What instrument for a beginner?

Cypisek

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I am about to buy my first instrument and after doing a bit of research I came to the following conclusion. The Ortega RUEB-SO soprano ukulele is perfect for people who want to learn how to play. It is a good instrument, allowing the user to test their skills. The set comes with a case, so you can transport the ukulele wherever you want without worrying about damaging it. Anyone who wants to start their adventure with music should think about this model because it makes learning to play easier. Another excellent choice is the Luna Mahogany Mo'o Concert ukulele, a concert ukulele with Hawaiian soul, whose sounds put you in a positive mood. The model is attractive and stands out for its nice sound.
My question is, which should I buy: Luna Mahogany or The Ortega?
Thank you!

My opinion is to get the Luna for 2 reasons
1) The other one seems to be $150, and you just don’t need to spend that much on a first uke. Honestly, you don’t need to spend $100 either. Your first ukulele, IMO, should be $60-$70 max and be treated as a proof-of-concept. Make sure you like to play the thing before you spend big money.
2) The Luna is a concert size, which is the most popular size ukulele globally according to a statement made by Daniel Ho at NAMM 2017. It is the size that is most likely to be most comfortable for most people to play on.

The cordoba protege concert uke is nice and inexpensive. It was my first concert size uke and worth looking into or trying out at guitar center or something.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Cordob...MI1brAhcSe8AIV7G1vBB0VswSnEAQYASABEgJAZ_D_BwE

I've been playing uke for around 10 yrs and I've never purchased a uke for over $119, for what that's worth.

Last edited:
I’m sure others will have more considered replies, but as someone who recently started, a big thing for me was body size and nut width. You want to see where your strumming hand hits the uke. Ideally it will be right below where the neck meets the body. I’ve found tenors suited my size best and put me in the most natural position for strumming. Also, I’m a big guy with fat fingers, so sopranos were incredibly hard for me to learn chord on as my fingers would bunch up on certain chord shapes. I found I prefer a 37-38mm nut width (or something with a 28-30mm span between the G-A strings) to give me space for my fingers. Alternative, my tiny wife can play sopranos just fine.

So, questions to consider: how long are your arms and how thick are your fingers. That will help you decide between a concert and a soprano. Others will have more informed opinions on the specific models you mentioned.

Last edited:
I’ve come to the same realization of just how important nut width is. Unfortunately, I know of no beginner/inexpensive ukuleles with wide, 1.5 inch, nuts.

I’ve come to the same realization of just how important nut width is. Unfortunately, I know of no beginner/inexpensive ukuleles with wide, 1.5 inch, nuts.

I think Lanikai ukes are around 1.5” and have sopranos just under $100, but I agree most of the beginner/inexpensive stuff is 1.375”.

I agree with the ‘proof of concept’ statement. My first Uke was a $20 ‘toy’. I had fun ‘playing’ with it so I graduated up.

So unless you are certain you want to invest, go inexpensive. If you KNOW you want to really delve into this wonderful instrument, spend the money and purchase something that won’t frustrate you.

The real problem here is that a beginner needs a decent instrument. Otherwise, it doesn't sound so good, and playing progress can be stifled or severely curtailed. On the other hand, spending too much money on a first Uke is probably a bad idea. For a beginner the tuners have to be accurate, the setup/string height needs to be good. That means, set low enough so the beginner can achieve barre chords without becoming discouraged. Cheap Ukes have notoriously poor tuners, and those sellers rarely do setups. If I were you, I'd rethink the budget, and go for a Uke from a reputable seller who offers a good beginner's setup. And, I'd be thinking of spending somewhere in the $250 range. Buy from a seller who offers setups, but contact that seller and tell them you need a beginner's set up. That way, they will bring the string height down as far as possible for ease of playing.

I am always a bit surprised that there is so much feedback on going cheaper to save money on a first ukulele. I would look for one that sounds good and plays well first. Most "beginner" ukes do not fall in this category since most of those that get one want to "upgrade" once they decide they like it.

I would consider a budget around $200 and then call Mim (or another excellent seller) and give her the parameters of what you are looking for and your budget. Let her guide you to a good choice. You should get a good instrument that plays well to give you the better chance of success.

I would avoid those laser edged Luna models.
I once had a pineapple soprano from that brand, and it dissapointed me. And the review on GotAUkulele of one of their other laser edged models also had a bad verdict.

With this argument I would take Ortega over Luna.
And consider what size you want. The Ortega comes in a concert scale like the Luna, if you want a concert scale.

That being said, neither of the ukuleles have a solid top. If I was to start over, I would start with a solid top. Spend a little more to begin with. If you write which part of the world you live in, I am sure this forum will have lots of solid top suggestions. But I assume you found your two options because you like the looks?

Last edited:
I am always a bit surprised that there is so much feedback on going cheaper to save money on a first ukulele. I would look for one that sounds good and plays well first. Most "beginner" ukes do not fall in this category since most of those that get one want to "upgrade" once they decide they like it.
This! My first uke was a throwaway and money down the drain. It was very quickly replaced by an inexpensive but not cheap (under $200) uke from Mim.

I tried the buy-a-bunch-of-cheap-ukes-in-different-sizes trick to decide which I really liked, and it failed: I discovered that I don't like cheap ukes. I've come back to liking sizes that I hated at first blush once I got a better (but still not expensive) version to play on.

There are cheap and inexpensive gems, but they're trickier to weed out. As a basic heuristic, avoid the brands you find on Amazon (especially exclusively at Amazon) and at chain guitar stores.

Check out @BazMaz' reviews at https://gotaukulele.com . I don't think he's reviewed the specific models you mention, but he's reviewed both of those brands.

Then buy from a trusted seller who built their rep on quality and service. If you have a good local shop (not a big-box guitar store) then start there. Online,
Baz has a good global list of reputable shops at https://www.gotaukulele.com/p/ukulele-stores.html . If you're in the US, Mim (https://mimsukes.com ) has the best selection I'm aware of inexpensive ukes of the reputable sellers. Most of the other good online shops tend a start bit more expensive than the ones you're looking at.

Avoiding the frame challenge and answering the specific question:
My question is, which should I buy: Luna Mahogany or The Ortega?
I'd choose the Ortega. I don't know anything about it, but I've been unimpressed by the Lunas I've played. Completely subjective opinion, but concerts are my least favourite size. I like sopranos for high-G and tenors or baritones for linear. My concert rarely comes out of its case.

Since we don't know how you arrived at your choices, I assume you read a lot of reviews and made your decisions based upon what you like and want that meshes with what you read.

Are you going to buy from a brick & mortar store or online? If from a store, try them out. Make sure that the seller does a setup of the uke. Adjusting string height and fret leveling.

Get yourself a tuner and an extra set of strings.

I know people who enjoy their Ortega, and people who love their Luna. Luna, from what I've read, is a little more spotty in their quality control.

Whichever excites you, the most. Go for it.

My first uke was a Luna. I regret it. Don't get one. Never played an Ortega, so I have no idea.

First uke was a Makala tenor, second a Makala pineapple soprano, third was a Makala concert, nothing wrong with any of them, but my forth was a Kala concert necked soprano, & I still have & play it, whilst the others have gone to make room for others when UAS struck. :)

No matter what advice you get or uke you buy, if you stick with it you’ll most likely end up buying several before you settle on your preferred size(s) (unlike shoes, you can comfortably play several sizes and may end up enjoying playing more than one), neck width, neck depth, string spacing, etc. No matter how good your received advice, you are 99 percent certain to buy another. And another. Just start playing so you learn what you hate and love. I personally think this uke is fantastic and when you buy your more expensive uke you can still keep it as your traveler/beater/car uke. I also personally think it’s good to start with concert size. But whatever you decide, have fun. https://www.amazon.com/Kmise-Concert-Beginner-Instruction-Mahogany/dp/B078NS1ZPY

You know the one approach is just to buy the instrument you want and if you don't like it you can always sell it. I only say this because somebody bought a uke from me a style 2. It was my most expensive uke in my stable. We started talking and through the conversation I realized he was buying it for his daughter as a first time Uke. I actually tried talking him out of it because it was pretty expensive. But couldn't convince the the fellow otherwise. In the end he was a nice chap and I was happy to sell it. I just hope they daughter sticks with it. But if it doesn't work out they can always sell it.

I would recommend calling Mim at Mim's Ukes (540) 505-5444 and getting an entry level concert size. You can get a bag starting at $10 and a uke starting at $100. mimsukes dot com...

Another option is to use guitar center. I won't get a lot of support on that, but because of their return policy you can buy a uke and keep returning it for a different model over and over until you get the one you like.

Last edited:
Another option is to use guitar center. I won't get a lot of support on that, but because of their return policy you can buy a uke and keep returning it for a different model or and over until you get the one you like.

I got my first there, a Cordoba 15M. Took a month to realize that it did not have good intonation when I started chord melody. Made many trips to the nearby GC and have never seen another uke there that I would consider buying. After trying Mim's and The Ukulele Site, I would think hard and long before purchasing a new one without them doing a set up.

I got my first there, a Cordoba 15M. Took a month to realize that it did not have good intonation when I started chord melody. Made many trips to the nearby GC and have never seen another uke there that I would consider buying. After trying Mim's and The Ukulele Site, I would think hard and long before purchasing a new one without them doing a set up.

I have a 15TM from Guitar Center and it plays really beautifully. Luck of the draw, I suppose, which is very much to your point.

You're right about the limited uke selection at brick and mortar GCs. It's pitiful. But you can pick one from their site and order it, and do this over and over until you find the one you want. Not really trying to pump GC too much as I've been burned in the past by them, but for a first timer the freedom to buy and return endlessly off a single initial purchase is valuable freedom for somebody just starting out.

Top Bottom