Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build thread: baritone scale kiku

Default Build thread: baritone scale kiku

I don’t think I’ve done a build thread on any of my previous projects, so I thought I’d do one on my 6-string baritone scale kiku. If my count is correct, this is my 14th instrument overall, 4th baritone scale instrument, and 11th uke or uke-based instrument. The 20” scale neck profile comes from a free set of plans I downloaded for an Oaktown Strings baritone. One of the images shows the fretboard and a Rosewood neck profile template I used for one of my previous baritones. I’m going to widen the neck to have a 1 7/8” nut. The body comes from a set of plans for a 1940 Gibson L00 parlor guitar, which I reduced to 75%. I used that body drawing for a steel string baritone I built about a year and a half ago. I was very pleased with how that instrument came out, so I’m using that body drawing and body mold again.

The body will be Redwood over Black Walnut. The neck will be Honduran Mahogany, and the fretboard & bridge Ebony. The end graft, bindings, and rosette will be spalted Sycamore. I was down in the shop very early this morning working on jointing the top and back plates and gluing the Redwood top. I’ve adopted Jay Lichty’s method of attaching sticky back sandpaper to the edge of a level to joint the plates. I’ve had mixed success using a jointing plane. I previously thickness sanded all the plates down to .125” for gluing; once the glue is set, I’ll sand the Redwood down to .100” before installing the rosette, and the Walnut down to .085”. I’m planning to string this one eaDGBE. Haven’t decided yet if I will install a pickup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Would the back plates be more stable flipped side-by-side?
    Last edited by printer2; 04-24-2021 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Would the bacl plates be more stable flipped side-by-side?
    Possibly, but I like the pattern I picked better. It didn't look right to me flipped the other way.

Good place to stop for the weekend. I also worked on my smaller tenor ukulele project today. I'll pick up in a couple of days after I work on some chores.

kiku plates.jpg

Nice! Looking forward to seeing this progress
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Southern Cross concert GCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Looks great. Beautiful grain. Keep us posted on your progress. I'm eager to see it finished.
    Regards
    Ed

Nice plate joins there. Joining those weird butt joints on plates is the easiest hardest join on a build. Seamless is what we want. Sometimes surprises me to see the seam on even high end instruments. Tisk, tisk. Should never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyturley View Post
    Possibly, but I like the pattern I picked better. It didn't look right to me flipped the other way.
    The shrinkage/expansion of a flat sawn piece of wood due to humidity changes is about twice as much as the same piece of wood that was cut quartered. Wood that is cut where the grain goes from quartered (more or less) to flat sawn usually is joined at the quartered sides with the flat sawn area confined to the wings if possible.

It looks like when I was editing to correct a misspelling, I accidentally deleted my last post. Thanks to all who've responded. I haven't been able to get in the shop today, but I did do a paper mock-up of the slotted peghead. Once I have everything cleaned up and finalize the peghead shape, I'll use my cheap benchtop CNC to make a peghead routing template as well as the peghead overlay.

peghead v1.jpg

I made another mock-up to work out string spacing and bridge location. Overall length will be 31 3/4", neck width at nut 1 7/8", at 14th fret 2 5/32". The Rosewood bridge shown is a reject from a previous project, but that will be the shape of the real thing. just a bit wider to accommodate 6 strings. This will be a string-through bridge with a thin Rosewood bridge plate and a K&K Aloha Twin.

mockup2.jpg

Thread Information