Intonation problem - on one string.

Wineshop

Reaction score
Hey! So I changed the strings on my Luna concert ukulele and now the E string has horrible intonation. It's spot on played open, as are all the other strings. But by the time I'm at the 3rd fret it's rolling sharp and just gets worse up the fretboard (all others are fine). I'm a long time guitarist - but only been on the ukulele for a few years. This is the first time I've changed the strings, but this was not an issue with the original strings, and I didn't alter anything else. And I changed the strings one at a time to keep some stress on the saddle. I've occasionally gotten hold of a bad guitar string in a new set - but what are the chances I got a bad one in my first ever string change? Doesn't seem likely to me, so I was hoping someone here had some advice.

FYI - I went from the original Luna strings to a set of Ernie Balls (been using them on guitars for years so I went with someone I knew)

Thanks!.

I didn't even know Ernie Ball made ukulele strings. You didn't put steel strings on did you? :p

It does seem to be an odd coincidence but if the other 3 strings are fine that would tend to eliminate a lot of other culprits. Martin M600s would be a cheap way to check

I didn't even know Ernie Ball made ukulele strings. You didn't put steel strings on did you? :p

It does seem to be an odd coincidence but if the other 3 strings are fine that would tend to eliminate a lot of other culprits. Martin M600s would be a cheap way to check

Nope - Ernie indeed makes a set ukulele strings!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EB2329--ernie-ball-2329-concert-soprano-nylon-ball-end-ukulele-strings-clear

I've actually talked to them and they are concerned, as it's not something they commonly see. (Impressed with their customer service, for sure). Looks like I just may have gotten a single bad string. I bet I've seen that twice in my 40 years of playing stringed instruments! I'll follow up when I know more.

The strings you linked have ball ends, but every Luna uke I've seen has had a standard tie bar. Did you cut the ball ends off and tie the strings on?

Check the fit of the string in the nut slot. It seems pretty common (especially on cheaper ukes) that string slots often aren't cut quite wide enough, which means when you put fresh strings on they don't initially sit all the way down into the nut slot - and a high slot can cause intonation to go sharp as you're describing.

The strings you linked have ball ends, but every Luna uke I've seen has had a standard tie bar. Did you cut the ball ends off and tie the strings on?

Check the fit of the string in the nut slot. It seems pretty common (especially on cheaper ukes) that string slots often aren't cut quite wide enough, which means when you put fresh strings on they don't initially sit all the way down into the nut slot - and a high slot can cause intonation to go sharp as you're describing.

Yeah that ball end is EB's whole product idea. Reading reviews I saw no one who had any issues, so for $5 I grabbed A set. It does sit well in the slot (actually set it up myself). Just very strange. EB is actually sending me replacement set - they are curious what the deal is, as well. I'll put the new set on (or at least the E string) and see what's what.

Thanks!

You didn't say how long you've had the string on the Uke. I've noticed that some strings need time to settle down. But a couple of days should be enough. No offense intended, but are you sure you put the right string on there? The wrong string could perform as you describe.

You didn't say how long you've had the string on the Uke. I've noticed that some strings need time to settle down. But a couple of days should be enough. No offense intended, but are you sure you put the right string on there? The wrong string could perform as you describe.

No offense taken at all ... but yessir, 100% sure it's the right string. And yeah I also considered that it just needed more time. And they do still tend to stretch out of tune, but when I tune them they all sound good while in tune .. except the E string. And it sounds great with open chords/ notes. It's just when I fret the dang thing. I tried the match stick idea I read about somewhere and unfortunately even that didn't help.

Sometimes a string is just a badly manufactured string. Or as mentioned above, it is the wrong string. I had a string that I really liked (an E string) because the entire set was in really good balance. But, the intonation was off. I compensated my saddle by adding a 1mm sliver of bone to just that one string. Near perfect intonation on all 4 strings throughout the fret board. Most people will try another string first. Then go to a compensated saddle if needed.

Tune the E string, third fret, to the G String. Make sure the octave Gs sound right. Then try out the chords that were bothering you. Does that make a difference?

Man I tried that very thing, and when those notes are in tune with each other, the open E is out. So .. this evening I tried something. Just kinda came to me. I swapped the E and G strings. (they did both sit in the nut slots) and ... now the G string was out of tune, exactly like it was when it was the E string. And the new E string (which was the G string) was perfect up the fretboard (well, slightly out due to the fact that it was tuned so low for a G string), but much better. I hope all that makes sense. But that convinces me it's a bad string. Which sucks, but Ernie Ball is making it right and sending me new strings. So when I get them and swap them out I'll chime back in here and update y'all. I sure appreciate the suggestions!

Look at the diameters of the strings not the brand name on the packet.

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that the new string is not the same diameter as the old string, and that the slot in the nut is too high or to low for the new string.

Often buying ukulele string sets is about diameter and materials. If you change the string diameters too much, you will need a new set-up.

Thanks for that suggestion. In this case I think I've narrowed it down to the actual string (see my post just before this). But that's darn good advice for future string changes!

Man I tried that very thing, and when those notes are in tune with each other, the open E is out.

Oh, OK then. How are you going about tuning the open strings? If you're using an electronic tuner, try another one. If you're tuning by ear, then use this procedure:
1. Set your G string to the pitch you like for G. It will be your anchor for the other strings;
2. Tune your A string to the G string, 2nd fret;
3. Tune your E string 3rd fret to your G string;
4. Tune your C string 7th fret to your G string;
5. Check your open C string against your A 3rd fret;
6. Check your open C string against your E 8th fret.

Let us know how that works out.

It does sound like you've narrowed it down to a bad string, and swapping was a good check.

You mentioned your success rate with strings on the first page. I haven't kept track but anecdotally I would say that I've had a much higher "bad string rate" with uke strings than any other instrument type.

It does sound like you've narrowed it down to a bad string, and swapping was a good check.

You mentioned your success rate with strings on the first page. I haven't kept track but anecdotally I would say that I've had a much higher "bad string rate" with uke strings than any other instrument type.

Ahh. That's a good piece of information to have. I guess moving forward I'll order multiple string sets just in case. Because until I get the replacement this thing is unplayable. I tried to just play through it and ignore the intonation problem ... can't do it! (or .. just buy a second uke?? Seems a good enough reason for me).

I would add to that in that of all the strings I’ve had intonation problems with the bulk of them have been Nylon. To be fair the Nylon strings that I’ve happened on in the past haven’t necessarily been high end ones but the experience still stands true.

As for Ernie Ball, I don’t doubt for one moment that they make high quality Nylon strings, but IMHO Nylgut and fluorocarbon just seem to be so much more reliable than any Nylon that I’ve tried. I’m not anti-Nylon and would happily trial a set to see how they work out but success wouldn’t be guaranteed. To my mind there’s scant if any advantage in Nylon so it’s almost a case of why take the risk of such failure? Yet I have and doubtless will do so at some time again, ‘cause when it works properly Nylon’s good.

Edit. I’m inclined to think that Nylon is more subject to inconsistencies both within the material and string manufacture than Nylgut and Fluorocarbon. Rectified Nylon is ground to size and the need for that process indicates to me that as manufactured the line diameter can be quite variable. Not all Nylon strings are rectified so some must be supplied as extruded (so you get what you get), IIRC only one manufacturer claims laser control of the extrusion process and hence very close diameter control using that alternative procedure.

A good tip from Chris below and it sometimes works on other string materials too.

Last edited:
In my experience, this is usually down to a poor tolerance to the string itself.

What has worked for me in the past is untying the string then retying it the other way round (so the nut end is now at the bridge and vice versa). If your intonation is OK after that, you don't need to worry about strings for a while.

You have nothing to lose!

In my experience, this is usually down to a poor tolerance to the string itself.

What has worked for me in the past is untying the string then retying it the other way round (so the nut end is now at the bridge and vice versa). If your intonation is OK after that, you don't need to worry about strings for a while.

Darn good idea! Trying that tonight. Thanks!!

Son of a *%^$#, that worked. You, my friend, are a steely eyed missile man! Never in 40 years of music have I flipped a string around. I sure appreciate it. And VegasGeorge - the same, bro. Thanks for all your advice.

Top Bottom