Season 480 - I don't normally like tomatoes, John...but this is delicious!

Finland is a country that manages its forests well. The trees are known as green gold
Deforestation in Borneo is not so good. The headhunters believe the forest is their skin.
and no man can't live without his skin.
Headhunters blues is an original song.

Had to get this one in. It's a Half Man Half Biscuit song about the things you might find down country lanes, if you're not careful. Going down there for plum tomatoes is not a good idea!

This is one I hadn't heard before, it is pretty new, and I never listen to Taylor Swift, so when it popped up on youtube I gave it a listen was surprised to find that I liked it!

I hope you like it too!

Last edited:
SOTU 480 - "Dancing Queen," by ABBA. My musical tastes have always tended towards roots music - folk, rock, country and blues so ABBA were definitely not something I cared for at all. However, several years ago I heard a spirited humorous cover of this song by Americana singer-songwriter Robbie Folks that I absolutely loved, so I immediately thought of it for this Season's theme. Thanks to Kevin for collaborating. We had a lot of fun doing it. Tomatoes were available but we forgot to include them.

Last edited:
In the mid-2000s I was in high school and there was sort of a turf war going on between which big, bombastic rock opera you preferred, Green Day's American Idiot or My Chemical Romance's Black Parade. Green Day were a bit more punk and MCR were at the forefront of the emerging emo scene, and as I was a bit closeted and self conscious in those days I gravitated towards Green Day because i didn't want to go full on emo. If I'd had my time again i might have gone differently.

Anyway, as with all things stupidly tribal when you're a kid, i refused to see any merit in Black Parade even though I'd never listened to it the whole way through. A few years ago as a grown man it ended up on the radio and as I wasn't as blinkered as i used to be, I had to concede that actually, yes, the title track was a tune and maybe being an emo wouldn't have been such a bad thing. Anyway, here it is.

Hiya, Bob! And, thanks for hosting! Here's one I found after googling "songs with tomato in the lyrics", by Stick Martin. Martin Hoffman joined me on UBass. I am trying to recruit him into the SOTU fold. Thank you, Martin! It's about a woman who REALLY loves her tomatoes.

Stella Killed Stanley
Stick Martin, 2000

P.S. let's see who recognizes those character names from literature.
P.P.S. so far, the reviews on this one have been mixed, gender-wise.
P.P.P.S. I don't grow tomatoes and have my murderous rages well in check.

Last edited:
This is the only Kiss song I like, but that might be because I never listened to any others. This is my take on I was made for loving you.

Morning, people!

We're already into the second half of the Season! A big thank you to everybody who has contributed so far!
Keep 'em comin', folks! X

So here goes... I don’t like Status Quo! Hugely popular since forever here in the UK (they formed in 1962), but hardly at all in the US - I’m with our friends across the pond on this one! However - when I first heard this song on the radio in 1986 I thought the DJ had made a blooper when he said it was by Status Quo! But he was right! :eek:
I’m less surprised to discover that they didn’t write it (it’s originally by a South African-born Dutch duo called Bolland and Bolland), and is an anti-war song, widely assumed to originally be a rather late protest against the Vietnam War.
Cheers again for hosting Bob - hope you’re enjoying it! :)

Hiya, Bob! And, thanks for hosting! Here's one I found after googling "songs with tomato in the lyrics", by Stick Martin. Martin Hoffman joined me on UBass. I am trying to recruit him into the SOTU fold. Thank you, Martin! It's about a woman who REALLY loves her tomatoes.

Stella Killed Stanley
Stick Martin, 2000

P.S. let's see who recognizes those character names from literature.
P.P.S. so far, the reviews on this one have been mixed, gender-wise.
P.P.P.S. I don't grow tomatoes and have my murderous rages well in check.

it uses the characters from a streetcar named desire which sstarred Marlon Brando.
but miss dubois stole the show with a line I have always depended on the kindness of strangers

They did a nice BBQ as well 😂🤪
Secret's in the sauce!!!

Ok, imagine, if you will, a person who absolutely cannot stand Justin Bieber. (I've no doubt he thinks very highly of me, but still...) Imagine again that this person has also never seen the point of Ed Sheeran (I like the look of that little guitar he plays, but it's not enough.) So, imagine then, the absolute horror, when this person heard that there was going to be a song BY THE BOTH OF THEM. TOGETHER. AT.THE.SAME.TIME. Just imagine how awful THAT would be?! Well actually, to my immense surprise, I actually really rather liked it...

So I don't really like rap. I used to absolutely despise it but as I've matured I can at least appreciate its musical merit even if I still don't think it's for me.

This is a stone cold classic no matter the genre though and has some downright iconic lyrics.

Massive respect to Loftur for doing this sort of thing most weeks. This is sloppy as anything but it's the first take I got all the way through.

"You and I" is the only song by the Scorpions that I like. I don't know much of their music, perhaps that's just not my genre. But I have a soft spot for this song, because in 1996 the summer days were long and sunny and radio played "You and I"...

(My version sounds like I hated this song, but honestly, I like it. :))

Here is one that I used to hate.

Bruce Springsteen is my favorite performer and one of my favorite artists. I love Bruce's work deeply. Except for a couple of songs - the most prominent one being Glory Days. It never did it for me. It was annoying. And, worst of all, Bruce seemed to really like it. He performed it frequently, to my mild dismay. (Nothing could make me really dismayed at Bruce.)

A few years back, the band led by Bruce's drummer, Max Weinberg's Jukebox, was playing at a local venue. Of course, I went. Before the show, I had dinner with my best friend, who was coming to the show, and conversation turned to Bruce. I told him how I really didn't like this song.

We went to the show and it was great. Max was charming and funny, and the band was top notch. The audience called out songs for them to do from a long list that scrolled by on a screen behind them. Great fun.

At the end of the show, Max said "If anyone in the audience ever wanted to sing with a member of the E Street Band, this is your chance. Come on up on stage." I waited to respond - about 1 second - and went running up. And the song? That's right, Glory Days. And it was a complete gas - one of the biggest musical thrills of my life. I can't hate the song any more.

Max and band came back a few months later, and I was able to repeat the experience. Heaven!

Top Bottom