this one...it is small and strange, reminds of a Dali image. The side sound hole is small and towards the bridge (more so than Baz's review sample), and I'm not convinced it does anything. seems to me it's best use might be as a beater to have next to the couch while watching tv, something that you don't care gets nicked up. other than sharp frets out of the box, the neck is pretty comfortable...but it still may not be a keeper.

I don't find myself using the dots on this one...it is small and strange, reminds of a Dali image. The side sound hole is small and towards the bridge (more so than Baz's review sample), and I'm not convinced it does anything. seems to me it's best use might be as a beater to have next to the couch while watching tv, something that you don't care gets nicked up. other than sharp frets out of the box, the neck is pretty comfortable...but it still may not be a keeper.
I don't use the dots, either because I'm not talented enough to leave the first few frets. :)

I'd like to see all ukes come with dots on the front and the side.

I ended up painting hot pink fret markers on the side with nail polish.

I ended up painting hot pink fret markers on the side with nail polish.
that's a good solution. cheap, easy and durable. requires a somewhat steady hand to get the the same size and shape, but can be removed and redone as needed.

Top Bottom