Recommendations for the best beginner book and DVD for Adults

Tukanu

Handmade 2B Hand Played
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am getting ready to send a uke to a friend who has never played. What would be a good book and DVD for self-training. I think a child's book and songs would not be as motivating as something geared toward an adult.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Are DVD lessons still being published? Seems to me those went out of style 10 or more years ago. The books with video lessons that I see now are all internet-based. If you're going to go for internet-based lessons, why not go for something like UkuleleUnderground.com that is entirely internet-based?

DVD was a bad choice of words...shows my age. I should have said a beginner's book with CD. Something I can toss in the case when I ship it. I realize most instruction is by the internet, but a book seems like a more personal gift.

DVD was a bad choice of words...shows my age. I should have said a beginner's book with CD. Something I can toss in the case when I ship it. I realize most instruction is by the internet, but a book seems like a more personal gift.
You can gift that course and include a gift card. They have that option on the site.

David, if you are sending one of yours, you have a very lucky friend. I would second the very beginning course of James Hill. Yes, he wants to lead you into one of his other paying courses, but he does a great job with those and I would guess his comfortable style would show through on the beginning course.

As for true beginners' books with CDs, I'm not sure if there is any current or old book that works as well as something like Hill's course. However, if your friend knows nothing about music, a classic book with CD is Mel Bay's First Lessons Ukulele. Not great, but something to use when not at a computer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom