Season 480 - I don't normally like tomatoes, John...but this is delicious!

Here is my first contribution to this Season. It is definitely on the tomato theme, but also veers towards the idea of insisting on liking something that you initially didn't like.

Hope you enjoy:

I was looking forward to this week, especially Tomato songs, but I threw my back out on Saturday and I can't sit still long enough to play a tune without crying out in pain.
But I can imagine a number of other Seasonistas doing a fine job of Guy Clark's Homegrown Tomatos and/or the old standard by George Gershwin and his lovely wife Ira Let's Call The Whole Thing Off. (You say "tomayto" and I say "tomahto") Those are my requests. Anybody?

I hope I'm feeling better before the week's over. I have a few more tomato songs and a couple that I like by singers I'm not fond of. . . and I did realise that George and Ira were brothers - just being a smartass to forget about the pain.

Last edited:
I was looking forward to this week, especially Tomato songs, but I threw my back out on Saturday and I can't sit still long enough to play a tune without crying out in pain.
But I can imagine a number of other Seasonistas doing a fine job of Guy Clark's Homegrown Tomatos and/or the old standard by George Gershwin and his lovely wife Ira Let's Call The Whole Thing Off. (You say "tomayto" and I say "tomahto") Those are my requests. Anybody?

I hope I'm feeling better before the week's over. I have a few more tomato songs. . . and I did realise that George and Ira were brothers - just being a smartass to forget about the pain.

Poor you, Jim ... hope you're better soon!

I hope I'm feeling better before the week's over. I have a few more tomato songs and a couple that I like by singers I'm not fond of. . . and I did realise that George and Ira were brothers - just being a smartass to forget about the pain.

Really sorry to hear that, Jim. I was really looking forward to seeing what you would bring! Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and I hope you're back playing before the end of the week. Take it steady and all the best.

Ok, people! Thank you to all the contributions so far!
I was pretty nervous about hosting but you are all making it a very enjoyable experience!
Two days in and I think that every available option has been covered! We've had songs you like from bands/genres you don't, songs you don't like from artists you do, songs aplenty about tomatoes, wonderful originals too!
Playlist should be up to date. I'm looking forward to what the rest of the week brings!
Cheers! X

I grew to hate the music of the Flaming Lips when I was a college student in my early 30s. I used to study at an on-campus vegan cafe that usually played great local music on their stereo. But they also played a Flaming Lips album that I grew to despise as I heard it more and more.

I'm also pretty sure I hate their music because I'm so jealous of their success. All the bands I was in back in the 90s played similar indie pop music, though without the appeal or quality of Flaming Lips' music.

Before their music started sounding bad to me, I liked some of their songs. Like this one that has a scientific, searching-for-a-cure theme that works well for me today - I'm going to get my second coronavirus vaccination shot in a few hours.

Stay safe and healthy, y'all!

I'm planning on Guy Clark, if I can get the time - we have a wake coming up, I have to help my wife at the Yarn Shop Thursday after work,, need to work on Mom's plumbing somewhere in between...

But I damned well love that song!

I didn't add any overdubs, though, because that would have involved listening to it again.
lol!

but I threw my back out on Saturday and I can't sit still long enough to play a tune without crying out in pain.
chiming in with everyone else to wish you a speedy recovery

the old standard by George Gershwin and his lovely wife Ira
lol!!

there is a great book called "fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe" and they made a wonderful film out of it too... here's a bee's eye view of a little homemade song inspired by the love story at the heart of it all...

System of a Down's song "Chop Suey" for concert ukulele with singing, overdubs of Ashbory Ubass and secondary vocal. A text to voice app was used to record the "prayer", and is also the source for the floaty weird sounds that infiltrate the mix near the end.

I don't really know any other music by System of a Down, and I don't even know why I know this song, but it was just about the only song in my entire repertoire that fits the season theme. I managed to throw in a tomato reference for those paying close attention.

This one took me forever to put together, what with recording the voice to text bits and all the vocal processing, but the core sound is just one uke, one ubass, and two voices.

Cheers BobJ for the hosting the first of what I hope are many Seasons!

Tthe Wasteland the hollow man by TS Elliot are poems that I've never been able to appreciate or understand.
yet the naming of cats is one poem that I love. improvised melody

lol!

chiming in with everyone else to wish you a speedy recovery

lol!!

there is a great book called "fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe" and they made a wonderful film out of it too... here's a bee's eye view of a little homemade song inspired by the love story at the heart of it all...

Toowanda
You're just a bee charmer, Idgie Threadgoode. That's what you are, a bee charmer.

I grew to hate the music of the Flaming Lips when I was a college student in my early 30s. I used to study at an on-campus vegan cafe that usually played great local music on their stereo. But they also played a Flaming Lips album that I grew to despise as I heard it more and more.

I'm also pretty sure I hate their music because I'm so jealous of their success. All the bands I was in back in the 90s played similar indie pop music, though without the appeal or quality of Flaming Lips' music.

Before their music started sounding bad to me, I liked some of their songs. Like this one that has a scientific, searching-for-a-cure theme that works well for me today - I'm going to get my second coronavirus vaccination shot in a few hours.

Stay safe and healthy, y'all!

Hi Ralf!

Beautiful bring as always! I'm trying to leave a comment on YouTube but you have comments turned off.
Hope everything went well with the vaccine!

Hi Ralf!

Beautiful bring as always! I'm trying to leave a comment on YouTube but you have comments turned off.
Hope everything went well with the vaccine!

Thanks, Bobby! No clue how comments got turned off. Huh.

Welp, they're turned on now. I encourage Flaming Lips likers to leave Flaming-Lips-positive comments :p

So this is the second category. The only White Stripes song I'll actively skip on any of their albums. It's just noise and nonsense really, trying to be a bit avant garde but not even coming close. And it's got that daft American way of saying Aluminium.

Well Bob, you asked for it, so I blame you for this;). This is the U2 song I like the least, which is called Desire. I guess I find it to much of a "country" song which for me really does not fit with U2.

Ouch! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programing to announce that the season 479 wrap-up has just been posted. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Top Bottom