Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Recommendations for the best beginner book and DVD for Adults

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    241

    Default Recommendations for the best beginner book and DVD for Adults

    I am getting ready to send a uke to a friend who has never played. What would be a good book and DVD for self-training. I think a child's book and songs would not be as motivating as something geared toward an adult.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Are DVD lessons still being published? Seems to me those went out of style 10 or more years ago. The books with video lessons that I see now are all internet-based. If you're going to go for internet-based lessons, why not go for something like UkuleleUnderground.com that is entirely internet-based?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tukanu View Post
    I am getting ready to send a uke to a friend who has never played. What would be a good book and DVD for self-training. I think a child's book and songs would not be as motivating as something geared toward an adult.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    This is probably the best way to start https://www.uketropolis.com/offers/goBZ57eR/checkout

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    241

    Default

    DVD was a bad choice of words...shows my age. I should have said a beginner's book with CD. Something I can toss in the case when I ship it. I realize most instruction is by the internet, but a book seems like a more personal gift.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tukanu View Post
    DVD was a bad choice of words...shows my age. I should have said a beginner's book with CD. Something I can toss in the case when I ship it. I realize most instruction is by the internet, but a book seems like a more personal gift.
    You can gift that course and include a gift card. They have that option on the site.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Hello I've bought so many Ukulele books I can't keep track... but the best book that made my Ukulele journey exciting would be Kiyoshi Kobayashi Ukulele Jazz.
    It is more of a song book that comes with a CD than an instruction booklet. However there are beginner instruction in the booklet, including chord chart, fingering, and explaining some techniques.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/48...NI2R1TL2&psc=1

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    389

    Default

    David, if you are sending one of yours, you have a very lucky friend. I would second the very beginning course of James Hill. Yes, he wants to lead you into one of his other paying courses, but he does a great job with those and I would guess his comfortable style would show through on the beginning course.
    Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    This is probably the best way to start https://www.uketropolis.com/offers/goBZ57eR/checkout
    As for true beginners' books with CDs, I'm not sure if there is any current or old book that works as well as something like Hill's course. However, if your friend knows nothing about music, a classic book with CD is Mel Bay's First Lessons Ukulele. Not great, but something to use when not at a computer.
    Last edited by Ed1; 04-28-2021 at 08:20 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •