Barnes and Mullins BMUK5C Concert - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Another great review, thank you.
This is a uke that I very nearly bought about 6 months ago. It was a toss up between this and the Gresse concert uke (also under the Barnes & Mullins name).
I went for the Gresse due to the solid spruce top (for about the same price).
I've always fancied this model ever since I started playing. Its solid spruce top, spalted maple laminate and gloss finish make this a real stunner...from a distance.
Close up, it feels quite plasticky and suffers from the same finishing issues on the fretboard. Even the the fretboard is edge bound, they've managed to achieve sharp fret ends especially down at "the dusty end".
The fretboard is dry (which can be sorted), but the surface is quite rough - almost like they forgot to sand it smooth after it had been sawn.
I don't mind the narrow neck, my fingers are obviously not as chunky as Baz's. My uke has a compensated "nubone" (or similar) saddle with a plastic nut - why couldn't they be consistent and have them both nubone or both plastic?
Anyway, for the price I don't think it's too bad, but I do agree with the points made by Baz regarding quality control.

Yes, I much prefer the 'look' of the Gresse too.

But yep - seen a lot of B&M ukes - the final finishing and QC is always a bit shoddy.

Top Bottom