Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Build thread: baritone scale kiku

I used my cheapo benchtop CNC mill to cut the split saddle bridge for the kiku. It took many trial runs and numerous pieces of scrap wood before I was satisfied with the size of the bridge enough to cut on the one good piece of bridge wood I currently have on hand. The split saddle idea came from discussing intonation of an instrument with double re-entrant strings with Jay Lichty.

kiku bridge.jpg

A bit more CNC work this morning, milling the peghead routing template.

kiku parts.jpg

Cutting the pockets for the floral inlay on the fretboard. Now I'm really done for the day.

DSCF4263.jpgDSCF4264.jpg

After several days of CNC work on parts for the kiku, I was back in the shop early this morning bending the second side and working on the neck layout.

kiku side 2.jpgkiku layout.jpg

The past few workshop sessions have been devoted to a lot of small but necessary steps in the kiku build process. Today was the first major step - joining the sides to the heel and tail blocks.

kiku blocks glued.jpg

The reverse linings have been installed in the top side and sanded flush. I've also been working on the fretboard inlay. Small but satisfying progress.

kiku top linings.jpg

Tapering the underside of the upper bought. Once that is completed, I'll use stiff card stock to make a pattern for the side sound port reinforcing patch. After the patch is in place, I'll glue in the bottom reverse linings, then install the sound port spalted Sycamore trim ring. Slow but steady progress.

tapering.jpg

I'm reminded of a person who posted here about making a soundhole. It was a beautifully done reinforced soundhole complete with decorative purfling. Unfortunately, when he got done he realized that it was on the wrong side! He put it on the down side and not the upside! Bummer man.

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    I'm reminded of a person who posted here about making a soundhole. It was a beautifully done reinforced soundhole complete with decorative purfling. Unfortunately, when he got done he realized that it was on the wrong side! He put it on the down side and not the upside! Bummer man.
    That's why if you look on the left of the above image, you'll see a little circle scribed inside the instrument, reminding me "sound hole goes here!".

My final image for today. All of the tapering is complete, the linings have been installed and sanded flush, and the cross-grain reinforcing patch for the side sound port has been installed. Next up is installing the spalted Sycamore oval trim ring. Unfortunately, the one shown in the image is not the proper size, so I need to make a new one tomorrow. I'm also not up to doing purfling on a side sound port yet.

kiku linings.jpg

The CNC spalted Sycamore sound port ring is glued in place and sanded flush. The inner lip will be rounded slightly when I do final sanding. Next task: bracing the top and back. The final two images are on the next page.

DSCF4267.jpgDSCF4268.jpgDSCF4269.jpgDSCF4270.jpgDSCF4271.jpg
    Last edited by tonyturley; 05-19-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Thread Information