Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Build thread: baritone scale kiku

Nice job!... How did it feel when you made that first cut into your side? Well I guess I'm committed now...

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    Nice job!... How did it feel when you made that first cut into your side? Well I guess I'm committed now...
    LOL. Yeah, pretty much. There are certain steps in a build that always feel like a point of no return, and cutting a side sound port is one of them.

I took a few days off from building the kiku to work on some other projects, but now I'm back to the braces and tone bars.

kiku tone bars.jpg

A good place to stop for the day.

DSCF4297.jpgDSCF4299.jpg

The kiku top and back are attached, the binding channels cut, and the body sanded with 120 grit. I'll eventually sand to 320 grit. Next is installing the spalted Sycamore bindings.

kiku back glued.jpgkiku top glued.jpgkiku channels.jpg

Bindings are in place, leveled with the soundboard and sanded. I was reminded again how things can go awry in instrument building. Spalted Sycamore is the most unforgiving wood I've ever tried to bend. It cracked so easily, and I tried it both wet and dry. I had my LMII bending iron on max by the time I was done. The stuff doesn't scrape very well, either. I'm wondering if the fungus that caused the spalting changed the characteristics of the wood. I've worked a little with plain Sycamore, and it seemed to work a lot nicer. Anyway, that's all for today. Tomorrow the bindings get leveled flush with the sides.

kiku bindings leveled.jpg

I didn't like the way the bindings looked when I was finished, so I routed them out and made a new set from un-spalted Sycamore. No cracks or splits, and they bent very easily. I have them taped in place to hold their shape as they dry. Spalted Sycamore looks nice in the rosette, sound port, and headplate. Don't know if I'll ever try to use it for bindings again.

Cutting the rear binding channels on a tapered body is always tense. Although I've done this on half a dozen instruments now and "think" I have it down pretty good, in the back of my mind is the knowledge that a goof here can ruin the project.

kiku back channels.jpg

Waiting for the glue to cure on the replacement top bindings. The rear bindings are mostly scraped flush. Good place to stop for the weekend.

kiku bindings update.jpg

Thread Information