Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: Build thread: baritone scale kiku

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    505

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Little River, California
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    Nice job!... How did it feel when you made that first cut into your side? Well I guess I'm committed now...

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    Nice job!... How did it feel when you made that first cut into your side? Well I guess I'm committed now...
    LOL. Yeah, pretty much. There are certain steps in a build that always feel like a point of no return, and cutting a side sound port is one of them.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    505

    Default

    I took a few days off from building the kiku to work on some other projects, but now I'm back to the braces and tone bars.

    kiku tone bars.jpg

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    505

    Default

    A good place to stop for the day.

    DSCF4297.jpgDSCF4299.jpg

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    505

    Default

    The kiku top and back are attached, the binding channels cut, and the body sanded with 120 grit. I'll eventually sand to 320 grit. Next is installing the spalted Sycamore bindings.

    kiku back glued.jpgkiku top glued.jpgkiku channels.jpg

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Bindings are in place, leveled with the soundboard and sanded. I was reminded again how things can go awry in instrument building. Spalted Sycamore is the most unforgiving wood I've ever tried to bend. It cracked so easily, and I tried it both wet and dry. I had my LMII bending iron on max by the time I was done. The stuff doesn't scrape very well, either. I'm wondering if the fungus that caused the spalting changed the characteristics of the wood. I've worked a little with plain Sycamore, and it seemed to work a lot nicer. Anyway, that's all for today. Tomorrow the bindings get leveled flush with the sides.

    kiku bindings leveled.jpg

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    505

    Default

    I didn't like the way the bindings looked when I was finished, so I routed them out and made a new set from un-spalted Sycamore. No cracks or splits, and they bent very easily. I have them taped in place to hold their shape as they dry. Spalted Sycamore looks nice in the rosette, sound port, and headplate. Don't know if I'll ever try to use it for bindings again.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Cutting the rear binding channels on a tapered body is always tense. Although I've done this on half a dozen instruments now and "think" I have it down pretty good, in the back of my mind is the knowledge that a goof here can ruin the project.

    kiku back channels.jpg

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Waiting for the glue to cure on the replacement top bindings. The rear bindings are mostly scraped flush. Good place to stop for the weekend.

    kiku bindings update.jpg

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •