Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Moore's tang nipper

Default Chuck Moore's tang nipper

I want to nip my tangs, and remembered that Chuck did his with a dremel at one time, so found his post on it and took a shot at it myself. Had to order some thicker cut off wheels, 'cause currently I'm just slitting the ends of the fretwire. The discs are bigger in diameter, too, which is why the recessed hole on the board appears oversized for the current cut off wheel. Mine uses the stewmac dremel plunge router base to hold the router, and it allows me to set the height where I want it. The base plate has a couple of threaded holes I was able to screw right into to hold it on, and then I added the c clamp to the other side for added stability. It works even with the slit, as I can easily remove the bottom half once it's been slit. Thanks for the idea, Chuck!

tang-nipper-01_PXL_20210425_050114440.jpgtang-nipper-02_PXL_20210425_050105397.jpg

Nice, however for the price of a dremel and a stewmac router base, you could just buy fret tang nippers.

Most folks already have a Dremel and a router base, need not be Stew-Mac, , so additional cost should only be a cut-off wheel, and those are pretty cheap. Fret tang nippers don't work all that well on small uke fretwire.

Matt, I use the reinforced cut-off wheels. They are bigger but more importantly thicker. The only improvement you might find
    necessary in your jig is to use aluminum or brass guide plates for tangs. Otherwise you’ll wear that groove out pretty quickly. I’ve done 600 or 700 fret boards worth of wire and I’ve worn out a couple of pairs of guides. BTW, I couldn’t see cutting tangs any other way. Love mine.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Oh, and I also have one side for straight wire and the other for radiused wire.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    Nice, however for the price of a dremel and a stewmac router base, you could just buy fret tang nippers.

True, but I already had them, and those nippers are like $70!

Chuck,
    For a long time I've used the edge of a knife sharpening belt sander to do the under cut. Takes some hand skill, but is extremely fast and clean cutting. I would like to try your jig though. Are those the Dremel wheels that say "fiberglas reinforced 1/32" thick"? Available locally or Amazon? Thanks, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    Matt, I use the reinforced cut-off wheels. They are bigger but more importantly thicker. The only improvement you might find
    necessary in your jig is to use aluminum or brass guide plates for tangs. Otherwise you’ll wear that groove out pretty quickly. I’ve done 600 or 700 fret boards worth of wire and I’ve worn out a couple of pairs of guides. BTW, I couldn’t see cutting tangs any other way. Love mine.

Thanks for the tips, Chuck! Appreciate it.

I use StewMacs fret cutters to cut the the tangs off:

stewmac-fret-cutter.jpg

These are not ideal as it can ruin the edge on the cutting edges and it always leaves a bit behind that has to be ground off with a dremel grinding disk. What I need to buy are these:

stewmac-deluxe-fret-tang-nipper.jpg

But they cost $80!!! Sorry Jose, no sale.

Caution: If you do use a grinding wheel, be careful not to overheat the fret wire or it will discolor and ruin the piece. Also wear eye protection. I've had a red hot sliver shoot past my head and you do not want to catch one of these in your eye unless you want to look like a pirate for the rest of your life.

You don’t need an expensive Dremel...you can buy small inexpensive electric motors that are almost the same as the ones Dremel uses.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Thread Information