Which to get Kala koa elite tenor or koaloha ktm?

Aloha1985

Reaction score
I had posted asking about Kala koa elite tenor vs two others. Someone purchased the koa elite before I decided. In further looking for another kala elite, I found a gorgeous koaloha KLM tenor. Both are supposed to be in excellent condition. The prices are pretty much the same. I can’t try them out before I purchase because of the distance. I have a kala 1koa elite concert that I love. I am a relative newbie, and these are above my ability but I want a good instrument that I will enjoy forever. . Any advice would be appreciated .

Last edited:
Hey Aloha1985,

Since you've already got a Kala elite why not try out a differnt brand? KoAlohas are awesome. Neck thickness will probably be thinner vs the Kala Elite. I have a KoAloha soprano and a Kala Elite concert. 2 totally differnt ukes but love em both. I'm more of a variety type of person than staying loyal to just 1 brand and/or size.

I like to be able to pick up any size and any brand and be able to play it. Nothing wrong with sticking with one brand and size but I'd get bored. Mix it up!

After visiting the Hawaiian family operated factories I would never consider a koa uke from another brand. That said, I had opportunity to compare koa gloss elite to KoAloha a couple of years ago and it was surprisingly nice. But it was also in the same price segment as the Hawaiian ukes so there's no point. I might consider one at about 2/3 of the price.

After visiting the Hawaiian family operated factories I would never consider a koa uke from another brand. That said, I had opportunity to compare koa gloss elite to KoAloha a couple of years ago and it was surprisingly nice. But it was also in the same price segment as the Hawaiian ukes so there's no point. I might consider one at about 2/3 of the price.

I am in complete agreement here. A Hawaiian "K" uke at the same price is a better purchase in that they are "authentic", sound and play great, and hold value (so if you decide to part with it, you may sell for about the same as what you pay for this used one). The only way to purchase the Kala is if you actually were able to play them side by side.

The condition is mint. It’s hardly been played. It looks perfect in the photos, and a very interesting wood grain. .Thank you for your advice.

Thanks for the advice. My local shops don’t have much of a selection. I wish I could see and play them before, but I will be going for the Koaloha, as soon as I tell my husband.

I have a KoAloha KTM-00 and it is a wonderful instrument.

Kala is a Chinese company. Yeah maybe it has a workshop on the west coast of the USA, but when you find you need to sell it, the buyer will see a Chinese company.

Kala is a US company. They make their lower- and mid-range ukes in China; just like KoAloha makes their lower- and mid-range ukes outside of US.

Thanks for the advice. My local shops don’t have much of a selection. I wish I could see and play them before, but I will be going for the Koaloha, as soon as I tell my husband.

I think you've made a good choice. Actually, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

BTW, do you know when the KoAloha uke was made?

F3FC73F6-4560-4F98-B593-79094961C4B4.jpgThere are two. Both are the newer model. One was made in 2019, the other in 2020. Both are beautiful, about $150 price difference after shipping etc. I am just trying to decide which. It is difficult from just photos. One seems to have mor variations of colour. I must decide quickly before they are both sold. Thanks again for the help

Attachments

• 548447B2-5A28-4565-A623-1D34B022C1AA.jpg
    548447B2-5A28-4565-A623-1D34B022C1AA.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
View attachment 133828There are two. Both are the newer model. One was made in 2019, the other in 2020. Both are beautiful, about $150 price difference after shipping etc. I am just trying to decide which. It is difficult from just photos. One seems to have mor variations of colour. I must decide quickly before they are both sold. Thanks again for the help

Pick the one you like. If hard to choose, save $150. If they are both at the same shop, ask them if there is a difference in how they play and then choose based on their answer.

I would choose the lower one, if the price was good. Is that the 2019 or 2020?

B59437C5-18E9-484A-9614-5834000FB4C6.jpgI chose the 2020 which was the upper one. They both are beautiful but I liked the off centered look and kept going back to it.FA6518BB-2A6B-4D9C-8627-0AC9A7C11C28.jpg My husband liked that the best too.

Top Bottom